Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - The Best Way to Learn Kanji

The Best Way to Learn Kanji

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Re: The Best Way to Learn Kanji

Postby richvh » Wed 08.01.2012 9:13 pm

Heisig's book is designed specifically to improve your ability to write kanji from memory. I'm sure his method can be adapted to other languages, you'd just have to change the keywords and stories to something appropriate.

The issue many (including myself) have with it is that people want to use it for learning how to read Japanese, and it isn't designed for that, or (in my opinion) really useful to spend 1-2 years just memorizing kanji shapes without a basis in vocabulary and grammar to put them to use, especially as the keywords sometimes have little relationship to the meanings of the words containing the associated kanji.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby MeitanteiJesus » Thu 08.02.2012 6:16 pm

I think Heisig's method is great, but his stories and primitives not so much. Learn and use the framework of his system.

I'm currently just reading things I like, such as manga and light novels (in the raw JP form), and generating new stories for each new Kanji I go through and use a dictionary search on. For example: 洋

洋 in Heisig's book is "Ocean" but is mainly used in words like Youfuku (洋服 Western clothing), and Youshu (洋酒 Western Liquor). The left primitive means water and the right primitive means sheep.

So my story is that the westerners that came across the water/ocean to trade their clothing and liquor looked like sheep with their puffy beards. By knowing two words at least, Youshuu and Youfuku, you will also memorize the reading of "You". So this is probably better remembered with the keyword "western" or just the reading of "you", and not ocean.

This was a simple example, but sometimes primitives like 糸 which means thread and has that meaning as a primitive in Heisig's books, is a lot easier to remember as Spiderman and is more easily retained in your memory when used in stories as a primitive.
MeitanteiJesus

Native language: English

Postby richvh » Thu 08.02.2012 9:22 pm

"Ocean" isn't that bad a keyword for 洋, consider インド洋, 太平洋, 大西洋, 大洋. Instances where it means "western" are by association with the people who came from across the ocean.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby hirata » Fri 08.03.2012 11:41 pm

richvh wrote:The issue many (including myself) have with it is that people want to use it for learning how to read Japanese, and it isn't designed for that, or (in my opinion) really useful to spend 1-2 years just memorizing kanji shapes without a basis in vocabulary and grammar to put them to use, especially as the keywords sometimes have little relationship to the meanings of the words containing the associated kanji.

Most people (at least on RevTK) spend about 1-3 months doing RtK1. If a new learner can complete the book quickly, then it's worth the investment as it makes acquiring vocabulary and grammar afterwards much easier.
hirata

Postby Shiroisan » Sat 08.04.2012 3:22 am

hirata wrote:
richvh wrote:it makes acquiring vocabulary and grammar afterwards much easier.

So does actually learning it :P
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby hemat » Fri 06.21.2013 5:49 am

AJBryant wrote:As I always tell people:

Don't study KANJI. They do not exist separately from Japanese. Just learn WORDS. WHen you learn a word, learn how to write it properly in kanji. THat way you're doing two things: you're learning a kanji (or two) and you're learning the right way to write a word you're learning.

actually this how i started learning kanji, by learning the word first then memorise how to write it, but i found it quite tiersome :sweatdrop:
hemat

Postby zhangjunhai » Fri 06.21.2013 5:54 am

漢字はやっぱり難しいですね。
一生懸命 漢字を勉強すれば、易しくなると思います。
http://www.tiengnhatclub.com ( みんなちがって、みんないい )

世界には いろいろな国が あります。いろいろな文化が あります。クラスには いろいろな国の人が います。
文化が違っても、みんな友達です。 
zhangjunhai

Native language: vietnamese

Postby Ongakuka » Fri 06.21.2013 6:39 am

actually this how i started learning kanji, by learning the word first then memorise how to write it, but i found it quite tiersome

You get what you put in :wink:
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby RabidFox » Tue 10.22.2013 7:29 pm

私漢字習う以て活字体紙(FLASH CARDS)。 安易です。 一際有用いつ事によって電子計算機。 BYKI 偉いです。 Manga UniversityのKanji de Mangaも行使。

I learn Kanji by flash cards (Printed Cards). It is easy. Especially helpful when using a computer, making BYKI a great way to get started. I also use Manga University's Kanji de Manga series.
I am very new to writing Japanese. If I accidentally write something incorrectly, please don't take it the wrong way. I am very friendly and do not mean anything by anything.
RabidFox

Previous

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)