Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Question

Question

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Question

Postby Dakata » Sun 04.09.2006 3:51 pm

"Watashi wa anata ni konomu ikemasen yo"

Is that how you say "I'm not allowed to like/love you"? Sorry, I'm not that good at translating from English to Japanese.

Also, if I said "___ is a sick, little monkey", in Japanese would it be "____ wa byouki chiisai saru desu"? Or something else?
Dakata

RE: Question

Postby richvh » Sun 04.09.2006 6:29 pm

I don't think 好む is commonly used to mean you like/love someone; the examples I see on ALC make it seem it's more like/prefer to do something. That's definitely not the right way to indicate something is prohibited. Using 愛する (which is a very strong "love", it would be:
私はあなたを愛してはいけません
Watashi wa anata o ai shite ikemasen.

You need a で after nouns or な adjectives that are chained to other adjectives (い adjectives change the い to くて when chaining):
○○病気で小さい猿です。
___byoukide chiisai saru desu.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Dakata » Sun 04.09.2006 6:38 pm

Oh okay. Thanks. :)
Dakata

Postby AJBryant » Mon 04.10.2006 1:26 am

You need a で after nouns or な adjectives that are chained to other adjectives (い adjectives change the い to くて when chaining):
○○病気で小さい猿です。

Except 病気 is a physical illness; calling someone "sick" is a psychological issue. I'd go with "kichigai."

This is a classic example of how idioms don't literally translate. In Japanese calling someone this would be met with blank stares and a kind of "naaaani?" response. It's like trying to translate "cheese-eating surrender monkey" into French. A literal translation doesn't carry the concept of a "(verb/noun phrase)-monkey" in English.

I'm still trying to come up with a decent Japanese translation of "get a life."

Tony

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Oracle » Mon 04.10.2006 1:53 am

AJBryant wrote:
○○病気で小さい猿です。

Except 病気 is a physical illness; calling someone "sick" is a psychological issue. I'd go with "kichigai."

This is a classic example of how idioms don't literally translate. In Japanese calling someone this would be met with blank stares and a kind of "naaaani?" response. It's like trying to translate "cheese-eating surrender monkey" into French. A literal translation doesn't carry the concept of a "(verb/noun phrase)-monkey" in English.

Totally agree - some things just don't translate well "as are" - this is one of them. You have to go take the original English apart and ask yourself "what does sick little monkey really mean?" :) how could I rephrase it?" I guess ultimately it means someone who's strange, twisted, deviant or something along those lines. How about 変わり者(かわりもの)、 変わっているやつ(かわっているやつ)、変(へん)、or 変態(へんたい) ?

I'm still trying to come up with a decent Japanese translation of "get a life."

hmm, that's a tough one. It's so common people probably don't really think about what it means, but I guess its basic meaning is something like "don't waste time on something so stupid / it's a waste of your life doing stuff like that".

how about : そんなくだらないことをしていたら、人生がもったいない!
or just 「人生、もったいない」

Doesn't quite roll off the tongue in the same way though..
Last edited by Oracle on Mon 04.10.2006 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oracle

Postby AJBryant » Mon 04.10.2006 10:35 am

Doesn't quite roll off the tongue in the same way though..

That's the problem with so many of those good idioms. That's part of the stress of translating. Sigh.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)