Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Say your name in hiragana

Say your name in hiragana

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

RE: Say your name in hiragana

Postby tanuki » Sat 01.13.2007 9:24 pm

Then I was correct in the first post about my name, hehe.. But my last name has two r's... "Garrido"

Good luck getting Japanese to pronounce that right. ;)

By the way, you're from Mexico, right? Aprovecho para darte la bienvenida al foro. Suerte en el aprendizaje. :)
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby bAkasha_NyaNya » Sat 01.13.2007 9:25 pm

Kdar wrote:
She typed it wrong..

This is what she answered.

Then I was correct in the first post about my name, hehe.. But my last name has two r's... "Garrido"

Oh, yeah!! Sorry, sorry! I was being distracted XD (videogames, you know...) Sorry...

bAkasha_NyaNya

Postby bAkasha_NyaNya » Sat 01.13.2007 9:27 pm

tanuki wrote:

Good luck getting Japanese to pronounce that right. ;)

By the way, you're from Mexico, right? Aprovecho para darte la bienvenida al foro. Suerte en el aprendizaje. :)

¡¡Aaah, muchas gracias!! ^^
Daré lo mejor de mí para aprender T^T
bAkasha_NyaNya

Postby richvh » Sat 01.13.2007 9:47 pm

Just because your name has two "r"s in it in Spanish, does not mean that it should be written in katakana with っり. っ denotes a stop of some kind, and there isn't really a stop involved in the Japanese r. And syllable-final r in foreign languages is usually not denoted by an r-row kana, in any case.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby shin1ro » Thu 01.18.2007 12:12 pm

Kdar wrote:
shin1ro wrote:
Kdar wrote:
My name is Armen Dzhagaryan (I don't really know how could I have my last name in Japanese.. lol.. espatially with those Dzh... )

so.... maybe this..

あれめん  Armen. (Areman typed in)
でざがりゃん  Dzhagaryan (Dezagaryan... typed in)

I'm so curious how your name should be pronounced, especially Dzha part!

If you pronounce Armen in American or British English style, I'd suggest to translate it as アーメン instead of アルメン.
As for -ryan part, I think リアン is more common. It's like ハンガリアン for Hungarian.

If you prefer your local language pronunciation....maybe it's hard for you to describe the proper pronunciation and it's hard for me to suggest what's appropriate Japanese.

(If you prefer French pronunciation, maybe I can suggest and Armen may be アルマン).

-shin1ro

yea.. that Dzha part is interesting to me as well.

It can be also written as Dza (in english).. just z is more stronger.

In Japanese there no sounds like "D"..... right?

As hippo mentioned, we have D sound. But unfortunately, Japanese don't have DZA sound. As for DZ sound, modern Japanese only have DZI = JI = DJI (I intend these three are the same sound) that has a vowel I attached but no other DZ sounds.

Anyway, normally when we translate DZ sound into Japanese, we would choose Z or J.

So, if you speak your name with English accent, I'd suggest:
Armen Dzhagaryan as アーメン ザガリアン that sounds like za-ga-ri-a-n.
And the second choice may be アーメン ジャガリアン that souds like ja-ga-ri-a-n.

...If you want to be closer, ヅァガリアン may be another choice but it doesn't seem regular Japanese notation.

If you want to speak R sound in Armen stronger (like in German or French, probably stronger than in American English), you may want to choose アルメン for Armen instead.

-shin1ro
英語がおかしければご指摘ください(日本語も...)。サンキュ〜 ;-)
shin1ro

Native language: Japanese

Postby neo2407 » Thu 01.18.2007 12:28 pm

Ok, I know my first/given name in Japanese, マルタン (Martin, pretty easy) but I'm not sure about my surname, which is Shields (just like the pural of a shield). The "lds" makes it hard (in my opinion).
So any ideas about my surname?

The closest I could get on my own is シールヅゾ, but you guys will have a lot more experiance with this kinda thing.
Wii Friend Code: 0386 9779 0910 4312
Animal Crossing: Wild World Friend Code: 4381-7315-3908
neo2407

Postby shin1ro » Thu 01.18.2007 12:30 pm

leergierig wrote:
Does anyone have an idea how to write "leergierig" in katakana?

- The "ee" rhymes with "ee" in English "deer".
- The "g" is not the English one. It's a guttural sound similar to the "ch" found in "loch" (when pronounced by a Scottish person) or the Spanish "j" found in "jamás".
- The "ie" is simply the equivalent of イ.
- The "i" in "rig" is a schwa.

Which of the following would be more accurate/acceptable:

リエルギルグ
or
リエルヒルフ
or maybe
リエルヒルヒゥ

Is ヒゥ at all possible? I chose it since I've heard some Japanese people pronounce ひ with the slightest hint of friction on the soft palate.

I realise that a perfect transliteration is an impossible task given the limited sounds in Japanese, but can anybody think of a better transliteration?

