Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji Handwriting Thread

Kanji Handwriting Thread

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

RE: Kanji Handwriting Thread

Postby aKuMu » Sun 09.03.2006 5:37 pm

Thank you, richvh.
aKuMu

Native language: German

Postby randomperson » Tue 09.05.2006 4:08 pm

my writing.
it seems my 私 kindof got cut off
Last edited by randomperson on Tue 09.05.2006 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randomperson

Postby shin1ro » Sat 09.09.2006 11:38 pm

Elementary school children in Japan learn kanji with this kind of exercise notebooks.
If you're in Japan, you can probably find this kind of notebooks in (rather big) 100 Yen Shops :)
英語がおかしければご指摘ください(日本語も...)。サンキュ〜 ;-)
shin1ro

Native language: Japanese

Postby Infidel » Wed 09.13.2006 9:37 am

Ok, here's my sample. It's not my best work. I was falling asleep while i was writing, and I'm still getting used to the new paper, the larger squares throw me off, and this is the felt pen, because my ball point is giving out on me, but without those, the sample wouldn't be that much better, so I'm sending this.
Last edited by Infidel on Wed 09.13.2006 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby shin1ro » Sun 09.17.2006 9:49 pm

Infidel san, you used ink and you have handicapped to rewrite them. But by using the 原稿用紙 (sqares), the sizes of kanj are perfect like sample patterns. It's impressive to me by not only the sizes but the balances of radicals of kanji are also perfect :-)

Well, one thing I realized is that you seem to write 里 in 理 and 野 as 田 + 土 but actually it's 日+土, the centeral virtical line is a single stroke. ;)
Enjoy writing!
英語がおかしければご指摘ください(日本語も...)。サンキュ〜 ;-)
shin1ro

Native language: Japanese

Postby Infidel » Mon 09.18.2006 1:27 am

ありがとうございますShin1roさん

I've been writing with pen for a while because the paper than I normally use is too small for .5 pencil. But this new 原稿用紙 that Rich gave the link to is really great. So I've been working in pencil since that last sample. Thank you for the kind words and the suggestion. :) I still have a long ways to go though. Every time I write I try to improve something. My handwriting is very much still developing. It can be very obvious from looking at my practice papers which were written before the others.

I was able to get a scanner cheap on e-bay. So I hope to post more samples as I improve. My primary motivation for learning Japanese always the writing. One day when I'm good at 楷書 I hope to move on to 行書. I want to write very legibly whichever style I write in, but I don't plan on practicing 行書 until I at least write all of the 常用漢字 well.

I actually did re-write my sample with pencil and the difference is pretty noticable, so after I get my new scanner I'll post it to show the difference between pen and pencil. I also hope to post normal Japanese practice messages in writing. I can't wait. :)

It cost $8 to have that sample scanned at kinko's. My new scanner cost $13.50 after shipping.....I love e-bay.
Last edited by Infidel on Mon 09.18.2006 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby ss » Mon 09.18.2006 1:39 am

Infidel-san, I’m too impressed with your hand-writing. Your hand-writing is neat ! Perhaps you should consider using Chinese brush 毛筆 (もうひつ) to practice.

Just an aside, I was taught by my Chinese calligraphy teacher (at initial stage) when word is written wrongly, just circle it instead of strikethrough. We were not encourage to use correction fluid as it would leave an untidy patch on the 稿紙.

Really nice hand-writing! :)
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby Infidel » Mon 09.18.2006 2:37 am

Thank you too, SS san. I was worried that my handwriting might be too mechanical. I had read--I read too much--of several people that also loved the writing and practiced to a point where they were actually beginning to be proud of themselves, then they showed it to a Chinese or Japanese person and told, "it's alright" and when prodded, "It's too mechanical."

They never got a good explaination about why their writing was too mechanical, but I figured it was because they were imitating the computer fonts and went through a lot of trouble to make sure I was imitating penji and not computer fonts or brush script. I was worried that because I was trying to copy someone else's writing, I might look too mechanical too. But at least no one has called me that, so it is such a big relief.

I look at my writing and see so many things wrong. That, and my own lack of authority, is the reason I only allow myself 1 criticism of each person's sample. I'm seriously considering showing a graphical representation of my own criticisms soon. Then people can see that when I say I'm 1000 times more critical of my own work, I really mean it.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 09.18.2006 3:38 am

here are some more 原稿用紙 i've accumulated from somewhere or another.

beginner.pdf
intermediate.pdf
advanced.pdf
furigana.pdf

and if anybody is interested and a bit geeky... i've written a Postscript program that will let you print custom pages (size of squares, squares per column, columns per page, inter-column spacing, line weight), but you need to be able to handle printing a Postscript file, and changing some numbers in the file to tweak the output. give me a PM if you want to check it out.
Last edited by zengargoyle on Mon 09.18.2006 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
zengargoyle

Postby Rush » Mon 09.18.2006 10:15 pm

Anyone have a nice hand writing of 書. On an advance sheet would be nice. Thanks.
Rush

Postby mewarmo990 » Wed 09.20.2006 4:42 am

I've been learning Chinese since I was really little, so my handwriting isn't terrible. Better than my Japanese teacher's, actually (at least the kanji). I corrected him a few times once. Shouldn't have done that in front of the whole class. In the first week of Japanese 2, talking about radicals and stroke order and stuff.... yeah.

