Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Study Partner/ Pen pal?

Study Partner/ Pen pal?

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Study Partner/ Pen pal?

Postby Sotiros » Thu 07.31.2008 5:33 am

Hi, I just joined this forum, finally. I was on here a year ago and tried to learn, but I didn't have anyone to practice with, so I gave up within a month. I was wondering if anyone would like to be a study partner or pen pal with me. I don't know much Japanese, but I want to learn everything I can because I want to visit

ありがとう ございます
~Sotiros
BANZAI!
Sotiros

Re: Study Partner/ Pen pal?

Postby clay » Thu 07.31.2008 6:13 am

This is actually a great idea. I would like to make the forum more available for people to match up for studying. I'm not sure how to do this best, though.

It may be a good idea to post detailed information about where you are with your Japanese skills and what your goals are (pass JLPT 4 this year, build conversational skills for an upcoming Japan trip, read a certain short story...). Then people can PM people they are best suited for.

We have the groups section that should be good for this, but I haven't played with it enough to see how it all can work together. We are working hard at upgrading the site and while we are working on it, I'll give the groups/forums penpal/study partner idea some thought.

In the meantime, you may want to post more detailed information about your level and goals and ask people to PM you (probably shouldn't post your email since spam bots could pick it up).
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Sotiros » Thu 07.31.2008 6:43 am

ありがとう クレイ-さん!
I guess I'll give some detailed information then!

My goals are to build conversational skills, as I am planning on going to Japan next summer for a Language Study Program. I want to learn as much as I possibly can within the next year, and I will continue on even after that. Since I am new here, I don't understand what the JLPT 4 is, so if anyone can explain this to me, that would be great. I want to be able to communicate easily and fluently with the Japanese. Because I stopped working on learning Japanese last year, I only got so far. After reviewing, I realized that I am at a very early stage and need a lot of improvement. I do know hiragana, katakana and I think I can use numbers fairly well. I have also memorized the question words and most particles. I think I am confident enough to separate the verbs into their three groups. I also know some name titles and a few pronouns. If anyone would like to help me practice and study these more in-depth and help widen my vocabulary, all would be appreciated! I hope this is enough information of what little I know so far. Thank you, and please consider helping me, this would be great!

As for you, Clay, I think maybe I might have an idea of how you can make this more pen pal/study partner user-friendly as you stated in your reply. You could make a separate main topic (Study Partners), and that could have two different groupings; Those who want to study Japanese and Those who want to study English. People who post in the "Study Japanese" group could post what they need help with and others can check and answer any questions and vice versa. You could also do it with pen pals, People who are searching for a Japanese speaking pen pal, and those who are searching for an English speaking pen pal. These are just a couple of ideas I came up with while I read your reply. Maybe you will like them, maybe you won't! Thanks again for replying and giving me that advice!

ありがとう ございます
~Sotiros
BANZAI!
Sotiros

Postby clay » Thu 07.31.2008 7:50 am

Those who want to study Japanese and Those who want to study English.

The problem is far more people here want to study Japanese. Of course students of Japanese can group together even without a native speaker or an advanced student to help. I'm playing with setting up groups on the new updated site now.

But I think making a forum specifically for 'Study Partner Requests' or something like that would be very good. I'll try to do that tomorrow (getting ready to hit the sack).

I don't understand what the JLPT 4 is,

Sorry! JLPT is Japanese Language Proficiency Test which is held once a year and is kind of the test to measure Japanese ability.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby richvh » Thu 07.31.2008 8:22 am

And the JLPT has 4 different levels of test, with Level 4 being the easiest and Level 1 being the hardest (though that's changing; they're adding a new level between what are now levels 2 and 3, so level 5 will be the easiest, if I understand correctly.)
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Sotiros » Thu 07.31.2008 1:43 pm

Thanks a lot for the info about the JLPT! Well then, I guess another one of my goals is to know all the needed information for the JLPT 4 by the end of the year.

If anyone wants to be my pen pal or study partner or tutor or whatever, PM me on here!

どうも ありがとう
~Sotiros
BANZAI!
Sotiros

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)