Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 「どうぞ」と「ください」はどう違いますか

「どうぞ」と「ください」はどう違いますか

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

「どうぞ」と「ください」はどう違いますか

Postby naki_mushi » Wed 11.22.2006 1:48 am

質問があります!(^_^」)

「どうぞ」と「ください」はどう違いますか?教えていただきませんか?

知りたいことは、どの場合で「どうぞ」が使えて、どの場合で「ください」が使えますか?そして、「どうぞ」と「ください」は同じの文章で存在できますか?最後のは、「どうぞ」は「ください」の代わりに使えますか?

お邪魔しました。
naki_mushi

RE: 「どうぞ」と「ください」はどう違いま

Postby aKuMu » Wed 11.22.2006 4:29 am

Well どうぞ is when you offer someone something and ください when you 'want' someone something to do. Or when expecting that the other won't refuse? Like a light command form. While どうぞ is just more like a pleasing.

At least thats what i think.
aKuMu

Native language: German

Postby natemb » Wed 11.22.2006 4:47 am

The way I usually think of it is どうぞ means "go ahead" and ください means "please". This is basically what Akumu was saying. But ください can also be used when offering something, and in that case, どうぞ and ください can be used together in the same sentence, making it more polite:

どうぞお入りください。 (I believe this is correct Japanese, please correct me if I'm wrong. I would say it's more a offer than a request)

I still remember being very confused by ください the first time I visited my girlfriend's house and after dinner her father said 「お風呂に入ってください。」, and I interpreted it as "Please take a bath". I was later assured that this was an offer and not a request.
Last edited by natemb on Wed 11.22.2006 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
natemb

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 11.22.2006 9:06 am

Generally, どうず is used in cases where you are giving someone permission to do something. ください is used when someone is doing something for you.

Now, these have wider associated meanings -- i.e. when you hand someone something and say どうず it's sort of like you're giving them permission to take it, but moreso than that it usually means that you're giving it to them because you're asking them to do something with it (i.e. eat it, check it over for you, grade it)

ください can be used in cases where a favor is specifically being done for you, but like all the verbs of giving, the idea of the "favor" can be rather vague. For instance, the example of 風呂に入ってください is technically expressing the entering of the bath as a favor for the speaker, but it's basically just a general way of saying "please"; it softens the command form that comes before it. In the case of ください even though it's grammatically a command form, it acts as a request. You can make it くださいませんか in cases where you want to make the request part more specific, but you can't always do that -- for instance, if you're giving someone directions, you say things like 右に曲がってください, but くださいませんか would sound strange there.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Infidel » Wed 11.22.2006 4:04 pm

Part of the problem is that "please" serves many different functions in English where in Japanese, each function that would often translate "please" is tied to a different word.

Kudasai is added to a request, or offer. If you don't expect someone to fill your request, or it would be presumptious to imply that you expect your request to be filled, then another word, like onegai, would be more appropriate. This is essentially the "what's the magic word" function. The main thing to keep in mind it carries a nuance of expectation the other words don't have. If someone offers their ofuro, they simply expect that you will want to take advantage of it, not that they are ordering you to use it. After all, who wouldn't want to take advantage of an ofuro?

douzo is "please" in the sense of "please" accept this _small_ service. It is a giving please that you use when doing someone a small favor. Unlike kudasai, it is not added solely for politeness. It can also be tacked to the other "please" words to make them more polite. It carries a slight nuance of hope.

Onegai is "please" when you really mean it. It carries a strong implication of hope.
Last edited by Infidel on Wed 11.22.2006 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 11.22.2006 5:02 pm

If someone offers their ofuro, they simply expect that you will want to take advantage of it, not that they are ordering you to use it. After all, who wouldn't want to take advantage of an ofuro?

I think that's a good explanation. I've noticed that some students have trouble with てください because in appearance (and grammar) it is a command, despite using a polite word. But it's OK to use that command in cases where you expect that the person wants to do the action.

So if you're giving directions, you assume the person wants to get to where they're going, so that they want to do what you're saying. So when you say 右に曲がってください you're technically ordering them to turn right, but because you can assume they want to follow your directions and reach their destination, it's OK.

Although in other cases it actually is a command. When a teacher says もう一度言ってください, that's clearly a command -- although this can also be explained by "expectation", because as a teacher you expect that the student is going to do what you say.

And in the same way, くださいませんか sounds odd when there is that expectation. お風呂に入ってくださいませんか sounds strange because it seems to actually imply that the person entering the bath will be a favor for you.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby naki_mushi » Wed 11.22.2006 6:48 pm

Thank you so very much for your input. But what about the questions highlighted in red?

naki_mushi wrote:
質問があります!(^_^」)

「どうぞ」と「ください」はどう違いますか?教えていただきませんか?

知りたいことは、どの場合で「どうぞ」が使えて、どの場合で「ください」が使えますか?そして、「どうぞ」と「ください」は同じの文章で存在できますか?最後のは、「どうぞ」は「ください」の代わりに使えますか?

お邪魔しました。
naki_mushi

Postby coco » Wed 11.22.2006 9:23 pm

そして、「どうぞ」と「ください」は同じの文章で存在できますか?

natembさんの出した例、
どうぞお入りください。
これは、日常でよく使われる言葉です。
「どうぞ+動詞+ください」の形は他にもたくさんあります。
・どうぞお召し上がりください。
・どうぞお使いください。
・どうぞお許しください。
・どうぞご利用ください。

etc.
「どうぞ」と「ください」を一緒に使う場合、敬意を払った言い方になりますので、敬語を伴う使い方になるのが普通です。

最後のは、「どうぞ」は「ください」の代わりに使えますか?

「どうぞ」は「何卒(なにとぞ)」「どうか」と同じ意味で、副詞です。
依頼、勧誘、祈願などの際の強調の意味を持ちます。
文の最後の「ください」は動詞の後につきます。
ですから、単独で「どうぞ」 (この場合は、承諾の意味を浮キこともある) と使うことはあっても、文の最後に来ることは、基本的にはありません。

ビジネス上では、「よろしくどうぞ」という言葉が電話などで使われることもありますが、これは、「よろしくどうぞ(お願いします)」(本来は「どうぞよろしくお願いします)」の短縮形だと考えられますし、一般的とは言えません。

分からないところがあったら、質問してください。
---
追記:
最後のは、「どうぞ」は「ください」の代わりに使えますか?

これ、「文章の最後に来る、『ください』と『どうぞ』は置き換え可狽ゥ」という質問だと思って答えましたが、「最後の質問は」の意味だったのでしょうか? :p
Last edited by coco on Wed 11.22.2006 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby naki_mushi » Thu 11.23.2006 9:19 pm

どうもありがとうございました。 :D
naki_mushi

Postby Oyaji » Thu 11.23.2006 10:09 pm

There are cases where 「ください」 and 「どうぞ」 actually mean the opposite, such as:

お茶をどうぞ
"Have some tea."

お茶をください
"Tea, please."

This use of どうぞ is similar to the example coco gave above.

どうぞ、お茶をお飲みください。→ お茶をどうぞ(お飲みください)。→ お茶をどうぞ。

I was once in a Japanese restaurant in America, and a lady at the next table started saying very loudly, "Ocha douzo! Ocha douzo!" It took the Japanese waitress a little while to realize the lady was asking for tea. :D
Oyaji

Postby naki_mushi » Thu 11.23.2006 10:21 pm

Thanks :D More to contemplate on. That story you told was hilarious. Hopefully i Don't forget this fact and go into some Japanese restaurant yelling: 「お刺身をどうぞ」。:D
naki_mushi

Postby coco » Thu 11.23.2006 10:51 pm

あ。なるほど。Oyajiさん。ご説明ありがとうございます。 :)
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)