Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - The friends site -- friend or foe?

The friends site -- friend or foe?

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

The friends site -- friend or foe?

Postby MenomaMinx » Fri 07.15.2005 1:43 am

So I registered today. No ulterior motive -- other than the picture I clicked on was cute and I'm shallow sometimes ;-)

Aside from the annoying character limit on how long your question answers can be, and the ridiculous nature of some of the questions, the signup wasn't so bad. What was bad was as soon as I signed up, they hit me up for a credit card. It turns out in order to use the site properly and contact anyone you see, you have to pay for membership. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't pay to join any club that would have me as a member ;-)

so just when I thought the worst was over,I decided to look at other people's profiles. Where do they find these people!? {Besides here, I mean}

The first guy I clicked was looking to cheat on his wife, and was quite open about it. The next one was a doctor who only wanted rich women to reply. And then there was a self-described long-haired man who was nearly bald! Scary thing is, that last one was almost cute ;-)

So, scarred for life from the men, I moved on to the women. Turned out there're no different, only a lot more polite about it ;-)

So given the above, I'm curious. As anyone actually had any success contacting everyday non scary people through the site?
Click below daily or a bunch of starving people will come to your house to eat you!(Either way, problem solved :-)
http://www.quickdonations.com/ http://www.donationjunction.com
MenomaMinx

RE: The friends site -- friend or foe?

Postby ShinDig » Fri 07.15.2005 9:46 am

lol..a long haired-bald man!?? haha..queer people lol :D
ShinDig

Postby Spaztick » Fri 07.15.2005 10:48 am

If that's the case, then just click on the links once a day and rank in some cash for Clay. :) I could give you links for penpals and stuff, but don't expect involvement.
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby clay » Fri 07.15.2005 11:10 am

Sorry to hear about the bad experiences. I signed a contract to keep it up for a year. I could cancel the contract, but it would be best if I didn't. I have heard good and bad things about it. It certainly has helped cover expenses. Just as well as the Google ads. But I don't want to keep it just for that - if it isn't good quality.

Anybody have anything good to say about the Friends section?

BTW Shindig, I got your PM, but can't reply (your mail box is full :) ) But I just wanted to say thank you for being willing to help.
clay
Site Admin

Postby MenomaMinx » Fri 07.15.2005 11:48 am

It gets better......

It turns out they let you see who's been looking at your profile.

Mr. Dr. who wants a rich woman read my profile -- and rejected me! LMAO!

Now that particular married person I saw didn't show up, but a couple of his close his buddies did -- one who is happily married -- not for long ;-)

No sign of the long-haired bald man yet, but give him time......

I don't think it's worth canceling the contract over, as I'm having a lot of fun with this -- even if it is for all the wrong reasons ;-)

In fact, some of these are so funny, it's actually a motivation for people to join just to see them. Talk about your great selling points :-)

I suppose if I was really looking for some kind of serious relationship from the site, I would be really upset though. The only relatively speaking non scary person I saw yesterday even smiled at me {the site's version of telling you someone's interested in your} -- a 54-year-old English teacher -- which explains why he was able to write something interesting.. The downside is that he doesn't speak a word of Japanese despite living there long-term. Not exactly sure how that happens, but it does make me kind of suspicious.

Hey Spaztick,

If you can give me those penpal sites, that would be great :-)
Last edited by MenomaMinx on Fri 07.15.2005 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Click below daily or a bunch of starving people will come to your house to eat you!(Either way, problem solved :-)
http://www.quickdonations.com/ http://www.donationjunction.com
MenomaMinx

Postby redfoxer » Fri 07.15.2005 5:36 pm

hehe....shindig's inbox is full??? no way!! get outta here :p :D
日本語はとても面白いと思いますよ!私は日本語が大好きです!
redfoxer

Postby jinksys » Fri 07.15.2005 6:12 pm

I signed up with the friends site way back when I first joined the site, but didn't find anyone who wanted to be a penpal. I finally just went to Yahoo Japan's member search and found me a penpal that way.
Hello? Internets?
jinksys

Return to Problems