When I was little, I used the kind of notebooks that Shin1ro posted, except for Chinese. Then they kept getting more boring until it was really just a blank notebook with vertical columns.

So that's why Japanese 2 feels like kindergarten.

I want to post my handwriting, but don't have a digital camera handy. But wait, I have a scanner. I can do it later.

A few pointers for improving your handwriting:
- Follow the correct stroke order. To a native Chinese or Japanese person, it is very evident in your handwriting whether you followed the correct stroke order or not. It also makes your writing look neater.
- Use a normal, wooden pencil. It looks nicer and not so mechanical.
- This option is not really open to people who don't live close to Japan/Chinatowns or similar areas, but learning calligraphy greatly improves one's handwriting. I think the reason my Nihongo teacher's handwriting is sloppy is because he never learned it.
- Do not directly copy printed fonts. It doesn't work. People don't write like that, anyway. Don't you notice how the lower case 'a' in the English Arial font is uncommon among people's handwriting? Same thing. We usually write something like a circle with a line on the right side.

Infidel, your writing is actually very decent for a non-native learner. You tend to overshoot some of your lines - I noticed this on 季 - and you get the balance wrong on some others - I noticed 以 - but overall you could've done much worse.
Jesus said, "Come forth and you shall receive eternal life."
I came third and won a toaster.
mewarmo990

Postby mewarmo990 » Wed 09.20.2006 4:57 am

Infidel, I have rewritten the first two rows of your sample in my own style.

By the way, this can be a sample of my writing too, so feel free to evaluate. My handwriting is by no means perfect, so constructive criticism is appreciated.

Also, I apologize if I scribbled anywhere and cut corners (it's handwriting, not printing). Also, the ink blotted in some places.

Last edited by mewarmo990 on Wed 09.20.2006 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
mewarmo990

Postby Infidel » Wed 09.20.2006 6:15 am

edit - fixed

Infidel, your writing is actually very decent for a non-native learner. You tend to overshoot some of your lines - I noticed this on 季 - and you get the balance wrong on some others - I noticed 以 - but overall you could've done much worse.

Heh, Thanks. Actually, I feel that my writing is pretty terrible, especially in that sample, I was extremely tired when I wrote that so there are big blots where I actually fell asleep and let the pen rest on the paper for too long, a lot of vertical strokes aren't verticle, and sundry other things. Like Shin1ro san said, using a pen was a bad idea. When I write pencil and see my balance is off, I erase and re-write.

Even so, my pencil samples are hardly perfect, waiting on a scanner to show everyone. I already spend about 1/2-3/4 of my Japanese study time working on my handwriting. It's a major time sink so I have to compromise by being selective about which characters I'm attempting to learn to balance correctly at any given time.

I'm always trying to improve my writing, so my current sample just shows where I am now, not where I will always be. Generally the ones that look somewhat balanced are ones that I've been working on harder and ones with hardly any balance are new characters for me where I'm mainly just trying to remember how to write it in the first place.

My goal is to be write semi-cursive, but I need to get my balance right in printed form first so I'm taking it one character at a time.
Last edited by Infidel on Wed 09.20.2006 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby mewarmo990 » Thu 09.21.2006 1:03 am

In that case, you should go back to practicing the basic strokes. Once you can understand these well, you will be able to write the majority of kanji neater than you could before. Then you should get on to studying radicals, so you'll know exactly how to write the different parts of the characters, as well as how to grasp the general meaning (at least it works like that in Chinese).

My Japanese teacher at high school doesn't really know much about the strokes (line, stop, and hook. That's it? WTF?), so it wasn't emphasized and as a result a lot of my classmates' handwriting is frankly crappy from a native's point of view. But this is high school Japanese 2 we're talking about, so it's understandable.

And I did use pencil when rewriting part of your sample. However, it was barely visible to the scanner, so I eventually ended up doing pen. Ball-point seems to work best, because liquid ink from rollerballs almost always blots.
Last edited by mewarmo990 on Fri 09.29.2006 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
mewarmo990

RE: RE: Kanji Handwriting Thread

Postby Valatunda » Tue 03.13.2007 6:23 am

May I have my Kanji reviewed please.

I drew them in pencil, so I needed to do some colour changing to show them up better.
If they are still too faint, I can see what I can do to improve them.

ImageImage
Valatunda

PreviousNext

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)