Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Learning by example, WITH FUN (ANIME)!!!

Learning by example, WITH FUN (ANIME)!!!

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

RE: Learning by example, WITH FUN (ANIME)!!!

Postby paul_b » Sat 07.22.2006 11:00 am

adelamro wrote:
Here is another:
http://www.filelodge.com/files/room18/475482/midori.avi ~350 kb

よ〜し。せいじくんが寝ている間に朝ご飯の支度を・・・。
paul_b

Postby adelamro » Sat 07.22.2006 12:57 pm

Thanks so much, paul_b, but beginners such as myself would really appreciate a few comments - it's about explaining what's being said, not just saying it. Also, thanks to richvh for reminding us of rikaichan :D
adelamro

Postby paul_b » Sat 07.22.2006 1:35 pm

adelamro wrote:
Thanks so much, paul_b, but beginners such as myself would really appreciate a few comments - it's about explaining what's being said, not just saying it. Also, thanks to richvh for reminding us of rikaichan :D

Well you've got subtitles. Work out what you can and when you've still got questions ask them.
paul_b

Postby Kates » Sat 07.22.2006 6:54 pm

Namakielin wrote:
ええ キングダム ハーシは ゼルダも 愛してる。

I see some mistakes. You wrote "ha-shi" not "ha-tsu." And it should be:
ええ キングダム・ハーツゼルだ愛してる。
Or probably "suki desu" over "ai shiteru".... never really asked anyone. >_> Can you "ai shiteru" a THING?
Kates

Postby zengargoyle » Sat 07.22.2006 8:53 pm

hey, while you're at it... :)

a really good use, possibly even better than learning random sentences, go through and pick out common gestures with a bit of context around them.

like waving your hand back and forth infront of your face 違う!
or pulling down your eyelid and sticking out your tongue...
or the way kids puff up their face when they're unhappy...

i think a gallery of images/clips of gestures would be a nice addition to this site.
zengargoyle

Postby clay » Sat 07.22.2006 10:50 pm

zengargoyle wrote:
i think a gallery of images/clips of gestures would be a nice addition to this site.

Does anyone know if there is an international standard on displaying excerpts of copyrighted material on the web? I certainly don't want to step on anyone's toes even if it is 'legal' to do so.

For example would it be permissible to host short clips from videos or photographs from books if proper credit is given?

Obviously with the vastness of the Internet and the 'everyone is doing it' mentality, the chances of getting 'caught' may be slim, but that's not the point.
clay
Site Admin

Postby paul_b » Sun 07.23.2006 1:51 am

Another 聞き取れない bit.
For context, himeko was late to school and just makes it into the class on time.

姫子:必殺・二段飛ばし!
姫子:あ〜。
友人:姫ちゃんすごい!最後の音とどあじじゃん。

http://www.uploda.org/uporg455498.mp3.html

PASS 1234
[Edit]Forgot to write the password again[/edit]
Last edited by paul_b on Sun 07.23.2006 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
paul_b

Postby zengargoyle » Sun 07.23.2006 2:25 am

clay wrote:
zengargoyle wrote:

Does anyone know if there is an international standard on displaying excerpts of copyrighted material on the web? I certainly don't want to step on anyone's toes even if it is 'legal' to do so.

For example would it be permissible to host short clips from videos or photographs from books if proper credit is given?

Obviously with the vastness of the Internet and the 'everyone is doing it' mentality, the chances of getting 'caught' may be slim, but that's not the point.

:)

being in the pipeline for such 'notices of infringement of copyright'... 99.9% of all troubles can be summed up with "take it down as soon as anybody complains." which is the same way the fansub community gets by with subbing things that aren't licensed by a distributor within the country. (that is, the actual Japanese copyright holders have never shown the slightest interest in protecting copyright in foreign lands, it's always the American licensee of distribution rights within America that puts any effort into stopping any sort of distribution within the American market...)

that aside, International-wise is probably a hard problem... i know in America, for Education, there are several cases dealing with copying a few pages here and there of some copyrighted work being acceptable/legal. how this translates into video media is a good question. in the same way, parody is protected, so if we make fun of them it's no problem :)

it would be totally cool to say get permission from Gennon or Bones or any other anime production company to compile clips of getstures with explanations for the purpose of improving inter-cultural relations... but i think in the same way that they don't bother with fansubs and the like that they wouldn't want to bother with lawyer time to approve such a thing. :(

any lawyers in the house? or anybody who works for an animation company?

of course an alternate idea... TJP users with web-cams or similar video capability who know a bit about common Japanenese gestures who want to give little demonstrations and license them into the public domain....
zengargoyle

Postby paul_b » Sun 07.23.2006 6:35 am

No customers?

paul_b wrote:
For context, himeko was late to school and just makes it into the class on time.

