Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Abtract meanings

Abtract meanings

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Abtract meanings

Postby Gan » Tue 02.21.2006 9:50 pm

In japanese, how do you produce abtract meanings such as...

"Blood O'Clock" ?
or "A quarter to red" or "Half past red"?

is this how you would do the first one

血時。[Chi, toki to become chiji]? Does that mean what I want it to mean? or does it mean The hour of blood, -Blood's hour(time)?

Please. If anyone can help with these abtract meanings and give examples of others. I will greatly appriciate it.
Gan

Native language: English

RE: Abtract meanings

Postby Mukade » Tue 02.21.2006 10:08 pm

I'm not really sure what you're asking.

"Blood O'Clock?" "A quarter to red?"

These don't even make sense in English.

Are you trying to create a phrase or sentence that is poetic and metaphorical?

Please elaborate.
Mukade

Postby Gan » Tue 02.21.2006 10:18 pm

Yes, poetic. Its ABSTRACT meaning. Not normal, make sense meaning. I want to know about abtracity in japan. How do you do it? Yes poetical-metaphorical. But abtract if anyone can help, please do.
Gan

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 02.22.2006 12:36 am

Blood o:clock
Half past red
Quarter to red

All sound like really cheesy murder mystery book titles. ;)

I'm with mukade in not really understanding what you're asking. If you're asking if you can string words together in ways that they aren't usually used, then yes you can. However, just like in English, they're not going to make any sense. Additionally, if you're a foreigner saying/writing that, you have the extra hurdle of making people understand that you're not making a word choice mistake, but rather that you're trying to do something wierd with the language.

However,
Just like in English there are poetical/metaphorical phrases. 「君が私の心にいる」etc, but you have to know what you're doing. In your previous post you said Blood o'clock. It just sounds really silly (no offense). However, your use of "time of blood" or something sounds much better. You could definately do something like that in Japanese 血の時代.

Because the meaning of such things are abstract, I doubt there are any hard and fast rules about such, just as there aren't in english. However, just combining random kanji together to try and create a phrase is probably not the best way to go about it.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Gan » Wed 02.22.2006 1:30 am

Okay, heres kind of an explination.

A girl is walking down a dark alley, she had just got finished arguing with her widowed mom. Holding a bible in her hand, she's confussed, she doesnt know weither to beleive in this thing that people call "God" and she is afraid that he doesnt exist. She prays in the alley, hoping that someone will hear her. She decides that the only way she will ever figure out the truth is to take her own life. And her time of death will tell her if she goes to heaven or hell, in the hour of her death, blood of her life draining. Its her blood which is drifting with her soul. (When docters talk about time of death , its kind of like that ex. Dot: 12:00.) so her time of death would be when her blood spilled. not given an exact existant time yet an abstracticy. Which is her blood. which is Blood O'clock. I know its not very interlecual to combine random strings of kanji, thats why I ask about this. I have many abstract ideas for stories. I am very deep in my writings. And I wish to know how to produce such feeling in a language such as Japanese.
Gan

Postby AJBryant » Wed 02.22.2006 12:05 pm

I am very deep in my writings.

"Deep" is not the word you want.

Don't take this wrong... Remember that I used to be a newspaper editor and a magazine editor, and am a former member of SFWA (Science Fiction Writers of America). I used to read submissions and buy short fiction for publication.

Before thinking about coining some funky and confusing neologisms, think more about plot and what you're writing (to say nothing of spelling, grammar, and syntax).

This is *professional* advice. Take it for what you will.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)