Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 漢字の練習

漢字の練習

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

漢字の練習

Postby tōkai devotee » Sun 08.30.2009 11:48 pm

Hi all! I've just started calligraphy (Shodo) classes and have been given a load if information from the sensei and it's all in Japanese. :o So, I'm trying to review some Kanji and in doing so, I think it'd be really helpful to know what the various radicals mean and about their origins etc. I learned all this a million years ago when I first started learning Japanese, but have since forgotten it. Where can I find such information? I've looked at various websites and they don't go into the detail about the radicals.

Thanks in advance!
:D
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Re: 漢字の練習

Postby becki_kanou » Mon 08.31.2009 5:59 am

I've always really liked Henshall's "Guide to Remembering Japanese Characters". It gives a short etymological summary for each character explaining the whys and wherefores of how the radicals fit together, and includes a short mnemonic as well. It doesn't include stroke order for individual characters so far as I remember (I seem to have mislaid my copy somewhere) but it does have a general stroke order guide in the index.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Re: 漢字の練習

Postby tōkai devotee » Mon 08.31.2009 6:28 am

ありがとう、ベッキ-さん!
It looks like a good book. It could be exactly what I'm looking for. It's available at my local library so I'm going to check it out - and check it out!! :lol:
I think I'm pretty much ok with stroke order so it doesn't matter if the book doesn't include this. My Shoudo sensei will help me with this though.
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)