Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese sentences in the Informal Present Tense

Japanese sentences in the Informal Present Tense

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Japanese sentences in the Informal Present Tense

Postby Mr.Paper » Tue 08.04.2009 10:02 pm

Hello! These Japanese sentences are all in the informal, present tense. They are translated in English and Spanish. Tell me how good my sentence forming is, thats one of the things I would like to know. Well, here they are. And the reason I use the romaji is because I can't type in characters.

kyou wa getsuyoubi dearu.

ashita wa kayoubi dearu.

souda o nomu.

mizu o nomu.

juusu o nomu.

nihongo o benkyou suru.

nihongo o konomu e benkyou suru.

kyou wa kayoubi dearu.

san no kotoba o hanasu.

kare wa furansugo o hanasu.

kanojo wa eigo o hanasu.

karera wa nihongo o hanasu.


Hoy es lunes.

Manana es martes.

Yo tomo/bebo soda.

Yo tomo/bebo agua.

Yo tomo/bebo jugo.

Yo estudio el idioma japones.

Me gusta estudiar el idioma japones.

Hoy es martes.

Yo hablo tres idiomas.

El habla frances.

Ella habla ingles.

Ellos hablan japones.

Today is Monday.

Tomorrow is Tuesday.

I drink soda.

I drink water.

I drink juice.

I study the Japanese language.

I like to study the Japanese language.

Today is Tuesday.

I speak three languages.

He speaks French.

She speaks English.

They speak Japanese.
Mr.Paper
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed 07.29.2009 9:46 pm
Location: Illinois
Native language: Spanish
Gender: Male

Re: Japanese sentences in the Informal Present Tense

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 08.04.2009 10:23 pm

Good work! Only two points.

1) である is more often used in a formal written style, だ would be more natural here.
今日は月曜日だ。(きょう は げつようび だ)

2) To say that you like something use 好き(すき)
りんごが好きだ。(りんご が すき だ) I like apples.
猫が好きだ。(ねこ が すき だ) I like cats

I gets a little more difficult when you want to say that you like to do some action. In that case you need to make the verb a noun/gerund by adding の or こと to the end.
りんごを食べるのが好きだ。 (りんご を たべる の が すき だ) I like to eat apples.
猫と遊ぶのが好き。(ねこ と あそぶ の が すき だ) I like to play with [my] cat.

So for your example:
日本語を勉強するのが好きだ。(にほんご を べんきょうする の が すき だ) I like to study Japanese.
Hope this helps.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
User avatar
becki_kanou
 
Posts: 3402
Joined: Sat 04.19.2008 10:09 pm
Location: Hyogo, Japan
Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語
Gender: Female

Re: Japanese sentences in the Informal Present Tense

Postby Mr.Paper » Tue 08.04.2009 10:37 pm

becki_kanou wrote:Good work! Only two points.

1) である is more often used in a formal written style, だ would be more natural here.
今日は月曜日だ。(きょう は げつようび だ)

2) To say that you like something use 好き(すき)
りんごが好きだ。(りんご が すき だ) I like apples.
猫が好きだ。(ねこ が すき だ) I like cats

I gets a little more difficult when you want to say that you like to do some action. In that case you need to make the verb a noun/gerund by adding の or こと to the end.
りんごを食べるのが好きだ。 (りんご を たべる の が すき だ) I like to eat apples.
猫と遊ぶのが好き。(ねこ と あそぶ の が すき だ) I like to play with [my] cat.

So for your example:
日本語を勉強するのが好きだ。(にほんご を べんきょうする の が すき だ) I like to study Japanese.
Hope this helps.

Thank you for your feedback, this helps me in my studies! I have a question though, why do you put in the examples, ka after no and ta at the end of the sentence?
Mr.Paper
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed 07.29.2009 9:46 pm
Location: Illinois
Native language: Spanish
Gender: Male

Re: Japanese sentences in the Informal Present Tense

Postby Sairana » Tue 08.04.2009 11:33 pm

Mr.Paper wrote:why do you put in the examples, ka after no and ta at the end of the sentence?


It's ga (が) and da (だ); compare with ka か and ta た

Which textbook are you using? だ (da) is the plain copula. である isn't really informal/plain speech, as becki said:

becki_kanou wrote:1) である is more often used in a formal written style, だ would be more natural here.
今日は月曜日だ。(きょう は げつようび だ)
Sairana
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Wed 02.27.2008 11:54 pm
Native language: (US) English
Gender: Female

Re: Japanese sentences in the Informal Present Tense

Postby NocturnalOcean » Wed 08.05.2009 8:26 am

Also "san no kotoba o hanasu." is incorrect.

You use a counter for counting languages.

三ヶ国語(を)話す sankakokugo (wo) hanasu I speak three languages
三ヶ国語(が)話せる  sankakokugo (ga) hanaseru I am able to speak three languages
三ヶ国語も話せる sankakokugo mo hanaseru I can speak as many as three languages (This would be best I think, as speaking 3 languages isn't something everything can do) You use も as a modifier to point out that something is of a larger quantity than normal.

Also the particles inside the brackets are optional to use.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Mon 03.12.2007 12:43 pm
Native language: Norwegian

Re: Japanese sentences in the Informal Present Tense

Postby Mr.Paper » Sat 08.29.2009 1:41 pm

Sairana wrote:
Mr.Paper wrote:why do you put in the examples, ka after no and ta at the end of the sentence?


