Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji Handwriting Thread

Kanji Handwriting Thread

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Re: Kanji Handwriting Thread

Postby rina-chi-coccomi » Wed 07.16.2008 10:26 am

richvh wrote:
rina-chi-coccomi wrote:Actually, I think the little や is supposed to be in the lower right, not the upper right. It's only punctuation that goes in the upper right.

Wikipedia says upper right (though the Japanese version is silent on this point.)

It's written in Japanese text books on the bottom left, and even my Host father told me that it was lower left. That's the way that i was taught how to do it :?
rina-chi-coccomi

Postby richvh » Wed 07.16.2008 11:38 am

rina-chi-coccomi wrote:
richvh wrote:
rina-chi-coccomi wrote:Actually, I think the little や is supposed to be in the lower right, not the upper right. It's only punctuation that goes in the upper right.

Wikipedia says upper right (though the Japanese version is silent on this point.)

It's written in Japanese text books on the bottom left, and even my Host father told me that it was lower left. That's the way that i was taught how to do it :?

Make up your mind - lower right or lower left?

In horizontal text, it's lower left, I won't dispute that, but in vertical text it's definitely on the right.

Edit: I found a Japanese language page explaining the use of genkou youshi that definitely shows that small kana should go in the upper right
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby rina-chi-coccomi » Thu 07.17.2008 7:53 am

Sorry! I meant to say earlier lower right :oops: Wasn't thinking straight at the time, sorry.
I asked my friends and alot said upper right, but then alot said lower right, so I've gotten very confused about the whole thing now. They couldn't make up their minds as to where they thought it goes :?
I guess then that It's the upper right.
Sorry! :oops:
rina-chi-coccomi

Postby Kudo Masaki » Sat 08.30.2008 4:19 pm

I think my handwriting has gotten better since the last time I posted, but since I dont have a scanner here, I cant upload anything...:(
Kudo Masaki

Postby Majik4ever » Tue 09.02.2008 12:04 pm

A little script to I wrote for an answer to a Genki question.
[yes I know I got "初めまして" and "どうぞよろしく" mixed up. :oops: (I wrote this back when I had the flu, so yeah. Also ignore the little doodles...hehe^^)]

LINK: Majik's Japanese Handwriting
http://learn.majik4ever.com
~99% Dork 1% Crazy.~
Majik4ever

Postby Adorable_Kitty » Sat 09.20.2008 1:27 pm

hey wazz up im trying to learn japanese but im not very good at it do u think someone could help me out? :cry: 8)
~Meow~
Adorable_Kitty

Postby becki_kanou » Sat 09.20.2008 9:48 pm

Adorable_Kitty wrote:hey wazz up im trying to learn japanese but im not very good at it do u think someone could help me out?

I'd suggest first of all reading the FAQ and the forum rules.

It is not good form to hijack a thread to ask an unrelated question. Also you will find you will receive many more responses if you attempt to proof-read (i.e. correct spelling errors, capitalize and punctuate properly) before submitting a message.

Other than that, check out this page on getting started.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby nukemarine » Thu 11.13.2008 7:05 am

Here's a sample of my handwriting. I use a pen, so it can get messy at times. I use a standard college ruled notebook which I write down vertically. I still write pretty slow at about a sentence a minute or two pace. Part of my problem I notice now and again is the proportions on the simpler kanji. I tend to write them smaller, as I usually write them as radicals. Same can be said for my kana I think.

Critique and advice is requested.

Current source of sentences I use for practice is http://www.iknow.co.jp which I mentioned on the learning resource forum.
nukemarine

Postby Chase » Sat 11.22.2008 10:17 am

Wow, that looks childish. I blame the tablet :)
Chase

Postby ss » Sat 11.22.2008 11:15 am

Nukemarineさん、

I noticed one mistake, you probably wanted to write 責任 (せきにん) - duty; responsibility, but you wrote 青任 (→11th column from the left )。

A=Very Good
B=Average
C=Need more practice

B+ ^_^
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby JohtoKen » Sat 01.03.2009 9:47 pm

All of the 教育漢字2年生. If there is anything I should fix (I am completely aware of 工 looking like a T and a _ separately), please let me know.
JohtoKen

Postby nukemarine » Mon 01.05.2009 5:19 am

JohtoKen,

Looks very, very good. Did you do this from memory, or looking at the kanji? Only issues depends if that's 手 above 父 or 毛, as you curved the bottom stroke the wrong way if it's "hand". Plus 船 has a longer stroke through the center, but that's a minor nit. In addition 戸 's first stroke can be downward similar to how you did 言.

Obviously, I don't know if you did the stroke order correctly. Some will argue that's irrelevant, but practicing it now makes it second nature in the future.

PS: on right hand radicals, the bottom horizontal stroke is usually upward like in 理、野、and 頭. Another minor nit mind you.
nukemarine

Postby spin13 » Tue 01.06.2009 5:32 am

I copied this because the original handwriting was too difficult to read without assistance. I did this back in September, I believe.

On a side note, if anybody knows the difference between 妙徳 and 徳, I would be quite interested in hearing what you have to say. Not finding 妙徳 in even 広辞苑, I asked the author and was told, "Well, if you understand 徳, I suppose that's good enough."
Attachments
.JPG
.JPG (26.88 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Native language: English

Postby JohtoKen » Tue 01.06.2009 11:17 pm

nukemarine wrote:JohtoKen,

Looks very, very good. Did you do this from memory, or looking at the kanji? Only issues depends if that's 手 above 父 or 毛, as you curved the bottom stroke the wrong way if it's "hand". Plus 船 has a longer stroke through the center, but that's a minor nit. In addition 戸 's first stroke can be downward similar to how you did 言.

Obviously, I don't know if you did the stroke order correctly. Some will argue that's irrelevant, but practicing it now makes it second nature in the future.

PS: on right hand radicals, the bottom horizontal stroke is usually upward like in 理、野、and 頭. Another minor nit mind you.

I looked at the kanji for this set.

Yes, that's 毛 above 父. 手 is 1st grade. This list is 2nd grade.

Thanks for the 戸 tip.

I relied on the techniques for writing kanji (go from the top left and work your way down) to write the kanji. I'll probably look at the stroke order diagrams for some kanji, but I usually get stroke order down if I know the radicals.
JohtoKen

Postby nukemarine » Wed 01.07.2009 1:25 am

Yeah, if you know the radical stroke orders, it's generally no problem after that with some minor exceptions.
nukemarine

PreviousNext

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)