姫子:必殺・二段飛ばし!
姫子:あ〜。
友人:姫ちゃんすごい!最後の音とどあじじゃん。
http://www.uploda.org/uporg455498.mp3.html
PASS 1234

*ahem* Anyway I was thinking that this thread might be more on topic for the "Practice Japanese" forum.
paul_b

Postby clay » Sun 07.23.2006 9:04 am

Done. Now we are officially 'Practicing Japanese.'
clay
Site Admin

Postby requemao » Wed 08.23.2006 5:01 am

clay wrote:

There is not a real standard, but everywhere there is a legal concept called "fair use". It is based on four factors:
1. the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
2. the nature of the copyrighted work;
3. the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
4. the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

It is a slippery thing (because it is imprecise), but there is no problem as long as you stay on the safer side. Displaying half an episode or more is probably a blatant copyright infringement; an excerpt containing a 2-minute conversation won't give you trouble but it might still be on slippery ground; but a clip of ten seconds in length with only a couple relevant sentences is completely safe because it is insubstantial. Plus, the purposes are educational and this causes no negative effect on the market.

As far as pictures and (non-animated) drawings are concerned, Copying them entirely is a copyright infringement, but a thumbnail is OK.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use
[/url]
Parody is an even more slippery ground in our case; and while it's possible to hold onto it I don't recommend that. Fair use is exactly what we want to do.
Last edited by requemao on Fri 08.25.2006 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iwanu ga Hana
requemao

Postby clay » Tue 08.29.2006 9:35 am

Better to be safe... Thanks for the education. That was very helpful.

TJP has a little money from donations and ads. If there is a cost effective way to buy rights to display content for educational purposes that we want to work on, then that is a possibility.

If anyone has ideas or contacts, let's hash it out!
Last edited by clay on Tue 08.29.2006 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
clay
Site Admin

Postby Infidel » Tue 08.29.2006 10:25 am

my main problem with clips....didn't we have an issue with exceeding our storage capacity recently? I'd prefer to avoid that again.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby clay » Tue 08.29.2006 10:48 am

Infidel wrote:
my main problem with clips....didn't we have an issue with exceeding our storage capacity recently? I'd prefer to avoid that again.

That shouldn't be a problem now. I think I have several gigs worth of space on the new server. And so far bandwidth isn't a problem.

On the old server (moved a few months ago), yes, it would have been a problem.

The only problem with this new server is I have found it down a little too often for my tastes (for both TJP and TJS).
clay
Site Admin

Postby requemao » Tue 08.29.2006 10:53 am

I suggest that we start from the beginning. That is, let's try and follow the usual way of learning Japanese:

1. Hiragana / Katakana: Several anime series for children feature titles written in kana (or kanji with furigana), like Doraemon, for example. Also, often there are signs (shop signs, brands in packages...). A collection of screenshots, each conveniently clipped, would make for a good exercise on kana reading.

2. Simple, usual sentences: video clips of a few seconds in length could show some everyday phrases and courtesies in their appropriate context. Several short clips with similar phrases could be edited into one clip of up to half a minute. If visual context is not needed, the audio track could be extracted into a .mp3 or .ogg file for faster download.

3. Particles: It wouldn't be difficult (only time-consuming) to find short sentences that show the use of the most important particles (は、が、の、を、へ・・・). Visual context would help the memory, so I suggest video clips for this. Again, many titles of anime episodes are short phrases with one or two particles. Screenshots of those would be nice, too.

Once these three steps are done (hey, that's way in the future now, but it can be done if enough people contribute their 2円), we could go on to find examples for the same grammar lessons found here in TJP.

Kanji is a more difficult thing, I think that could be better learnt with song lyrics. Song lyrics are often not so good for grammar, but they are great for isolated words. Also, kanji found everyday in signs can be shown in real-life pictures (there you go, TJP-ers living in Japan!) and in anime screenshots.
Iwanu ga Hana
requemao

PreviousNext

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)