Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Quiz Today

Quiz Today

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Quiz Today

Postby rizu » Mon 10.30.2006 9:37 pm

こんにちは、みなさん!

今日テストがありました。 I would like to check here and see if I made any mistakes (I am in my first year of formal Japanese classes). The quiz today was on past-tense, but... my questions aren't on past tense. I wanted to make sure I correctly used some of the terms that the teacher has not taught the class yet.

Quiz question: Write 3 sentences of what you did this weekend. Write 2 sentences of things you did not do.

せんしょう (haha, just realized I put "last week" instead of "this past weekend".. oh well) 私はマサチュセッツに行きました。 土曜日に私の友だちにデパートに会いました。 日曜日に私の母と母のうちで朝ごはんを食べました。
私の猫を見ませんでした。 日曜日に私は買いものをしませんでした。 金曜日に私のおじいさんを見ませんでした。でも、父を見ました。

Please feel free to correct my basic Japanese... but my real question is; did I use 母 と 父 correctly?
rizu

RE: Quiz Today

Postby Dehitay » Mon 10.30.2006 9:44 pm

yeah as long as they're your own parents, it's still ok to use 母 and 父. I could understand everything. Only problem I see is that 'last week' would be spelled せんしゅう not せんしょう. But you said you didn't even mean to use that anyways.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby rizu » Mon 10.30.2006 9:48 pm

oops. I meant senshuu (せんしゅう). Yeah, I was supposed to put senshuu no shuumatsu (If that even makes sense..........or... at least I assume I was supposed to... the class is very basic so maybe no one else put it either and I won't get any points off. If there is a word for "last weekend" I don't know it and she hasn't taught it.)

Thank you for your feedback!
Last edited by rizu on Mon 10.30.2006 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rizu

Postby Mukade » Tue 10.31.2006 2:38 am

rizu wrote:
土曜日に私の友だちにデパートに会いました。

Just a minor change in particles:
土曜日に友達にデパートで会いました。

I also dropped the 私の in 私の友達, because it would pretty much be understood. I would continue to do the same in all your sentences, since it would be understood that you are talking about your grandmother, mother, father, etc. The only one I would leave is 私の猫.

rizu wrote:
金曜日に私のおじいさんを見ませんでした。でも、父を見ました。

Although in English we say "I saw so-and-so," in Japanese, the proper word would be "to meet."

So:
金曜日におじいさんに会いませんでした。でも、父に会いました。

rizu wrote:
Please feel free to correct my basic Japanese... but my real question is; did I use 母 と 父 correctly?

Yes. In fact, the only time you tend to use 母 and 父 in that way (without the honorifics) is when you are talking about your own parents. This is one other reason why putting 私の in front of each would be redundant.
意味がなくてもええねん!
Mukade

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 10.31.2006 11:19 am

Remember to distinguish between "see" (view something) and "see" (meet someone) when using Japanese.
Mike Cash

Postby rizu » Tue 10.31.2006 2:14 pm

Thank you for the replies.

土曜日に友達にデパートで会いました。
I should probably have changed this sentence a bit. Although it works either way, it would probably be more 'correct' if I changed it to...
土曜日にデパートで友達に会いました。
I'm not sure exactly when I get the quiz back, but we shall see what they say!

And I will remember the difference between "see" (view something) and "see"(meet someone). I was torn while I was writing it, as I wasn't sure which one I should be using.

*"The More You Know" star flies by*
rizu

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)