Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Ok wow...

Ok wow...

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Re: Ok wow...

Postby chikara » Mon 05.12.2008 11:02 pm

AJBryant wrote:.... The wingman, trying to help his friend, says, "What a coincidence! My friend here is from Australia, and is an expert on koalas!" -- so she asks him to tell her what his favorite aspect of the koala is.

He stammers, (think "deer in the headlights"), as he knows squat about koalas, and says slowly, "Their.... meat.... is delicious." ....

mmmmm, never tried koala. Don't see it on the menu in restaurants being a protected species.

Wakannai wrote:..... Crocodile, yea, tasted like chicken.

To me it taste like a cross between a fleshy (ocean) fish and chicken.

Emu and camel taste nothing like chicken.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Wakannai » Mon 05.12.2008 11:46 pm

chikara wrote:
Wakannai wrote:..... Crocodile, yea, tasted like chicken.

To me it taste like a cross between a fleshy (ocean) fish and chicken.

Well, the crocodile was heavily spiced. I what I remember the most was the texture and spiciness. Sigh, I love spicy food.
Wakannai

Postby AJBryant » Tue 05.13.2008 12:13 am

chikara wrote:mmmmm, never tried koala. Don't see it on the menu in restaurants being a protected species.

Maybe someone needs to be more creative, and package it as "dropbear."

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby chikara » Tue 05.13.2008 12:57 am

AJBryant wrote:Maybe someone needs to be more creative, and package it as "dropbear."

LOL, you may be on to something Tony-san :)

We have a problem here where the koala population has got out of hand. Calls for a cull have not been popular (for example). If we reclassified the species as "dropbears" it wouldn't be a problem.

Recently there were plans to cull 500 kangaroos (yum, yum) from Defense Department land and apparently the Japanese were outraged and accused Australia of been hypocritical because of our support for a ban on whaling.

"Japan in particular, the media there goes absolutely berko every time this issue is raised and we rely a lot on the international market for our tourists, so this issue has to be resolved in a sensitive way and that's what the Government is trying to
do," (State) Environment Minister John Hill
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby Hardi_E » Tue 05.13.2008 9:56 am

ひとたち は へんな たべもの を たべる。
わたし の ともだち は さくらにく を たべる の が すき です。  :?
Hardi_E

Native language: エストニアご

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 05.13.2008 11:19 am

saying crocodile, snake and frog taste like chicken tells me that your pallate really doesn't discern the difference in the flavors and textures of meat. snake, does not taste anything like chicken. in fact saying any of those taste like chicken is like saying venison tastes like beef. it doesn't. not even close. the gaminess of those meats is completely different than chicken.

crocodile has more fat than chicken and has a slightly wild flavor that when cooked properly is a unique flavor that leaves a slight bitter taste in ones mouth. snake is less fatty and very tough to each unless the meat is simmered over a long time. I find that snake is best turned into jerky even though the low fat content would make you think it would lack flavor. and frog meat, well, there is so little of it, that it hardly crosses the tongue but I find it more acidic than most other meats. it's also less fatty and very tough unless cooled properly.

try eating different types of meats at the same time (cleansing the pallate with ginger or something vinegary) to see the difference. horse, buffalo, bear, elk, deer, chicken, emu, ostrich, beef, frog, snake, shark, eel, rat, squirrel, etc, they all have very unique and distinct flavors. Shoot if you find yourself able to, take a survival course and learn to survive onthe local species in your areas. It will open your eyes.
two_heads_talking

Postby Wakannai » Wed 05.14.2008 12:12 am

two_heads_talking wrote:saying crocodile, snake and frog taste like chicken tells me that your pallate really doesn't discern the difference in the flavors and textures of meat. snake, does not taste anything like chicken. in fact saying any of those taste like chicken is like saying venison tastes like beef. it doesn't. not even close. the gaminess of those meats is completely different than chicken.

You're partially right. The whole "Taste's like chicken." Joke is for people trying out stuff for the first time or two. So there is no discerning palate for those particular meats. It's not a lack of ability to discern meats though. I can tell Lamb, beef, and chicken apart just fine. Personally, I don't know what "gamy" tastes like. People complain that Dog tastes gamy but I haven't had the opportunity to try. My dad killed two deer when I was a kid, but we didn't have venison steaks where I might have had the opportunity to understand. He turned every scrap of meat from those two deer into chili. We had deer chili every day for weeks until I hated the stuff. I do know that Venison chili tastes like beef chili. I dunno if that is due to the overload of spices or what not though. I think I'd

try eating different types of meats at the same time (cleansing the pallate with ginger or something vinegary) to see the difference. horse, buffalo, bear, elk, deer, chicken, emu, ostrich, beef, frog, snake, shark, eel, rat, squirrel, etc,

That's pretty much the only way to develop a discerning palate in anything.
Wakannai

Postby chikara » Wed 05.14.2008 1:20 am

Wakannai wrote:..... Personally, I don't know what "gamy" tastes like. People complain that Dog tastes gamy but I haven't had the opportunity to try. .....

"Gamy" would probably taste the same as rotten meat. "Gamey" on the other hand ...... :lol:

Monty Python's Lifeboat sketch;
Captain: Listen...chaps...there's still a chance. I'm...done for, I've...got a gamy leg and I'm going fast; I'll never get through. But...some of you might. So...you'd better eat me.
Sailor: Eat you, sir?
Captain: Yes. Eat me.
Sailor: Iiuuhh! With a gamy leg?

:mrgreen:
chikara

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 05.14.2008 9:52 am

Wakannai wrote: My dad killed two deer when I was a kid, but we didn't have venison steaks where I might have had the opportunity to understand. He turned every scrap of meat from those two deer into chili. We had deer chili every day for weeks until I hated the stuff. I do know that Venison chili tastes like beef chili. I dunno if that is due to the overload of spices or what not though. .

One of the things you find in chili is that the spices are the main affair and the meat takes a back seat. By gamey, I would say there is a stronger more bold flavor to venison than to beef, which is a bit more mild. This is largely due to what the wild life feed on and how they roam around vs how beef cattle are fed and treated. I have also found that wild life has a larger degree of sinewy tissue etc in the meat due to their twitch fibers being more developed as every day is a life or death struggle for them, where beef cattle are pampered or at least taken care of where they don't have to worry about defending themselves and having to run for their lives.

My family lived off venison for about 8 years, due to the fact that my father brought in a full 800 dollars a month to feed, clothe and pay bills for 7 children, his wife and himself. Without the venison and other misc meat we were able to get through hunting, we would never have had meat. We also had a vegetable garden that took up 70% of our 1/2 acre back yard. again, without that, we would have had little in the way of vegetables. Heck we used to hit the farms after they would cultivate the crops and get "cull" potatoes or other vegetables to augment what we had. From this, I learned a serious appreciation for the unique flavors of pretty much anything. I also learned something that stayed with me even until now. Try it once before you decide you don't like it. If you find you don't like it, then you can make an effort to avoid it in the future.

anyways, I understand the "chicken" thing, I guess I didn't realize we were kidding about taste. chicken and beef, there are no other tastes right? lol
two_heads_talking

Previous

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)