Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji Handwriting Thread

Kanji Handwriting Thread

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

RE: Kanji Handwriting Thread

Postby ruisu81 » Thu 03.22.2007 4:49 pm

XJTA wrote:I feel my handwriting is fairly good.


I think so too B)
ruisu81
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu 03.15.2007 6:41 pm

RE: Kanji Handwriting Thread

Postby mewarmo990 » Thu 04.12.2007 10:53 pm

ruisu81 wrote:
I have a question for you guys. I noticed that my kana was pretty ugly, but since starting on kanji it's much more pronounced. I noticed that when I write the characters normally (the way I write in English) they're most ugly. But when I don't write like English, but more stroke (just noticed the significance of this word) as if with a paintbrush they look much better. I've never seen anyone write in Japanese before, so is it more of a flicking/stroking thing or is writing "normally" the way it's done in Japan?

Well, everyday handwriting is pretty much the same nowadays with both languages, so I guess that answer to your questions is yes, writing "normally" is fine in Japan. However, it is true that in primary school students are taught calligraphy, and this has actually has a profound effect on one's writing, distinguishing it from the much more awkward strokes of someone picking up the language for the first time. Foreign learners tend to over-exagerrate their strokes and their handwriting can sometimes be criticized as being too "blocky" due to the nature of the letters in the English alphabet. However, this can easily be corrected through practice, and in the end just remind yourself to follow stroke order and write so that your strokes feel natural.

You say that using stroking motions makes your Japanese handwriting better than if you write "normally" like you do in English. In Japan you could say that the way they are used to writing may feel like strokes to you, but "normal" to them. Of course, writing with a pen/pencil is obviously not the same as a brush pen (not paintbrush!).
Jesus said, "Come forth and you shall receive eternal life."
I came third and won a toaster.
User avatar
mewarmo990
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed 09.20.2006 2:20 am

RE: Kanji Handwriting Thread

Postby sexylexi » Fri 04.13.2007 1:34 am

I've never posted my handwriting so I thought I'd do so now. I wrote with a marker because I tend to write extremely small. I only wrote the kanji for watashi because I like the way it looks :P And I took the pic with a camera phone so the quality is kind of crappy. Well, enjoy :D

Image
Doumo arigatou gozaimasu. Dou itashimashite! :D
User avatar
sexylexi
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu 09.22.2005 6:40 pm

RE: Kanji Handwriting Thread

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 04.13.2007 8:55 am

It looks fine to me except for the ん; I had to read that first line a few times to figure out what it was saying. The bottom part shouldn't come up so high and you should start the first stroke downward rather than with that little squiggle.
-Chris Kern
User avatar
Yudan Taiteki
 
Posts: 5609
Joined: Wed 11.01.2006 11:32 pm
Native language: English

RE: Kanji Handwriting Thread

Postby richvh » Fri 04.13.2007 9:02 am

I agree with Chris; with that lead-in tail, the ん look too much like れ with the first stroke left out (which I understand is sometimes done in handwriting.)
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh
 
Posts: 6451
Joined: Thu 09.29.2005 10:35 pm

RE: Kanji Handwriting Thread

Postby juddcarlos2003 » Tue 05.08.2007 2:49 pm

Here is mine... please critize (nicely) ;).

Image
カルロス
楽園を待ち望む。
juddcarlos2003
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun 05.21.2006 8:10 pm
Location: Querétaro, Mx

RE: Kanji Handwriting Thread

Postby richvh » Tue 05.08.2007 3:20 pm

Looks sloppy to me, with stroke order wrong in at least one spot. Strokes 10-12 of 集 and strokes 1 and 3 of 持 look like Z's. The date isn't written like that, it's always Year, Month, Day, not Month, Day, Year (the latter is an American peculiarity.) Some characters I couldn't figure out at all.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh
 
