Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - ii desu ka

ii desu ka

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

ii desu ka

Postby Kansha » Fri 02.19.2010 10:00 am

My last Nihongo class for basic romaji 1.

Senshu no doyobi Nihongo kurasu owarimashita. Watashi tachi wa shiken o torimashita. Muzukashi desu ga tanoshii desu. (i passed the exam that's why i was happy <- Nihongo de nan desu ka :sweatdrop: ) Rasuto shiken o owarimashita, sore kare watachi tachi wa "Komoro Soba" resutoran de bangohan o tabemashita. sempai ni furi bangohan o moraimashita kara totemo yokatta deshita ( <- i was planning to say "our classmate treated us free dinner that's why i was very happy :sweatdrop: ) Tempura ya ramen nado ga arimashita. Totemo oishii desu soshite takakunai desu. Later on, i had to say goodbye to my classmates and to my teacher as i had to meet my boyfriend to watch a movie (Nihongo de nan desu ka :? )

**OPEN TO ALL CORRECTIONS**

Arigatou Gozaimashita. :colonthree:
Gambarimasho! :D
Kansha

Native language: Filipino

Re: ii desu ka

Postby UkiUki88 » Sat 02.20.2010 4:58 am

Hi, here are some of my corrections. Hope it helps. Also, I don't use romaji, so the way you spell words might be different.

Senshu no doyobi niNihongo nokurasuga owarimashita. Watashi tachi wa shiken o torimashita. Muzukashikatta desu ga tanoshikatta desu.

Shiken ni goukaku shita no de ureshikatta desu. (You were happy that you passed the test)

Rasuto shiken ga owattekara watachi tachi wa "Komoro Soba" to iuresutoran de bangohan o tabemashita. sempai ni bangohan o gochisou shite moratte -> (this is saying that your sempai treated you to a meal) totemo yokatta desu.

Tempura ya ramen nado ga arimashita. Totemo oishikute takakunakatta desu.

Overall, the mistakes were just in the verb tenses, its usually better to stick to one tense when writing a sakubun. Also, some particles were missing, but that will improve the more you study. :) Good luck on your Japanese class~~
UkiUki88

Native language: フィリピン語

Postby Kansha » Sat 02.20.2010 8:48 am

Arigato Gozaimasu Uki-san. :)

This really helps! I'm actually not familiar w/ "katta" form. i noticed you combine it w/ most of the adjectives. What does it do? and also the 'kute' form.. :think:

thanks everyone! (i just finished Basic 1 in our class, will start basic 2 next month) :colonthree:
Kansha

Postby becki_kanou » Sat 02.20.2010 9:56 pm

Kansha wrote:Arigato Gozaimasu Uki-san. :)

This really helps! I'm actually not familiar w/ "katta" form. i noticed you combine it w/ most of the adjectives. What does it do? and also the 'kute' form.. :think:

thanks everyone! (i just finished Basic 1 in our class, will start basic 2 next month) :colonthree:

〜katta is the plain past for i-adjectives. Remove the final i and add katta.
For example: oishii= (It) is delicious. oishikatta= (It) was delicious

For na-adjectives use datta.
For example: benri= (It) is convenient. benri datta= (It) was convenient.

〜kute is the linking form for i-adjectives. The meaning is similar to 〜and
For example: yasukute oishii (It) is cheap and delicious

For na-adjectives use de
For example: benri de tsukaiyasui= (It) is convenient and easy to use

HTH
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby UkiUki88 » Sun 02.21.2010 7:01 am

Also, for the last sentence, you could say it two ways.
1. Ato de kareshi to issho ni eiga o mi ni iku kara sensei to tomodachi to owakare shimashita. => This means you said farewell to your friends and teachers.

Eiga o mi ni iku => To go and watch a movie

You could also say you left early instead of saying goodbye.
2. Ato de kareshi to issho ni eiga o mi ni iku kara hayaku ikanakereba narimasen deshita. => This means you had to leave early.
UkiUki88

Postby Kansha » Sun 02.21.2010 11:18 am

Arigato! (jotting down notes..) :colonthree:

maybe we'll encounter the katta, kute and all other forms on our Basic 2 class. thanks a lot for sharing, i really appreciate it. All along i thought simply by making 'desu' to 'deshita' would make it past tense.. i.e oishii desu to oishii deshita, but now i see you can add the katta and make it 'oishikatta desu' (it was delicious). Yey! thank you again!

i have two more questions though.. :think: is 'oishii deshita' gramatically wrong? when is it more appropriate to use 'deshita' in a sentence?

