Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Can't log in at front page

Can't log in at front page

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

Can't log in at front page

Postby Steve_Poppers » Sun 04.15.2007 6:17 pm

For some reason I've been unable to log in on the front page, or most pages on this site for that matter. The only page that I can log in at (as far as I know) is the page where you view my profile. I sent some e-mails to Clay, and he said that Zen may know what the problem is.
Steve_Poppers

RE: Can't log in at front page

Postby clay » Sun 04.15.2007 7:31 pm

Can you tell us what happens when you try to log in from the front page?

Also do you stay logged in once you are able to log in?
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby zengargoyle » Sun 04.15.2007 7:52 pm

i'm at a loss, i can't even think of a way that login could work one place and not another... there's only one piece of code that handles login, no matter which page you fill out the form on.

i suspect either a browser problem, or an ISP problem.

maybe your browser is not accepting the login cookie from anywhere other than the profile page. (odd)

maybe your ISP has a misconfigured web proxy and is either stripping the cookie, or returning a cached version of the page (that doesn't have the cookie). (still odd)

try clearing your cookies for http://www.thejapanesepage.com, and maybe try and clear your browser cache.

or check with another browser.

there's just nothing on the TJP side that would cause this to happen. (at least nothing that i can think of.)
zengargoyle

Postby Steve_Poppers » Sun 04.15.2007 10:10 pm

Well, after I hit the login button (on the main page), it takes me to that transfer screen, and just says it's transferring me. If I get the username or password wrong, it tells me so.
If I use the other page, however, I'm able to stay logged in and use the site to every extent I normally would.

I guess I'll try clearing my cookies, but I suggest you guys try logging into my account. The password is still what Clay set it to.

Edit: I completely cleared all the stuff under browsing history. It still doesn't work.
Last edited by Steve_Poppers on Sun 04.15.2007 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve_Poppers

Postby Steve_Poppers » Sun 04.15.2007 10:31 pm

er... zengargoyle here. i just changed your password to something i know, and successfully logged in from the main page. everything looked normal to me. i'll change your password back to what it was before.
Steve_Poppers

Postby Steve_Poppers » Sun 04.15.2007 10:33 pm

Okay. I think I figured out what happened. I recently changed my antivirus software, and it was blocking your cookie. Yours would be a third party cookie, right? I fixed it and got in through the front page. Thanks for the suggestion. I hate being such a bother, but thank you both.
Steve_Poppers

Postby clay » Sun 04.15.2007 11:26 pm

Good! Glad it was a simple as that.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Steve_Poppers » Tue 04.17.2007 11:12 pm

Okay, I switched to Firefox so I could use Rikaichan (which works like a GOD by the way), and I'm having the same problem. I have the "Accept cookies from sites" box checked, and even added you to the exception list, but it still did it. I'll click around, but please help if you can.
Steve_Poppers

Return to Problems