Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - My shot at a translation (corrections please)

My shot at a translation (corrections please)

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

My shot at a translation (corrections please)

Postby kentaku_sama » Tue 02.16.2010 12:06 pm

Original: 

2009年6月15日からライセンスが更新され、ウィキペディア日本語版のテキストと一部のファイルが、従来の「GNU Free Documentation License」に加えて「クリエイティブ・コモンズ 表示-継承 ライセンス」でも利用可能になりました。

Translation:

Since the license update from June 15, 2009, The [GNU Free Documentation License] in additon to the [Creative Commons] inheretance representation have made the use of the japanese wikipedia text along with part of the files possible.

Please Correct if necessary :)
kentaku_sama

Native language: English

Re: My shot at a translation (corrections please)

Postby Hyperworm » Tue 02.16.2010 4:14 pm

As of 2009-06-15, the license has been updated, such that the text of the Japanese version of Wikipedia, and some of its files, are now usable under the "Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License" in addition to the "GNU Free Documentation License".

I think :)
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 02.16.2010 10:54 pm

Perfect in one shot, HyperWorm. =)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby kentaku_sama » Wed 02.17.2010 12:04 pm

As of 2009-06-15, the license has been updated, such that the text of the Japanese version of Wikipedia, and some of its files, are now usable under the "Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License" in addition to the "GNU Free Documentation License".

So kara can mean "as of"

Ok yours sounds alot better than mine but did I basically get it right, not regarding text flow? I'm not much of a writer. And I understood it if that's what it meant.

Here's another one Please correct :)

Original:

ウィキペディアはオープンコンテントの百科事典です。基本方針に賛同していただけるなら、誰でも記事を編集したり新しく作成したりできます。ガイドブックを読んでから、サンドボックスで練習してみましょう。質問は利用案内でどうぞ。

Translation: 
Wikipedia is a Free, Open-Content Encyclopedia in which anyone, by agreeing with our basic policy, can edit anyone's articles
or newly create their own. Try to practice in the sandbox by reading the guide book. Question usage information is presented.

Sorry if it sounds unnatural in english because I can't figure a good way out to rephrase it.
I think it's because I'm starting to understand written japanese naturally instead of translating it into English as I read it.
kentaku_sama

Postby Hyperworm » Wed 02.17.2010 12:43 pm

The most important difference (ignoring the fact that you closed the brackets around [Creative Commons Attribute-ShareAlike License] too early - probably just a slip-up) is the "in addition to" and "under (=by using)" bits.

The files were already usable under the "GNU Free Documentation License", so the translation shouldn't say that the use of the text is (now) possible - it was always possible.

「クリエイティブ・コモンズ 表示-継承 ライセンス」でも利用可能になりました
became possible to use them even (in conjunction) with the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License

従来の「GNU Free Documentation License」に加えて
in addition to the normal GNU Free Documentation License (which they were already available under).

(Now someone else's turn :D)
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Postby kentaku_sama » Wed 02.17.2010 3:11 pm

Ok thanks, guess it's Hard study, practice, and trial & error to get to read japanese fluently. :)
kentaku_sama

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)