It's ga (が) and da (だ); compare with ka か and ta た

Which textbook are you using? だ (da) is the plain copula. である isn't really informal/plain speech, as becki said:

becki_kanou wrote:1) である is more often used in a formal written style, だ would be more natural here.
今日は月曜日だ。(きょう は げつようび だ)


I don't use textbooks, I use notes on grammar. Textbooks suck when it comes to learning a language, its better to just use your brain that deals with language better than a book would.
Mr.Paper
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed 07.29.2009 9:46 pm
Location: Illinois
Native language: Spanish
Gender: Male

Re: Japanese sentences in the Informal Present Tense

Postby astaroth » Sat 08.29.2009 2:15 pm

Mr.Paper wrote:I don't use textbooks, I use notes on grammar. Textbooks suck when it comes to learning a language, its better to just use your brain that deals with language better than a book would.

Though textbooks usually say when to use its and when it's ... :twisted:
ー 流光 ー

   花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
User avatar
astaroth
 
Posts: 823
Joined: Mon 12.22.2008 5:08 am
Location: Amherst, MA
Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Re: Japanese sentences in the Informal Present Tense

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 08.29.2009 2:23 pm

Why are "notes on grammar" better than textbooks? Where are these notes coming from? Sure you have to use your brain, but you have to put the stuff in your brain from somewhere, and for a beginner, a textbook is by far the best option.
-Chris Kern
User avatar
Yudan Taiteki
 
Posts: 5609
Joined: Wed 11.01.2006 11:32 pm
Native language: English

Re: Japanese sentences in the Informal Present Tense

Postby Mr.Paper » Sat 08.29.2009 4:04 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:Why are "notes on grammar" better than textbooks? Where are these notes coming from? Sure you have to use your brain, but you have to put the stuff in your brain from somewhere, and for a beginner, a textbook is by far the best option.


I'm not a beginner. Textbooks from the U.S.A are not good for learning Japanese.
Mr.Paper
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed 07.29.2009 9:46 pm
Location: Illinois
Native language: Spanish
Gender: Male

Re: Japanese sentences in the Informal Present Tense

Postby furrykef » Sat 08.29.2009 4:34 pm

Mr.Paper wrote:I'm not a beginner.


*falls out of chair laughing*

Dude, I'm a beginner, and my Japanese is way beyond yours, I'm afraid. I hate to be so blunt, but, well, seeing your posts around here lately, quite frankly I think you deserve it.

I'm not saying this to assert any kind of superiority over you or anything pathetic like that. I'm saying that you need to learn some humility and accept that you don't know this stuff as well as you think you do.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
User avatar
furrykef
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: Thu 01.10.2008 9:20 pm
Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)
Gender: Male

Re: Japanese sentences in the Informal Present Tense

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 08.29.2009 6:33 pm

Mr.Paper wrote:
Yudan Taiteki wrote:Why are "notes on grammar" better than textbooks? Where are these notes coming from? Sure you have to use your brain, but you have to put the stuff in your brain from somewhere, and for a beginner, a textbook is by far the best option.


I'm not a beginner.


You are definitely a beginner. I don't mean this as an insult, and it's definitely not a bad thing to be a beginner -- everyone here (except for native Japanese speakers) was a beginner at one point. But you are still at the beginner level when you are having trouble with basic conjugations and particle uses.
-Chris Kern
User avatar
Yudan Taiteki
 
Posts: 5609
Joined: Wed 11.01.2006 11:32 pm
Native language: English

Re: Japanese sentences in the Informal Present Tense

Postby astaroth » Sat 08.29.2009 6:35 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:everyone here (except for native Japanese speakers) was a beginner at one point

Well technically even native speakers were beginners at some point ... :lol:
ー 流光 ー

   花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
User avatar
astaroth
 
Posts: 823
Joined: Mon 12.22.2008 5:08 am
Location: Amherst, MA
Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Re: Japanese sentences in the Informal Present Tense

Postby Mr.Paper » Sat 08.29.2009 6:47 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
Mr.Paper wrote:
Yudan Taiteki wrote:Why are "notes on grammar" better than textbooks? Where are these notes coming from? Sure you have to use your brain, but you have to put the stuff in your brain from somewhere, and for a beginner, a textbook is by far the best option.


I'm not a beginner.


You are definitely a beginner. I don't mean this as an insult, and it's definitely not a bad thing to be a beginner -- everyone here (except for native Japanese speakers) was a beginner at one point. But you are still at the beginner level when you are having trouble with basic conjugations and particle uses.

Basic conjugations? wtf. I've studied this language for 1 year now. I know what i'm doing.
Mr.Paper
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed 07.29.2009 9:46 pm
Location: Illinois
Native language: Spanish
Gender: Male

Re: Japanese sentences in the Informal Present Tense

Postby phreadom » Sat 08.29.2009 6:47 pm

And now you're banned. Bye bye troll.

(That's a 1 week ban to cool off the attitude hopefully. First time I haven't permanently banned someone. It seems he is at least making some effort to learn the language, so I don't want to perm ban him. But hopefully this will give him some time to re-evaluate his attitude and behavior in a public forum, and more specifically toward people who are fluent or much more advanced and who are trying to help him.

If he pulls this attitude again in a week, then it will be perm ban time as far as I'm concerned.)
猿も木から落ちる
User avatar
phreadom
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1761
Joined: Sun 01.29.2006 8:43 pm
Location: Michigan, USA
Native language: U.S. English (米語)
Gender: Male

Re: Japanese sentences in the Informal Present Tense

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 08.29.2009 6:51 pm

Mr.Paper wrote:Basic conjugations? wtf. I've studied this language for 1 year now. I know what i'm doing.


"furansu ga hanasanai", "miruku ga sukkunai na", and "miruku wa yokunai shinjiru" are basic conjugation problems. 1 year of study puts you still firmly in the beginner level.
-Chris Kern
User avatar
Yudan Taiteki
 
Posts: 5609
Joined: Wed 11.01.2006 11:32 pm
Native language: English

Next

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests