Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Chat Upgrade

Chat Upgrade

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

Chat Upgrade

Postby zengargoyle » Sat 11.04.2006 2:01 am

sometime Sunday (my time) probably [utc]2006/11/5 16:00[/utc] - [utc]2006/11/5 23:00[/utc] i'll be taking down the chat server for an upgrade.

i'll take down the chat server and make a backup, then install the new server and do some testing... if things don't work right i'll put the old one back. so chat may be unavailable during this time, and even if it is you should not make changes (e.g. to your buddy list) during the downtime.

this will be a new version of the chat server (v1.1.1 -> v1.1.2), upgrades to my other chat servers have gone smoothly.

the new chat server will have a local JWChat web-chat install, and the chat logs will probably change location. otherwise there shouldn't be much of a difference.

in the future, as soon as a Jabber/XMPP Flash Client becomes available the new server will be ready to support it. but if all goes well then there will be a JWChat AJAX/web chat available, so no whining about downloading a client please.
zengargoyle

RE: Chat Upgrade

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 11.06.2006 1:35 am

well, aside from a simple fix that i had forgotten about the upgrade went pretty smoothly.

we're now running ejabberd-1.1.2

there's a local install of the JWChat web-chat available, http://chat.thejapanesepage.com:5224/jwchat.

and the logs have moved: http://chat.thejapanesepage.com:5224/logs.
i'll update the links in the JLPT4 thread and on the wiki tomorrow unless somebody beats me to it.

(may want to test the server for a few days to make sure it stays working :) )
zengargoyle

Postby zengargoyle » Tue 11.07.2006 8:53 pm

i've added links for Join Chat and Who's Chatting Now? to the Navigation Panel on the left of the page.
zengargoyle

Postby zengargoyle » Tue 11.07.2006 9:39 pm

can you be more specific? i see log lines where it accepted your authentication. when you login do you get a little popup window with a 'plus' and a 'group of people' icons at the bottom? you may need to enable popup windows. do you get a window with 'Authentication Failure'? i suspect it's working just fine for you. in the window that should popup, you want to click on the 'group of people' icon at the bottom to join a chatroom.

you may want to read this: http://www.thejapanesepage.com/jabberchat/jwchat/jwchat.html... these are the old instructions for using jwchat.org chat. it's mostly the same, you just don't have to type in a Server name.

otherwise, it's the same chat whether you use the web client, or something like Pandion or Gaim or Adium or IChat or any other Jabber client.
zengargoyle

Postby tanuki » Tue 11.07.2006 10:02 pm

Are you talking to yourself?

I have a question: In the "Who's chatting now" page, where are the people who are logged in but not in any room shown?
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby zengargoyle » Tue 11.07.2006 10:32 pm

tanuki wrote:

no, it seems the post i was replying to has been deleted...

I have a question: In the "Who's chatting now" page, where are the people who are logged in but not in any room shown?

they don't. really that list should have never existed but it was the first thing i could come up with easily. while the chatrooms are 'public' like info, a persons online status is really a private thing. it's best handled by subscription to Roster (Buddy) Lists so each user can decide who gets to see if they're online or not.

there is a module for the server in the works that will do the same sort of 'online status icon' thing like we have for Skype. each user will be able to configure whether or not their status is 'public' and will be able to include a link in signatures or such that will show their current status. once that module is stable (last time i tried it still has a couple of problems) i'll probably come up with a 'page of online users' with the status information. but it will be up to each user to decide whether they want the world to know if they're online... :)
zengargoyle

Postby kanadajin » Tue 11.07.2006 10:55 pm

Suuure zen... Suuuure... **Looks at tanuki** *He's crazy :o *
kanadajin

Postby ashitaka » Tue 11.07.2006 10:58 pm

Why would someone delete posts?

Suuure zen... Suuuure... **Looks at tanuki** *He's crazy *

Arn't we all?
ashitaka

Postby zengargoyle » Tue 11.07.2006 11:25 pm

if you're really stuck, here's a Flash video of how things should look....

sorry, it's sorta small resolution, and still it's ~2.8MB big...

Web Chat Example Movie

i'll try to make a bigger and more professional version while keeping the file size down... :)
zengargoyle

Postby richvh » Tue 11.07.2006 11:26 pm

They're all daft save me and thee, and sometimes I'm not too sure about thee.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby chikara » Tue 11.07.2006 11:27 pm

zengargoyle wrote:
tanuki wrote:

Sorry zengargoyle. I did some more searching through the Wiki and found the answer to my question so I deleted the post as no one had replied at that stage.

I gave up on trying to connect.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby zengargoyle » Tue 11.07.2006 11:47 pm

chikara wrote:

Sorry zengargoyle. I did some more searching through the Wiki and found the answer to my question so I deleted the post as no one had replied at that stage.

I gave up on trying to connect.

look at the movie i posted a couple posts up. if you can get to the login page, you should be able to chat... i can't think of any way that you can get the login page and not be able to login and chat....
zengargoyle

Postby chikara » Tue 11.07.2006 11:54 pm

zengargoyle wrote:
look at the movie i posted a couple posts up. if you can get to the login page, you should be able to chat... i can't think of any way that you can get the login page and not be able to login and chat....

Thanks. I got it working. I was clicking on the plus icon (Add Contact) not the group icon, doh!
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby redfoxer » Fri 12.29.2006 10:58 am

zen, you are a genius! the ability to use the chat without a client (the jwchat java thing...i think) is a great inclusion. lol sorry if im a little late with everything. i've just been a little pre-occupied with work.
日本語はとても面白いと思いますよ!私は日本語が大好きです!
redfoxer

Postby katafei » Fri 06.22.2007 6:19 am

I'm having trouble downloading pandion and I can't find the logs of any chats either???
The link to the chat movie doesn't work on my pc either.
Help...
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Next

Return to Problems