Can some1 help me learn japanese??

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese
CuteAngel

Can some1 help me learn japanese??

Post by CuteAngel » Wed 03.16.2005 1:10 am

Hi,
I am vietnamese and i want to learn japanese. I want to start out by learning some words. Can some1 help me transalate the words from english to japanese? Greatly appreciated, thanks beforehand

1. I love you
2. i miss you
3. do u miss me
4. i want to be with you

clay
Site Admin

RE: Can some1 help me learn japanese??

Post by clay » Wed 03.16.2005 12:31 pm

CuteAngel wrote:
1. I love you
2. i miss you
3. do u miss me
4. i want to be with you

1) 愛している aishite iru I love you: But more often than not, when in English you would say 'love' Japanese say 'like' (好きです。 suki desu I like you)
2) 'miss' is a little more difficult. I have often wondered about how best to translate "I miss you." The closest word I know of is 恋しい koishii and while you can use this for most cases, you wouldn't say this to a male friend (if you are male) only to your boyfriend/girlfriend - あなたが恋しいです。 anata ga koishii desu I miss you. But you can use it for other things like 日本が恋しいです。 nihon ga koishii desu. I miss Japan.
3) I don't think it is common to ask such an upfront question. Usually you would express your feelings not ask about others. 会いたかったです!aita katta desu I wanted to meet you! Or perhaps more natural would be 久しぶりですね。 hisashiburi desu ne It has been a while hasn't it?
4) そばにいたい。 soba ni itai. I want to be next to you.  But be careful with this, you wouldn't say this to a male friend (unless you are a woman who is interested in him)

Just some thoughts. Anyone have ideas on how to translate "I miss you" better?
Last edited by clay on Wed 03.16.2005 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mukade
Native language: English

Post by Mukade » Wed 03.16.2005 11:55 pm

clay wrote:

Just some thoughts. Anyone have ideas on how to translate "I miss you" better?

You're right; a direct translation of "miss" is awkward in Japanese and not used very often.

Instead, I think most Japanese would say "I want to see (meet) you again."

また、会いたいです。
mata, aitai desu.

Maybe in a letter you would say something like "I'm sad we haven't met recently."

最近、会わなくて寂しいです。
saikin, awanakute sabishii desu.

Shibakoen

Post by Shibakoen » Mon 03.28.2005 11:00 pm

Thanks for the info. I'd been wondering about "I Miss You"/ "I Miss Japan". I left Japan a few months ago and I want to write to my Japanese friends in Japanese. I'm just wondering if koishii would be appropriate for saying to a friend who is female and was very close, but not my girlfriend. Or, should I just use something like "mata ainikitai"?