Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji Handwriting Thread

Kanji Handwriting Thread

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

RE: Kanji Handwriting Thread

Postby Infidel » Mon 08.27.2007 5:33 am

I used to use that kind of paper when I first started writing, then I discovered it was simply too small, barely acceptable for kana, but definitely too small for kanji. When I started writing with an eye for balance, I discovered that much of balance is achieved by paying attention towards the white space surrounding the character, but it is difficult to not touch the edges even with kana, much less write more complex kanji and maintain good amount of whitespace between the lines as well as around the character.

Some tips:
write き and さ with a greater diagonal, and disconnect the bottom curve. The curve is a typed font.
か this is also written differently with a pen than the font appears. Imagine a line going down the center of the square. Put ヵ on one half and ` on the other.
ト draw the centerline of the character just to the left of the centerline of the square. Also, it's important that vertical lines don't deviate. It's ok for horizontal lines to slant so long as they all slant the same degree.

Here are some good examples good kana writing with a pen or pencil.
Last edited by Infidel on Mon 08.27.2007 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby ph3nd » Mon 08.27.2007 7:26 am

Thanks for the tips Infidel

i also noticed one other problem with it. The katakana on the second line was ment to read ポケット not ポッケト

well looks like i can start practicing harder now (but i still have to find time to learn the grammar and vocab too)
ph3nd

Postby Kisshu » Fri 09.14.2007 11:25 pm

Hee.. any tips on my handwriting? (please ignore the 20 billion mistakes... its a VERY rough draft.) ;)
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Postby Infidel » Fri 09.14.2007 11:53 pm

my basic advice is to not write Japanese the way you write English. I.e, every character should fill an imaginary square instead of getting squished together sideways. Generally, you want the same amount of white space on all four sides of a character.

Also, to work on your handwriting, write bigger. A lot of characters can get pretty complex, it's better to write big while learning.
Last edited by Infidel on Fri 09.14.2007 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby Kisshu » Sat 09.15.2007 3:07 pm

Lawl. I will try to remember that. I guess my Japanese handwriting is th same as my English handwriting
ラブラブ!!<3
Kisshu

Postby AJBryant » Sat 09.15.2007 8:58 pm

I can relate. Many hundreds of years ago, I majored in architecture (before I heard the siren call of the Japanese studies department!), and was used to working with Rapidograph pens. I took to using the 0-size (that's zero, aught) to write with. That means my lines were like a hair wide, and it meant I could write REALLY FRIKKIN SMALL. :) When I started with Japanese, it annoyed my prof no end that I was writing these little teeny tiny kanji.

I've since moved to fountain pens for my love of their inkflow (which is great for Japanese). No more micro writing, but hey. :)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Pianogirl123 » Sun 09.16.2007 12:37 am

I like the people's handwriting which is a little slanty and slightly scripty because it is very pretty i think ; )

here is a sample of mine and some beautiful lyrics (not by me):
http://pianogirl123.home.comcast.net/Reflection.jpg
(sorry... i ended up linking it, thats better...)
Last edited by Pianogirl123 on Sun 09.16.2007 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pianogirl123

Postby Kisshu » Sun 09.16.2007 12:54 am

AJBryant wrote:
I can relate. Many hundreds of years ago, I majored in architecture (before I heard the siren call of the Japanese studies department!), and was used to working with Rapidograph pens. I took to using the 0-size (that's zero, aught) to write with. That means my lines were like a hair wide, and it meant I could write REALLY FRIKKIN SMALL. :) When I started with Japanese, it annoyed my prof no end that I was writing these little teeny tiny kanji.

I've since moved to fountain pens for my love of their inkflow (which is great for Japanese). No more micro writing, but hey. :)

Tony

Awww... but it's so fun to make people squint!
ラブラブ!!<3
Kisshu

Postby Infidel » Sun 09.16.2007 1:15 am

hrm,

Since you say you like slanty writing, it is acceptable to write the horizontal strokes slanted, provided all of your horizontal strokes are of the same slant. Vertical strokes still need to be as vertical as possible.

Your writing looks like you are copying typed fonts. Look at this "a" see how it's written? We know that people don't really write "a"s that way, but that's how the font appears. So some of your writing looks a bit mechanical, because it copies a mechanical font and not normal writing. き and さ usually do not connect the last stroke in handwriting. か the カ should only take up about 1/2 of the character space, the dash on the other half.

写 - this is 5 strokes and you are writing six.

日目自 etc.
The inner strokes need to be consistent. It's best to connect both ends of the inner strokes, but if you only connect on one end, connect on the left. What you don't want to do is disconnect the top on the right, then disconnect the bottom on the left.

隠 - the left element, こざとへん is written in 3 strokes and should not look like a B.

that should get you started. :)

-edit, first comment was addressed while I was writing apparently.
Last edited by Infidel on Sun 09.16.2007 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby mjmsisco » Sun 09.16.2007 6:00 pm

Heres mine.. I didn't know some of these kanji so theyre sortve messy.

This is a short passage from 1 litre of tears, rasuto retaa

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/182/rasutoretaaxu4.jpg
Last edited by mjmsisco on Sun 09.16.2007 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjmsisco

RE: Handwritten Kanji

Postby EvanT » Sun 09.23.2007 9:56 am

Hi guys and gals. I'm new here and I stumbled upon this thread and found it really interesting, since I've always wanted an impartial opinion of my hand-writing. I've been studying japanese for a year now (waiting to take 4 級). This is a page from a test my teacher gave the class (though I replaced all the hiragana words with kanji I've learned). It hasn't been corrected yet, so there may be errors in it. Here's a link to the scan: http://www.geocities.com/vagtsag/handwritten_japanese.jpg

どうもありがとうございます
EvanT

Postby JaySee » Sun 09.23.2007 11:34 am

Infidel wrote:
隠 - the left element, こざとへん is written in 3 strokes and should not look like a B.

In hand written language I think more or less everyone uses just 2 strokes to write that radical though, just like 子. Using 3 seems a bit... overly correct.
JaySee

Native language: Dutch

Postby Infidel » Sun 09.23.2007 11:13 pm

true enough. I was more concerned with the looks like a b than the 3 strokes. Generally, one needs to know how to draw something correctly before knowing where the correct places to take shortcuts are.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby stannoone » Sat 10.13.2007 12:29 pm

Konnichiwa! :)

I'm Beáta, a student from Hungary. :) My major is Japanese, and I was glad to find this site. :) Actually, I'm desperately searching for a blank genko yoshi sheet sample on net, however, I haven't found anything useful so far.. :( I've also tried the ones You had put up to behappy.com but I didn't even manage to find and open them. :( So, I would like to ask You to be so kind to send one directly to me by e-mail; plus, I would also like to ask for a kind of "manual" or "how to use" for it as well. :) Thank You for Your help in advance! :) I'm looking for the mails to: heldenvonheute@mailbox.hu

Greetings from Hungary,
beáta
stannoone

Postby AJBryant » Sat 10.13.2007 1:32 pm

Read this thread. There are a few links to genko yoshi.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

PreviousNext

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)