Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How's my accent?

How's my accent?

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

How's my accent?

Postby Disco » Sat 06.27.2009 12:24 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXHJIFlwG0M

This is a reading of the biography on Yoko Ono. The article is from the Genki II textbook. I apologise for the quality.
我輩はただの英国紳士でございます
Disco

Native language: English

Re: How's my accent?

Postby Harisenbon » Sat 06.27.2009 5:49 am

I didn't listen to the whole thing, but it seemed fairly good.
A little slow, and the standard american-japanese accent, but overall rather good. :D
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 06.27.2009 8:18 am

Sounded fairly good from what I listened to. One consistent problem seemed to be long vs. short vowels; you said her name as オーノ rather than オノ, and sometimes ヨコ instead of ヨーコ. ような sounded like よな.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Disco » Sat 06.27.2009 3:36 pm

Thank you for your reviews. It was slow because I had to look up some words on the previous page that i kept forgetting. I don't know what the "standard american-japanese accent" entails (R's and L's thing?) , but I'm just happy to receive some feedback.
我輩はただの英国紳士でございます
Disco

Postby Harisenbon » Sat 06.27.2009 7:34 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:Sounded fairly good from what I listened to. One consistent problem seemed to be long vs. short vowels; you said her name as オーノ rather than オノ, and sometimes ヨコ instead of ヨーコ. ような sounded like よな.

Yeah, that kind of stuck out at me as well...

I don't know what the "standard american-japanese accent" entails (R's and L's thing?)

It's not that you're screwing anything up (that I noticed) just that your accent is how americans usually speak Japanese. In other words, you have a foreign accent. Just like most germans, no matter how good at english will retain a german accent, your american accent is retained in your japanese. It's just one of those things you have to get used to, probably.

If I get a chance, I'll go through it with a memo pad and write my opinions through the whole thing.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Disco » Sun 06.28.2009 3:22 am

Thank You- I'll work on it ( as much as I can). Problem is, being self- taught, I have no native Japanese speakers around to help me in that category. I just want to sound as natural as possible, without having a heavy accent or anything.
我輩はただの英国紳士でございます
Disco

Postby Disco » Sun 06.28.2009 4:16 am

I made another; it's on my chapter, and I knew all the words actually. It's subbed as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jCZQ4Hx1-c
thanks for taking the time to listen
我輩はただの英国紳士でございます
Disco

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 06.28.2009 8:35 am

Pretty good overall -- I think the "american sounding" thing that harisenbon mentioned might also be unnatural pitch accent.

"whispered mora" (as they're called) are something of a problem; 好き should be pronounced closer to English "ski" (also すきやき = skiyaki)

日本 should be pronounced にほん in general. にっぽん is a very formal pronunciation that is mostly used on the news or in formal speeches.

見た sounded like みった.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Disco » Sun 06.28.2009 4:12 pm

Thanks Yudan for your input. I'll work on it a little more. I did a lot of things in that video like " sup..( look ahead)...pon. Because like in Spanish, fast is natural sounding.
我輩はただの英国紳士でございます
Disco

Postby clay » Mon 06.29.2009 8:29 am

This is a great idea Disco--er...xXfainarufantajiXx :)

I hope others do the same thing. I'm sure taking chances and opening yourself up for (constructive) criticism is the way to make progress.

Ganbarimashou!
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Disco » Mon 06.29.2009 11:30 pm

ありがとうございます ;3
がんばるつもりでっす
我輩はただの英国紳士でございます
Disco

Postby Mür » Tue 06.30.2009 1:27 pm

I can say that in Spanish, because I am. I'ts not very difficult, it's only long words. In Catalan there are some others much more difficult than this one ^^

"El cielo está encapotado. ¿Quién lo desencapotará? El desencapotador que lo desencapote, buen desencapotador será."

Funny one :D
Mür

Native language: Catalan, Spanish

Postby Disco » Tue 06.30.2009 10:08 pm

Mür wrote:I can say that in Spanish, because I am. I'ts not very difficult, it's only long words. In Catalan there are some others much more difficult than this one ^^

"El cielo está encapotado. ¿Quién lo desencapotará? El desencapotador que lo desencapote, buen desencapotador será."

Funny one :D

Aye Dios Mios... now I have to change it :o
我輩はただの英国紳士でございます
Disco

Postby Mür » Wed 07.01.2009 3:35 am

Don't bother changing it, for an English speaker it may be difficult.
By the way, I listened to your 1st record (only a bit at the beginning) and I think you have a pretty good accent for an American. There are some vowels and the N where I can appreciate your American influence a bit more, but the rest is very good.
In class this year there was an exchange Ishish boy who had a strong Ensligh accent in his speech, I hardly didn't understand him speaking in Japanese and our teacher, who is Japanese, couldn't, as well. So, you have really done a good job in your accent. Congratulations.
In Catalonia, as we have nearly the same marked vowels as in japanese it's very easy for us to pronounce in a very good accent. We have exactly the same way of skeaping as Japanese, except their "U" sounds, which are much more softer, and "FU" in which the F is softer as well. The rest are the same. So, easy for us ^^, but we have more difficulty in Enslish, for example. The Spanish speaking people that were in class (though they were born in Catalonia they use Spanish as their mother tongue) in their speaking tend to have more problems. For example, although Spanish has the sounds "YA, YU, YO", and should be pronounced as in Japanese, they tend to pronounce them as the Japanese "JA, JU, JO", so when they speak Japanese tend to do the same. They also have more difficulties pronouncin words that start with consonant such as "Spain", in which they tend to say "Espain", and which also happens when they speak in Japanese.
Mür

Native language: Catalan, Spanish

Postby sei » Thu 07.02.2009 3:55 pm

Mür wrote:Don't bother changing it, for an English speaker it may be difficult.

True. I'm Portuguese and I find that very easy to say though. =P There are some very hard ones in Portuguese, I always find those things extremely amusing. ^.^

And by the way Disco, I congratulate you on this idea! It's awesome way of practicing and getting your errors corrected! :)
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
sei

Native language: Portuguese

Next

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)