Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - A Quick Past Tense Short Form Question.

A Quick Past Tense Short Form Question.

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

A Quick Past Tense Short Form Question.

Postby RichMusic81 » Wed 05.30.2012 9:02 am

Hi all,

Can someone tell me please if the following answers to the questions are correct?
Short forms in different tenses etc, are just starting to 'click' and want to be sure I'm not going in the wrong direction because of a simple mistake.

Q: きのぅかぞくにでんわをかけた?
A: うん、かけた。/ ううん、かけなかぅた。

Q: きのぅもだちにあぅた?
A: うん、あぅた。/ ううん、あわなかぅた。

Thanks.
RichMusic81

Native language: English

Re: A Quick Past Tense Short Form Question.

Postby LordOfTheFlies » Wed 05.30.2012 10:29 am

RichMusic81 wrote:Q: きのかぞくにでんわをかけた?
A: うん、かけた。/ ううん、かけなかた。

Q: きのもだちにあた?
A: うん、あた。/ ううん、あわなかた。

The colored parts are mistakes I pointed out/fixed for you. I don't understand how you can end up writing ぅ instead of っ, do you use kana input instead of romaji input? If so I'd recommend using romaji input since it's a lot easier, you just type two or three consonants in a row to get a small tsu. The small u(ぅ) is used to change the vowel sound of a kana, while the small tsu(っ) is used to "double" the following consonant.

Also, I'm not saying using ダチ(だち) is wrong, but it sounds a bit strange in a question like this. I'd recommend using ともだち instead.

Grammatically there was nothing wrong with your sentences, but you need to pay a bit more attention to the kana ^^
LordOfTheFlies

Native language: Swedish

Re: A Quick Past Tense Short Form Question.

Postby RichMusic81 » Wed 05.30.2012 10:53 am

Thanks for that.
The っ's and う's etc. were silly mistakes from rushing. As was ともだち!

Glad the grammar is correct though, helped to make sense of similar questions I had.

Thanks again :)
RichMusic81

Native language: English

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)