Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Does this sound ok?

Does this sound ok?

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Does this sound ok?

Postby kudamono-chan » Mon 03.16.2009 2:18 am

My Japanese teacher is having us translate a children's story. My group is doing かぐや姫. First we wrote in English, then translated it "at our level"--which is basically that of a toddler. This is what I have for parts three and four.

毎日、おじいさんはお金の竹を見つけましたからかぐや姫に全部を上げました。おばあさんはとても嬉しかったです。おばあさんは、「今、かぐや姫はとても大きいですね。」と言いました。おじいさんは、「ああ、そうですね。それに、かぐや姫は可愛いですね。」と言いました。
三ヶ月からかぐや姫はおじいさんとおばあさんと一緒にいました。かぐや姫は背が高かったです。そして、かぐや姫はとても美しかったです。おじいさんは、「誰を結婚しますか。」と言いました。かぐや姫は、「いいえ。ぜんぜん結婚しません。」と言いました。

Does this at least make a little sense?
Thanks!
kudamono-chan

Re: Does this sound ok?

Postby richvh » Mon 03.16.2009 6:49 am

I have no idea what you were trying to say in the first sentence. Grammatically it's okay, but I don't think it means what you want it to mean.

In the second paragraph, 誰を結婚しますか should be 誰と結婚しますか.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Re: Does this sound ok?

Postby becki_kanou » Mon 03.16.2009 8:05 am

kudamono-chan wrote:My Japanese teacher is having us translate a children's story. My group is doing かぐや姫. First we wrote in English, then translated it "at our level"--which is basically that of a toddler. This is what I have for parts three and four.

毎日、おじいさんはお金の竹を見つけましたからかぐや姫に全部を上げました。おばあさんはとても嬉しかったです。おばあさんは、「今、かぐや姫はとても大きいですね。」と言いました。おじいさんは、「ああ、そうですね。それに、かぐや姫は可愛いですね。」と言いました。
三ヶ月からかぐや姫はおじいさんとおばあさんと一緒にいました。かぐや姫は背が高かったです。そして、かぐや姫はとても美しかったです。おじいさんは、「誰を結婚しますか。」と言いました。かぐや姫は、「いいえ。ぜんぜん結婚しません。」と言いました。

Does this at least make a little sense?
Thanks!

Most of it is OK, if a bit stilted by lack of grammar and vocab. As rich said the first sentence doesn't make a lot of sense. It says in English "Every day because the old man found the money-bamboo he gave it all to Princess Kaguya." What did you intend to say here?

Also, 三ヶ月から is incorrect. It should be just 三ヶ月. I'd also move it a little later in the sentence. かぐや姫は三ヶ月おじいさんとおばあさんと一緒にいました。

Finally, since getting married is something you can either do or not do, (i.e. you can't do it in degrees) it sounds odd to use ぜんぜん here. Simply saying: 「私は結婚しません。」 sounds better.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)