Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - A question on learning japanese!

A question on learning japanese!

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

A question on learning japanese!

Postby tane_stelzer » Wed 06.28.2006 12:04 am

hello there,
Well basically my question is simple. I want to learn japanese. I want to use it to read, write ON A COMPUTER and speak. I can memorize things quite well imho, and was thinking if it was possible to leave out any sort of handwriting?Does handwriting give you any other benefits other than the obviouse?
Tane
tane_stelzer

RE: A question on learning japanese!

Postby TrilinguisT » Wed 06.28.2006 12:09 am

i think you should learn to write it first. i find it very gratifying to know that i can write in 3 different kinds of writings, but then again, its only me. i dont know about you. i highly suggest you learn to write it.
TrilinguisT

Postby tane_stelzer » Wed 06.28.2006 12:14 am

Well i know the rules of writing kanji (same as chinese right), and i can write all the hiragana. I can write a bit of chinese. Well will i have any disadvantages and if yes what exactly?
Thanks for the fast reply, i appreciate it
Tane
tane_stelzer

Postby Schattenjedi » Wed 06.28.2006 12:18 am

You should at least learn the fundamentals of writing Japanese. All of kana and a couple hundred kanji should be enough. With that much knowledge you should be able to more effectively look up, identify, and write future kanji since you're able to tell how many strokes a kanji has and be able to identify the radicals in it.

edited to fix my english
Last edited by Schattenjedi on Wed 06.28.2006 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schattenjedi

Postby kohana » Wed 06.28.2006 12:18 am

You should probably also learn katakana, seeing as there's a lot of foreign words now integrated into the language and they're all written in katakana. ^^ You have a huge advantage that you know Chinese, though... You might want to study the Japanese readings for the kanji, that's all. =]
kohana

Postby tane_stelzer » Wed 06.28.2006 12:26 am

nono don't get me wrong i am not chinese.... I know some basic speaking and writing cos my friends taught me, i can probably write around 50 chinese words.... only. Katakana is still on my to do list but at the moment i want to add some vocabulary to my knowledge. Well are there any good good java stroke trainers out there? I can't use windows progs cos i use linx.
Thanks so much for the replies guys, i really appreciate it
Tane
tane_stelzer

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)