Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Which road

Which road

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Which road

Postby themonk » Tue 11.02.2010 11:30 pm

Can someone analyze this :
東京へ行く道は、どれですか
Last edited by themonk on Wed 08.03.2011 7:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
themonk

Native language: NA

Re: Which is the route/road to TOKYO?

Postby Hektor6766 » Wed 11.03.2010 12:29 am

東京へ行く道は、どれですか。
Lit.: "Tokyo toward goes road as for, which is?"

へ (e) is the particle for direction toward.
道: michi-road.
か the question particle is at the end, not が
Note the noun phrase in the first part closing in on the immediate topic of the road, and the copula (or verb) payoff at the very end.

This site has some good lessons on particles in the grammar section, particularly on the difference between へ and に.
Hektor6766

Native language: English

Postby themonk » Wed 11.03.2010 9:32 am

Thank you so much Hector, for your speedy reply. I appreciate your critique on the "ka" part, too.

Putting the pieces together, i am guessing the "iku" part in the sentence is represented by two words, " 行く " ?

I appreciate your comments on Pimsleur. It sounds like you used at one point. Do you mind if i ask how you began your study (e.g. at college with a class or, self-study, if so, what materials did you use or you wish you had used). At the current level, (which i am guessing is very advanced ), how do you keep going (e.g. using apps, or any other activities).

Thank you. Only if you have time to address my additional questions.

Hektor6766 wrote:東京へ行く道は、どれですか。

Note the noun phrase in the first part closing in on the immediate topic of the road, and the copula (or verb) payoff at the very end.

This site has some good lessons on particles in the grammar section, particularly on the difference between へ and に.
themonk

Postby themonk » Wed 11.03.2010 9:34 am

I apologize for spelling your name wrong, Hektor, in a moment of excitement of learning those two words from you.

Hektor6766 wrote:東京へ行く道は、どれですか。

themonk

Postby Hektor6766 » Wed 11.03.2010 10:25 pm

どういたしまして、oldworldstudyさん。

Don't worry about the name, it's only a sign-on. :)

Thank you for the compliment! Actually, I've been studying Japanese for about 16 months. I'm still very much a student. You will meet others, Nilecat, Hyperworm, Becki Kanou, chikara to name but a few, who will be very helpful to you, much more than I. If you post in the Grammar Questions and Problems or the Translation Questions, they will find it more quickly than in the practice.

I'm a self-studIer, although I did study other languages in school and college, so I had an idea of what I needed to do. I never used Pimsleur, so I can't really comment on it. I began by borrowing Bowring & Laurie's An Introduction to Modern Japanese (and every other Japanese language book they had) from the library, buying a copy of The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary, and coming here. Since then I've used many sites like Tae Kim's, renshuu.org, Nihongo resources, and George Washington U's Visualizing Japanese Grammar, among others (download all the pdf's you can); http://www.sp.cis.iwate-u.ac.jp/icampus/u/linksj.jsp is a great portal. I just do what I can every day: study some grammar, review some kanji (radicals can be fascinating) and vocabulary, practice a little penmanship, compose anything from a phrase or poem to an imaginary dialogue or anecdote, read something from any text I can find. When I'm tired out from all that, I watch an anime or movie or news clip from the Tokyo Broadcasting Co. (reading the accompanying text), or listen to some J-pop or rock, trying to catch what lyrics I can. In short, I try to immerse myself in Japanese to the extent I am naturally immersed in English. The hard-wiring will come with time and diligence. Gambattekudasai!
Hektor6766

Postby chikara » Wed 11.03.2010 11:28 pm

oldwordstudy wrote:..... Which is the route to TOKYO?

For the word route/road, it uses migi. .....

TOKYO e iku migi wa, dore desu ga? ....

Just in case you didn't pick it up from Hektor6766-san's post it uses michi (道) not migi for route. Hektor6766-san pointed out that the sentence ends in ka not ga. Keep listening to Pimsleur and your ability to pick the difference should improve. :)

東京へ行く道はあちらです。
toukyou e iku michi wa achira desu. :P

oldwordstudy wrote:.... Putting the pieces together, i am guessing the "iku" part in the sentence is represented by two words, " 行く " ? ......