Thank you again so SO MUCH. :blush:
Kansha

Postby ピーター » Sun 02.21.2010 11:26 am

I'm also not very far along in my studies, but it's my understanding that 'oishii deshita' is grammatically wrong, and would always be. It's only appropriate to use 'deshita' when you're dealing with an adjective with a long form ending in 'na', such as 'kireina'. 'i' form adjectives such as 'oishii' always use 'katta desu' format for affirmative past tense I believe.
ピーター

Native language: English

Postby Hyperworm » Sun 02.21.2010 1:16 pm

UkiUki88 wrote:eiga o mi ni iku kara ... owakare shimashita
UkiUki88 wrote:eiga o mi ni iku kara ... hayaku ikanakereba narimasen deshita
Is this a normal use of kara?

I would have done
eiga o mi ni iku yotei datta / yotei ga atta kara ...
or
eiga o mi ni iku tame
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Postby UkiUki88 » Sun 02.21.2010 6:05 pm

hmmm... :think: 「から」 in 「映画を見に行くから 」 means "because". Because you had to watch a movie. It is a more casual way of saying 「ので」、or 「映画を見に行くので」 which has the same meaning

After 「から」 or 「ので」 comes the reason for why you could/cannot do certain things.
Example: 暇だからカラオケに行けます。= Because I'm free (have time) I can go to karaoke.

「映画を見に行く予定」 Is also another way of saying the sentence~ :up:

As for 「ために」 it could mean, for the purpose of, in order to
Example 1: 父が仕事に持っていくためのお弁当を作りました。= I made my dad lunch to bring to work.
Example 2: コンサートに行くためにチケットを買っておきました。 = In order to watch the concert, I bought some tickets in advance.
Or Example 3: 生きるために食べなければならない = need to eat to live.

Personally I've only used 「ために」 for something that has a positive connotation. I didn't want to use 「ために」for the original sentence because it was about leaving your friends and teacher. Hmm.. not sure still, if anyone can help :sweatdrop:
UkiUki88

Postby samtsco » Sat 08.28.2010 12:34 am

I always used kara, node and tame ni as you describe but tonight while translating a technical paper, I began to get the feeling that 'tame' did not mean tame ni. Eg.,

スロット窓面積が小さくなるため銅損は増加する

Slot window area ga chiisakunaru tame copper loss wa increase suru.

I do not think this is saying that the copper loss increases in order for the slot window area to decrease. I think it is saying that because the window is smaller, less copper can fit inside. In other words (though after so many years, I am surprised I never knew this - if it is true), tame means kara, tame ni means in order to. But I suspect the usage or application of kara and tame differ in some way too subtle for a big ugly dude like me to understand.
samtsco

Postby samtsco » Sat 08.28.2010 12:58 am

Ok, I looked it up and it seems that TAME without the NI can mean a few different things, but in my case, it means AS A RESULT OF instead of BECAUSE. Subtle difference there. Add the NI and you get IN ORDER TO.
samtsco

Postby Hyperworm » Sat 08.28.2010 9:44 am

It's actually not to do with the presence or absence of に. It's down to context, unfortunately ^^
Making Sense of Japanese has an explanation on pages 99-101 (Google Books).
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Postby NileCat » Sat 08.28.2010 9:57 am

Samtsco, excuse me but, I could confuse you more, I'm afraid. :P
Do you see the totally different meanings of the following two sentences?
If you get the meanings, I can assure you that your understanding of the word "tame" is perfect!

スロット窓面積が小さくなるため銅損は増加する。
スロット窓面積を小さくするため銅損を増加させる。

EDIT: Ah! Hyperworm'd ninja'd me! :cry:
EDIT2: I have no idea what the "slot-window" means here, though. :whistle:
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)