Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Profile Names And Signature Pictures.

Profile Names And Signature Pictures.

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

Profile Names And Signature Pictures.

Postby Christian_ » Wed 09.07.2005 4:43 pm

I have two questions. Is there a way someone could allow japanese characters in the profile name or do I have to use romaji, it would be nice if foriegn characters could be used. (Im pretty sure that doesnt take long and its simple or something if its long hard and annoying to do then dont worry about it).
My second question is if pictures for signatures are allowed and how to do them. any help would be appreciated. (sorry if i sound like a nag just adding some suggestions). (Sorry if im annoying I probably am) ありがとう。

-クリスチャン。
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

RE: Profile Names And Signature Pictures.

Postby raevin » Wed 09.07.2005 9:02 pm

Kurisuchan wrote:
I have two questions. Is there a way someone could allow japanese characters in the profile name or do I have to use romaji, it would be nice if foriegn characters could be used. (Im pretty sure that doesnt take long and its simple or something if its long hard and annoying to do then dont worry about it).
My second question is if pictures for signatures are allowed and how to do them. any help would be appreciated. (sorry if i sound like a nag just adding some suggestions). (Sorry if im annoying I probably am) ありがとう。

-クリスチャン。

For your name...I think so (everything else lets you use Japanese...so why not?).

2nd question..[*img*]http://www.image_url_here.com/image.jpg[*/img*] (take out the asterisks (*) first though)
raevin

Native language: English

Postby Daichi » Thu 09.08.2005 4:59 am

No, it isn't possible to use Japanese characters in your username, and personally I think it would be a bad idea.

Although most people are here to learn the Japanese language, some may have different reasons. Also, many of those that are learning the language are only beginners. Depending upon people's goals, written Japanese may not be a priority.

Put all the above points together, and you can see that a lot of users will not understand the kana (and certainly not any kanji you may wish to use). If a number of users decided to name themselves in Japanese, it would only cause confusion when others tried to identify/remember them.
Daichi

Postby Christian_ » Sat 09.10.2005 4:22 pm

Daichi and Raevin Thanks for the posts and I guess that would get very confusing about the kana and kanji names. I just have more question can someone PM me instructions on how to get a signature picture I didnt Understand what reavin said. Thanks.:)
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

Return to Problems