I'm not sure what you are getting at here. 行く is one word made up of two characters just as "iku" in romaji is one word made up of three characters.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Hektor6766 » Thu 11.04.2010 12:55 am

行く is one word made up of two characters just as "iku" in romaji is one word made up of three characters.

Thank you chikara-san. I neglected to address that.

Generally speaking, English conjugates verbs by tacking on a suffix or adding an auxiliary verb: help, helped, has helped. Japanese verbs have two parts: a stem (行-i ) and okurigana "send-off kana" (く-ku ). Japanese verbs generally keep the stems and change that okurigana for the conjugations. It's all one word, but a particular form of that word (行く being the dictionary form, I figured "Tokyo-toward-goes-road" to be clearer than "Tokyo-toward-go-road"). A very efficient way to use verbs, with far fewer irregularities than English.
Hektor6766

Postby themonk » Mon 11.08.2010 3:48 pm

Dear Chikara~
Thank you for much for elaborating on Hektor6766's comments. I will probably bother you in the future under Grammar section, as suggested by him.

chikara wrote:
oldwordstudy wrote:..... Which is the route to TOKYO?

For the word route/road, it uses migi. .....

TOKYO e iku migi wa, dore desu ga? ....

Just in case you didn't pick it up from Hektor6766-san's post it uses michi (道) not migi for route. Hektor6766-san pointed out that the sentence ends in ka not ga. Keep listening to Pimsleur and your ability to pick the difference should improve. :)

東京へ行く道はあちらです。
toukyou e iku michi wa achira desu. :P

oldwordstudy wrote:.... Putting the pieces together, i am guessing the "iku" part in the sentence is represented by two words, " 行く " ? ......

I'm not sure what you are getting at here. 行く is one word made up of two characters just as "iku" in romaji is one word made up of three characters.
themonk

Postby themonk » Mon 11.08.2010 3:55 pm

Dear Hektor6766 ~
Thank you so much for sharing.
Only 16 months?! I am impressed.

I appreciate your add-on comments following Chikara's. My silly question, to some extent, i think, reflects the nature of pimsleur's "just listen and repeat" method. It is a double-edged blade.

But, thanks to you, i got my silly question answered. I might have to bother you all soon with more silly questions, in the Grammer section, as you had suggested (i did not know that is where people frequent).

You sound like one of the few people who chose to use the Bowring book, instead of the JFE or JFB.

Hektor6766 wrote:どういたしまして、oldworldstudyさん。

Don't worry about the name, it's only a sign-on. :)

Thank you for the compliment! Actually, I've been studying Japanese for about 16 months. I'm still very much a student. You will meet others, Nilecat, Hyperworm, Becki Kanou, chikara to name but a few, who will be very helpful to you, much more than I. If you post in the Grammar Questions and Problems or the Translation Questions, they will find it more quickly than in the practice.

I'm a self-studIer, although I did study other languages in school and college, so I had an idea of what I needed to do. I never used Pimsleur, so I can't really comment on it. I began by borrowing Bowring & Laurie's An Introduction to Modern Japanese (and every other Japanese language book they had) from the library, buying a copy of The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary, and coming here. Since then I've used many sites like Tae Kim's, renshuu.org, Nihongo resources, and George Washington U's Visualizing Japanese Grammar, among others (download all the pdf's you can); http://www.sp.cis.iwate-u.ac.jp/icampus/u/linksj.jsp is a great portal. I just do what I can every day: study some grammar, review some kanji (radicals can be fascinating) and vocabulary, practice a little penmanship, compose anything from a phrase or poem to an imaginary dialogue or anecdote, read something from any text I can find. When I'm tired out from all that, I watch an anime or movie or news clip from the Tokyo Broadcasting Co. (reading the accompanying text), or listen to some J-pop or rock, trying to catch what lyrics I can. In short, I try to immerse myself in Japanese to the extent I am naturally immersed in English. The hard-wiring will come with time and diligence. Gambattekudasai!
themonk

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)