Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - New Chat

New Chat

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

RE: New Chat

Postby ozgur » Sat 07.01.2006 5:00 am

I want to learn nihongo write and speak but kanji is baffle.
efe
ozgur

Postby Chaosenemy » Fri 07.07.2006 1:48 pm

:o I guess I'm the only one with this problem. When I use Pandion and try to sign in I get the error message:

"Cannot login. This may have one of the following causes:
-You entered an incorrect password.
-The account does not exist on the server.
Please try again."

What's up with that? I'm not forgetting "chat." before thejapanesepage.com, I'm not putting in the wrong username/password (retyped it all a million times), I've reread the tutorials a million times... so I'm not doing anything wrong. For some reason it thinks I'm not registered or something... :@

EDIT: Also I've tried multiple other chat clients and I get the same basic error message. Am I somehow not registered on TJP's chat server or something?
Last edited by Chaosenemy on Fri 07.07.2006 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let there be CHAOS!
Chaosenemy

Postby Infidel » Fri 07.07.2006 9:32 pm

make sure your caps lock is off. Remember to use the same username and password you use here.

other than that, I suggest going back to the instructions and starting over, from the top.
Last edited by Infidel on Fri 07.07.2006 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby zorplex » Mon 07.10.2006 3:23 am

I'm having the same problem as Chaosenemy. : /

I have tried Pandion, JWChat, and Trillian to no avail. I am a new user so it might just take a while for the chat server to recognize my registration. Maybe I'm just impatient. -__
zorplex

Postby Infidel » Mon 07.10.2006 4:45 am

looking at your time stamp, it looks like you were trying to connect during the technical difficulties with the host company. try again :)
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby Infidel » Mon 07.10.2006 4:47 am

NM, it just went back down.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 07.10.2006 4:56 am

yeah, from experience, i'm guessing guessing it's either the interface on the final router, the connection between the router and the switch that hosts the subnet, or the switch itself. and there's an outside chance that it's bad routing information.

i deal with this **** all the time at real-life-job so my prediction is a bit of flakeyness as they narrow down where the trouble is, followed by a bit of full-on-down as they swap whatever part has failed.

ご心配なく

Update
in fact, now i'm getting 'Destination Unreachable' instead of timeouts. this indicates that the interface pointing to towards the server is shutdown. which means that it has either failed completely, or been administratively shutdown (i.e., they noticed the problem). keep your fingers crossed...
Last edited by zengargoyle on Mon 07.10.2006 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
zengargoyle

Postby Donyc » Sat 07.29.2006 6:46 am

Having the same problem as Chaosenemy.

I've tried pandion, psi, jwchat, and none have worked.
Just getting the "authorization failed" all the time.
Donyc

Postby lucas666 » Sat 07.29.2006 7:10 am

I guess all the new users face the same problem. As donyc, chaosenemy, and others have mentioned, I'm also getting the "authorization failed" pop-up each time I attempt to log on. No successful log-in so far. :(
What's the issue here?
lucas666

Postby Sol8 » Sat 07.29.2006 9:05 pm

me neither, can't log in on Pandian -_-, it hates new comers
Sol8

Postby richvh » Sat 07.29.2006 9:11 pm

I believe that, to get rid of a persistent troll, you need at least 10 posts to be able to log into the chat.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Infidel » Sat 07.29.2006 11:34 pm

I believe that, to get rid of a persistent troll, you need at least 10 posts to be able to log into the chat.

This is good, but we should have a very obvious notification on the chat page so newcommers will know it before they start downloading the programs and trying to log in.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby zengargoyle » Sun 07.30.2006 12:25 am

sadly, that sorta defeats the purpose. the idea being that you participate in the forums for a while before going to chat. now that everybody knows, all the trolls have to do is create a new account, spam the forums real quick and presto, back to chat. :(
zengargoyle

Postby paul_b » Sun 07.30.2006 3:38 am

zengargoyle wrote:
sadly, that sorta defeats the purpose. the idea being that you participate in the forums for a while before going to chat. now that everybody knows, all the trolls have to do is create a new account, spam the forums real quick and presto, back to chat. :(

Frankly it's a silly measure in the first place. You're having enough trouble keeping the numbers up and having new members fail to log in and then post about chat not working in the shoutbox is just going to make people think it's not worth trying.
paul_b

Postby zengargoyle » Sun 07.30.2006 4:40 am

paul_b wrote:
Frankly it's a silly measure in the first place. You're having enough trouble keeping the numbers up and having new members fail to log in and then post about chat not working in the shoutbox is just going to make people think it's not worth trying.

i don't care about numbers. i rather care about quality. this chat is for the members of this forum who participate and want to teach or learn. if they just want to chat, or spew profanities, they can go to IRC or any other public chat. i see no reason at all to provide chat to people who don't participate in the forums.

what will probably come to pass is a request-to-chat page where new users express their desire to join the chat and some administrator clicks something to allow them to do so. the same will allow the administrators to ban in an effective way. anyhow, the process of create new account, go directly to chat will go away. because the new account, go to chat is unmanageable unless a chat admin is always going to be monitoring the chatrooms, and willing to keep banning the malcontent each time they go and create a new account.

at the time of the incident the 10 post check was the only thing that came to mind as being effective in keeping the malcontent out for at least a while. (there's actually a grandfather clause in the test, old accounts from before the incident are not bound by the 10 post rule).

if the forums had some sort of level system i would use that instead. and in the comments on the chat instruction page is a notice that you have to participate for a while before being allowed into chat, which just goes to show how much attention people don't pay...

sadly, my free time has been rather scarce recently, there's alot of stuff that i just haven't found the time to fix/implement/document/whatever.

on the plus side, once i find the time to implement the 'allow to chat' functionality, the foundation will be in place for a better "show unread posts" function that actually works as expected.
zengargoyle

PreviousNext

Return to Problems