Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Disappearing posts

Disappearing posts

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

Disappearing posts

Postby shiohigari » Fri 07.20.2007 8:08 pm

I've replied to a few threads lately, and some of them I spent a long time writing lengthy replies, (AAARRRRGH!!) and they have simply disappeared. They haven't come up at all. Why would this be? Has anyone else experienced this? It's rather disappointing to have spent a long time explaining "beautifully" some grammar point to have it just vanish into cyberspace never to be seen again. It seems like I wasted my precious time trying to help someone.
shiohigari

RE: Disappearing posts

Postby Gundaetiapo » Fri 07.20.2007 8:13 pm

If you took too long the system logs you out but let's you post your reply... to the aether.
Gundaetiapo

Native language: English

Postby shiohigari » Fri 07.20.2007 8:16 pm

Really?!I didn't know that!
shiohigari

Postby SenescenceReign » Fri 07.20.2007 9:34 pm

Yeah, but it's been very kind to me as far as hitting the back button and bringing up everything I'd said thus far. From there you can copy and paste it once you've signed back in...

I posted something like this when I was new to the site too. Made me feel stupid at the time- just so you know others have done it!
/relurk
SenescenceReign

Postby shiohigari » Fri 07.20.2007 10:28 pm

Yeah, made me feel a bit 馬鹿!I'm glad I'm not the only one to have this happen to.
shiohigari

Postby zengargoyle » Fri 07.20.2007 11:14 pm

make sure when you login that you check the little checkbox on the login form. normally a login is good for some shortish amount of time, but if you check the checkbox then the login is good for a much longer amount of time (like 30 days or so...). oddly enough, the last time i logged in i noticed that the label 'Remember Me' was missing from the checkbox... i haven't had the time to look more deeply into the matter.

anyway... if you don't check the checkbox, then the login is for a short time (like when you want to login from the library, or a public terminal, and want your cookie to expire *really* fast), if you do check the checkbox, then the login is for a long time (like for your home PC where you would like to come back a week later and still be logged in...). i forget the exact timeouts for unchecked vs. checked.

otherwise, it's a browser issue... some will keep track of what you typed and if you go 'back' then what you typed will still be there... open a new tab, login again, go back to the saved text and re-submit... all will be well. if your browser doesn't do this, get a new one. :)
zengargoyle

Postby katafei » Sat 07.21.2007 6:23 am

It can also be a good idea to type your post in Word first and then copy and paste into the forum. Esp. when it's a lengthy one. Then you'll always have the original if the system fails on you.
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Return to Problems