Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - *Gulp* Kanji.....

*Gulp* Kanji.....

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

*Gulp* Kanji.....

Postby Sumi » Thu 01.12.2006 11:01 pm

Later on this week, I'm going to start learning Kanji. Honestly, I'm very afraid. Does anyone have any advice on learning Kanji effectively. I'm just afraid that I either won't learn them correctly or i'll forget them.

Thanks!
-Kendra
Sumi

RE: *Gulp* Kanji.....

Postby sgtkwol » Thu 01.12.2006 11:38 pm

Just learn 1, 2, and 3, they are very easy:) but, seriously I have tried learning meanings and readings all at the same time and separately. So far I seem to be learning meanings really quickly, but I have yet to learn all the readings, so I can't tell how that is going to go with readings for 130 Kanji I am finishing up, but I think I will start with basics, only the individual word ex. "hon" for book (once again, at work, no kana or kanji), then learn alternate readings through vocab words. Whatever you do, don't be scared, some are so easy they are laughable (river, mountain, tree) , others are more difficult, but not impossible. Good Luck!!!
sgtkwol

RE: *Gulp* Kanji.....

Postby aradu » Thu 01.12.2006 11:41 pm

I felt the same way when I started learning kanji. It's many different kanji and jukugo you have to learn, but it's certainly not impossible. I was about to quit studying when I found this out.

Personally, I like to use this flashcard software, JFC (http://www.physics.ucla.edu/~grosenth/jfc.html), to practice the meaning of the kanji, the hiragana, and the kanji itself. It makes you practice both reading and writing, and remember to write on a piece of paper when you use JFC.

Also, make sure everytime you see a new kanji and you try to write it, find out the correct stroke order, and it'll be much easier to remember. When you have the stroke order done, you'll pretty much "feel" how to write it. It's hard to describe, but if you write with the correct stroke order, you don't really have to think about every stroke, they're just coming by itself.

Good luck with your studying! :)
aradu

Return to Problems