Ch sound in German is assigned to ハヒホ such as Rudwig ルードウィッヒ or ルートウィッヒ (I think sometimes small ッ is omitted) and van Gogh as ヴァン=ゴッホ. But I never heard of フ. You may notice that the katakana for "ch" sound to choose is depending on the preceding vowel (it's a rule for the special "ch" sound that I believe in German-Japanese sound translation, which isn't found in English-Japanese translation rule).

So, by applying the German-Japanese rule above, I'd suggest:

leergierig リールヒリッヒ

If you speak leer part like in more English way rather than German way, リアヒリッヒ maybe a candidate such that deer or dear is translated as ディア. But it's not consistent with the latter part, I think.

-shin1ro
shin1ro

Postby shin1ro » Thu 01.18.2007 12:39 pm

neo2407 wrote:
Ok, I know my first/given name in Japanese, マルタン (Martin, pretty easy) but I'm not sure about my surname, which is Shields (just like the pural of a shield). The "lds" makes it hard (in my opinion).
So any ideas about my surname?

The closest I could get on my own is シールヅゾ, but you guys will have a lot more experiance with this kinda thing.

マルタン is the way to translate French-Japanese way. It's ok.
But if you speak Martin as in English pronunciation, you may want to choose マーティン.

Shields would be シールズ.

FYI, in Japan Brooke Shields is transcribed as ブルック・シールズ (an actress).

I know you want to choose ヅ katakana for DZ sound, but it's only used in words under the classic Japanese notation still alive in modern Japanese and we never use it for foreign language translation any more.
Actually in modern Japanese, ズ and ヅ are always pronounced like ZU sound. (In classic Japanese, maybe they were distinguished...but I don't know)

-shin1ro
shin1ro

Postby KINGZ » Thu 01.18.2007 1:00 pm

Ill just use my KINGZ but i have to leave out my Z :| きん  yea something like that
KINGZ

Postby leergierig » Thu 01.18.2007 2:34 pm

shin1ro wrote:
Ch sound in German is assigned to ハヒホ such as Rudwig ルードウィッヒ or ルートウィッヒ (I think sometimes small ッ is omitted) and van Gogh as ヴァン=ゴッホ. But I never heard of フ. You may notice that the katakana for "ch" sound to choose is depending on the preceding vowel (it's a rule for the special "ch" sound that I believe in German-Japanese sound translation, which isn't found in English-Japanese translation rule).

So, by applying the German-Japanese rule above, I'd suggest:

leergierig リールヒリッヒ

shin1roさん、ありがとう。 面白いです。 I didn't know of this German-Japanese sound translation rule. I learn something new everyday. :D

If you speak leer part like in more English way rather than German way, リアヒリッヒ maybe a candidate such that deer or dear is translated as ディア. But it's not consistent with the latter part, I think.

And you think absolutely right! :p I only used "deer" to illustrate the "ee" sound as opposed to the "ee" in "beet". The "r" is rolled. Come to think of it, the "ee" sounds almost like いいえ in Japanese. I think I'd settle for リイエルヒリッヒ in the end.

Thanks again
leergierig

Postby neo2407 » Thu 01.18.2007 4:44 pm

shin1ro wrote:
マルタン is the way to translate French-Japanese way. It's ok.
But if you speak Martin as in English pronunciation, you may want to choose マーティン.

What's the pronunciation of マーティン? I've not seen the ティ before, and I can't find it on any katakana chart. To me it looks like "te" with a small "i", although I may be mistaken.

shin1ro wrote:
Shields would be シールズ.

FYI, in Japan Brooke Shields is transcribed as ブルック・シールズ (an actress).

Thanks for that, sounds much better than what I had.
neo2407

Postby doinkies » Thu 01.18.2007 5:02 pm

KINGZ wrote:
Ill just use my KINGZ but i have to leave out my Z :| きん  yea something like that

You could always spell it キングズ...
あなたが好きだと言ったこの街並みが
今日も暮れてゆきます
広い空と遠くの山々 二人で歩いた街
夕日がきれいな街
-森高千里 「渡良瀬橋」
doinkies

Native language: English

Postby richvh » Thu 01.18.2007 5:09 pm

What's the pronunciation of マーティン? I've not seen the ティ before, and I can't find it on any katakana chart. To me it looks like "te" with a small "i", although I may be mistaken.

Where テ is "te" and チ is "chi", ティ is meant to represent "ti".
Last edited by richvh on Thu 01.18.2007 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby neo2407 » Thu 01.18.2007 5:43 pm

Ah, thanks Rich. Does sound a little better than マルタン.
neo2407

Postby shin1ro » Fri 01.19.2007 2:44 pm

richvh wrote:

Where テ is "te" and チ is "chi", ティ is meant to represent "ti".

Yeah exactly.

I forgot to mention but マーチン as well as マーティン is seen frequently in Japanese translation of Martin. But I guess you Martin san feel better hearing マーティン (maatin) rather than マーチン (maachin). ;)

-shin1ro
shin1ro

PreviousNext

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)