Search found 45 matches

by Kuri
Thu 12.27.2007 12:43 pm
Forum: Translation Questions or Discussion
Topic: 御- O or GO?
Replies: 3
Views: 905

RE: 御- O or GO?

What about 御国 mi and 御身 on?
by Kuri
Tue 12.25.2007 12:02 pm
Forum: Translation Questions or Discussion
Topic: Bankai. Whats it mean?
Replies: 9
Views: 2729

RE: Bankai. Whats it mean?

Dehitay wrote: I've seen that before but I didn't think 卍 was actually a kanji character. Is it coincidence that it looks like the shwasticka (which I can't spell) or is there a reason behind it? Dictionaries are your friend まんじ(卍) (1) インドに伝わるめでたいしるし. (2) 卍の形のもの. (1)A simple which signifies happine...
by Kuri
Mon 12.24.2007 7:01 pm
Forum: Culture and Info about living in Japan
Topic: stereotypes.
Replies: 23
Views: 5676

RE: stereotypes.

I hear Americans have shorter intestines and measure pregnancy wrong.
by Kuri
Mon 12.24.2007 6:59 pm
Forum: Japanese General Discussion
Topic: Arudou Debito
Replies: 39
Views: 9690

RE: Arudou Debito

Wakannai wrote: That's kind of the point exactly, just because somebody looks like something doesn't mean you should treat them like that. Did you forget writing this? You argued that judging people by their looks was inherently wrong. I countered your argument. You did not limit your argument to D...
by Kuri
Mon 12.24.2007 6:17 pm
Forum: Japanese General Discussion
Topic: Arudou Debito
Replies: 39
Views: 9690

RE: Arudou Debito

Wakannai wrote:
See the whole thing I wrote about the way we dress reflects the way we want to be treated.
That's your point? I must've missed something... How is that on topic? Has Debito started walking around with a flag on his lapel?
by Kuri
Mon 12.24.2007 5:32 pm
Forum: Japanese General Discussion
Topic: Arudou Debito
Replies: 39
Views: 9690

RE: Arudou Debito

Wakannai wrote: Even with good intentions, you really shouldn't judge by looks. Actions are of course another matter. So you shouldn't treat a policeman like a policeman because he looks like a policeman? You shouldn't give that person behind the counter your money just because they look like they ...
by Kuri
Mon 12.24.2007 4:13 pm
Forum: Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips
Topic: Question!!
Replies: 38
Views: 6675

RE: Question!!

saraLynne wrote: She clearly has internet access, and that should make it pretty easy to immerse herself in whatever language she feels like. That's exposure, not immersion. Having people around you look at you funny when you ask something that's not quite right, and being forced to figure out what...
by Kuri
Mon 12.24.2007 3:24 pm
Forum: Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips
Topic: Question!!
Replies: 38
Views: 6675

RE: Question!!

saraLynne wrote: You can't conjure up a Japanese speaking environment on a whim, and moving to another country isn't exactly a matter of packing your things and getting on an airplane. Really now, it's not so difficult. And you needn't move to a different country just to change the language around ...
by Kuri
Mon 12.24.2007 2:21 pm
Forum: Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips
Topic: Question!!
Replies: 38
Views: 6675

RE: Question!!

everdream wrote: ^She learnt English by living in an English speaking country(I Presume), so, it'd be prettyhard to do the same in Japanese. So? Create a japanese speaking environment, or move to one. Listen, understand, speak. Read, understand, write. She got good at english by doing that everyday...
by Kuri
Mon 12.24.2007 2:17 pm
Forum: Japanese General Discussion
Topic: Arudou Debito
Replies: 39
Views: 9690

RE: Arudou Debito

keatonatron wrote: Let's try this... assume you were working at a hotel when a tour bus pulls up, and a bunch of guys get off wearing "I [heart] NY" shirts, clutching little novelty American flags, and not speaking a single word of English. That's pretty much the only way I think of someone not loo...
by Kuri
Sun 12.23.2007 10:33 pm
Forum: General off topic
Topic: why not men?
Replies: 10
Views: 3613

RE: why not men?

I think I was watching "Can you speak American?" or some such programme, and they mentioned that a particular company (I forgot which) chose a female voice because the men and women in the panel felt like a male voice was speaking down to them, instructing them, and the female voice was more general...
by Kuri
Sun 12.23.2007 10:29 pm
Forum: 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)
Topic: Shiritori 〜2〜
Replies: 2044
Views: 533394

RE: Shiritori 〜2〜

繋がる
つながる
by Kuri
Sun 12.23.2007 10:21 pm
Forum: Culture and Info about living in Japan
Topic: Kanji names
Replies: 42
Views: 11722

RE: Kanji names

shiohigari wrote: Well, I'd just like to know if any of you gaijins use Kanji for your names. Wtf, I go out of my way to say words like Japanese instead of takas or syouwas and I get lumped together with a bunch of outsiders. Any of you gaijin なんて shiohigari wrote: A Japanese friend of mine gave me...
by Kuri
Sun 12.23.2007 10:11 pm
Forum: Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips
Topic: Question!!
Replies: 38
Views: 6675

RE: Question!!

How did you learn English? You seem to be passable in that.

Same method should work for japanese.
by Kuri
Sun 12.23.2007 10:08 pm
Forum: Japanese General Discussion
Topic: What's a 'word'?
Replies: 41
Views: 9742

RE: What's a 'word'?

Word noun 1 a single distinct meaningful element of speech or writing, used to form sentences with others. 2 a remark or statement. 3 (a word) even the smallest amount of something spoken or written: don’t believe a word. 4 (words) angry talk. 5 (the word) a command, slogan, or signal. 6 (one’s word...