Posts: 6451
Joined: Thu 09.29.2005 10:35 pm

RE: Kanji Handwriting Thread

Postby juddcarlos2003 » Tue 05.08.2007 3:29 pm

YES> IT IS SLOPPY>>> IF I WRITE SLOWLY, I TEND TO PAY TOO MUCH ATTENTION TO THE CHARACTER AND FORGET WHAT CHARACTER I AM WRITING AND WHAT RADICALS ARE INVOLVED... (I KNOW: WEIRD)
I usually write like this to some japanese friends... and they can read it... I know the date isn't written like that... thats my own thing...! The zs are suppose to be the sloppy way of writing the ki symbol. Please tell me what kanji characters you couldn't read.. thanks for your quick reply! OH, IN WHAT PLACE IS THE STROKE ORDER WRONG... BECAUSE I ALWAYS PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE STROKE ORDER! THANK YOU! :)
カルロス
楽園を待ち望む。
juddcarlos2003
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun 05.21.2006 8:10 pm
Location: Querétaro, Mx

RE: Kanji Handwriting Thread

Postby richvh » Tue 05.08.2007 3:46 pm

持 - you made a vertical, then a Z across it, for the left side (or that's what it looks like to me); it's top cross stroke, vertical, bottom cross stroke for that radical. Strangely, just a few characters before, you had no problem with the same radical. (採)

I can figure out most of the characters, but I had a hard time recognizing 元 down the left side, and the scribble at the top that looks like kana is indecipherable to me, save the last character (の), and the two kanji after 生 on the second line from the bottom have me stumped.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh
 
Posts: 6451
Joined: Thu 09.29.2005 10:35 pm

RE: Kanji Handwriting Thread

Postby juddcarlos2003 » Tue 05.08.2007 3:54 pm

「カルロスの筆跡」です。
「元気」です。
「生放送」です。
ずさん!
I'm almost sure you can't read "cursive" japanese... hee hee ;)

Thank you [for your 高批]!
Last edited by juddcarlos2003 on Tue 05.08.2007 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
カルロス
楽園を待ち望む。
juddcarlos2003
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun 05.21.2006 8:10 pm
Location: Querétaro, Mx

RE: Kanji Handwriting Thread

Postby richvh » Tue 05.08.2007 4:28 pm

Well, I have little experience, but could read most of it, but this is the first time I've run into cursive katakana. At least it wasn't grass-style.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh
 
Posts: 6451
Joined: Thu 09.29.2005 10:35 pm

RE: Kanji Handwriting Thread

Postby sei » Tue 05.08.2007 5:44 pm

zengargoyle wrote:
here are some more 原稿用紙 i've accumulated from somewhere or another.

beginner.pdf
intermediate.pdf
advanced.pdf
furigana.pdf



I know this post is pretty old now, and that's probably why the links don't work (at least for me), but i was wondering if they could be put back up, because i really wanted to see those practice sheets (that's what they are right?).

I'm hoping i'm lucky and zengargoyle-san will see this post. ^^'
User avatar
sei
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri 03.30.2007 3:34 pm
Location: Portugal
Native language: Portuguese
Gender: Female

RE: Kanji Handwriting Thread

Postby aKuMu » Tue 05.08.2007 6:12 pm

I searched my Hard drives and could only find these 2 of them

> Furigana < and > intermediate <
Last edited by aKuMu on Tue 05.08.2007 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aKuMu
 
Posts: 636
Joined: Sun 12.04.2005 8:19 pm
Native language: German

RE: Kanji Handwriting Thread

Postby sei » Tue 05.08.2007 6:18 pm

ありがとう ございます アクミさん。

The furigana one is pretty awkward (at least to me!), i don't really get it.

The other one... wow, the lines are thick! And i wonder why it's separted in groups of 2 rows of squares... I find that odd.

I think i'll go with another one that was showed in the thread (though i think the squares are a little too big... i write small ^^' ).

Anyway, thank you again. :)
User avatar
sei
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri 03.30.2007 3:34 pm
Location: Portugal
Native language: Portuguese
Gender: Female

RE: Kanji Handwriting Thread

Postby trabia-wind » Thu 06.21.2007 2:28 am

juddcarlos2003 wrote:
Here is mine... please critize (nicely) ;).

Image


ehh, i really like your handwriting? xD idk if it might be considered messy by people (and maybe when you connect two horizontal lines there's too much of a z type thing going on).. but it seems to flow kinda nicely to me. though i thought your カルロス was a really messy english version of "judd" at first.. o_o

your characters seem to have mostly nice proportions?

--

well, here's my handwriting:

Image

please give me any suggestions/comments? ^^

i kinda had to photoshop the image because i took the picture with a digital camera and it was kinda blurry/dark
trabia-wind
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon 02.19.2007 1:23 am

PreviousNext

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests