Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 超 難しい だ (> <#)

超 難しい だ (> <#)

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

超 難しい だ (> <#)

Postby PandanoTake » Mon 11.27.2006 7:55 pm

[center]So my Sensei decided to assign seven kanji, along with twenty-eight of their vocabulary combinations. The kanji are as follows:

And the vocabulary:

野球
写す
活字
歩く
漢字
生活
真ん中
写真 を 取る
初歩
写真
活動
野菜
赤庶喀r
真白
進歩する
活発な
野原
真夜中
黒字
上品な
作品
下品
赤字
商品
食料品
歩道橋
足音
所持品
真剣

Any mnemonic hints?
[/center]
エド より
PandanoTake

RE: 超 難しい だ (> <#)

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 11.27.2006 8:06 pm

First off, don't put だ after i-adjectives

Second, your teacher didn't give you any example sentences for those? Mnemonics, IMO, are a patch over a bad study method. But if you're stuck, then you're stuck.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby PandanoTake » Mon 11.27.2006 8:09 pm

But you need da, otherwise it would be female speech.

And I just need help because we have four days to study all of this and it's so muchhhhh.
エド より
PandanoTake

Postby tanuki » Mon 11.27.2006 8:13 pm

No, you don't need da. Da is ungrammatical after i-adjectives.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby PandanoTake » Mon 11.27.2006 8:18 pm

Oh, okay. I was just taught that if you wanted to use male informal speech, when describing something, you'd use da.

Maybe I'm thinking of -na adjectives? I don't know. But does anyone have any hints or techniques on how to memorize all these kanji and combinations?
エド より
PandanoTake

Postby clay » Mon 11.27.2006 8:25 pm

Here is something. The following have the same meaning in English
赤庶 Red Cross
赤字 be in the red (well, think of seeing the letters 'OWE' in red)
黒字 be in the black (see a black '$')

And except 活字 these are all super useful words. Let that help encourage you to learn them.
clay
Site Admin

Postby tanuki » Mon 11.27.2006 8:25 pm

You can use da after na-adjectives and nouns.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby PandanoTake » Mon 11.27.2006 8:27 pm

Thanks Clay and Tanuki. Clay, do you have a way to remember food? 食料品
エド より
PandanoTake

Postby clay » Mon 11.27.2006 8:40 pm

I think for the first 1000 or so kanji, it is best to learn the main meaning of that kanji. Maybe the next 1000 are better learned as jukugo since often the meanings are more abstract or even only found as a jukugo.

So with these kanji, and 食料品 in particular, look at what each kanji means. 食 means 'to eat' and both 料 and 品 deal with stuff / materials. So even if you didn't know the pronunciation, if you knew the meaning of these kanji individual, this would be an easy one to guess.

So my advice would be to look up the main meaning of all the kanji in your list and see if they 'add up' when combined.

Clay
clay
Site Admin

Postby PandanoTake » Mon 11.27.2006 8:51 pm

Okay, thanks.
エド より
PandanoTake

Postby Schattenjedi » Mon 11.27.2006 9:07 pm

Panda, what grade are you in?
Schattenjedi

Postby skrhgh3b » Mon 11.27.2006 9:08 pm

PandanoTake wrote:
But you need da, otherwise it would be female speech.

no, it isn't. です should follow い-adjectives in polite speech, but だ should never follow い-adjectives in informal speech. for whatever reason, it's a speech error.

but i can't knock the utility of using component analysis and mnemonics when learning new kanji. in my personal experience, i find it extremely useful. if anyone's interested, i recommend reading mary sisk noguchi's columns at kanjiclinic.com. anyway, i bent over backwards to get a copy of de roo's "2001 kanji," so i'll share the wealth.

字 JI letter, ideograph; aza section of a village (indicated on a map) (review & study of the characters = the most important task of the child 子 at home 宀)
写 SHA, utsu-su copy, reproduce, take a photograph; utsu-ru be photographed (give 与 a pattern to cloth 冖)
真 SHIN truth, reality; ma truth; ma- exactly, pure (many eyes 目 on a podium ? see what really goes on)
品 HIN thing, refinement (from Buddhism: "all things are dignified") shina goods (pots & pans 口 in the household)
歩 HO, BU, FU, aru-ku, ayu-mu to walk, step (a few 少 steps done by the feet on the ground 止)
活 KATSU lively (active person with a well oiled ? tongue 舌)
野 YA, no field, plain (virgin land: arable land previous to starting a village 里)

i pretty much copied the format out of the book minus the cross-references. on-readings are capitalized, kun-readings are underlined. i used question marks for components that wouldn't show up.

i also recommed the website http://meiko.web.infoseek.co.jp/. it's for japanese school children, so it uses simple enough japanese.
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪
skrhgh3b

Postby PandanoTake » Mon 11.27.2006 11:04 pm

Thank you~~~
エド より
PandanoTake

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)