Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - American Manga... does it exist??

American Manga... does it exist??

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

Re: American Manga... does it exist??

Postby MMM » Wed 10.01.2008 8:08 pm

It seems I came across a little strong in my first posts, and for that I apologize. I stated things rather matter-of-factly before reading the feel of the boards more, and that seems to have been my (hopefully not) fatal mistake. I think I have a better handle of how things go here. Other boards I sometimes post on are a little more "black and white". I hope there is the opportunity for me to make a second impression.

Yes, I believe publishers should not label comics that aren't from Japan as "manga". I think more accurate terms like "OEL manga" or "International manga" are more accurate. That is my belief. I support publishers like Dark Horse that do not put the manga label on non-Japanese titles, just as they wouldn't put the manhwa label on non-Korean titles.

And in my defense, I wasn't fired up and am not fired up by having people disagree with me. I look forward to a lively discussion, and I appreciate being told that my tone was crossing the line.
めちゃめちゃメディア
Mecha Mecha Media

http://www.mechamechamedia.blogspot.com/
MMM

Native language: English

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 10.01.2008 9:45 pm

MMM wrote:It seems I came across a little strong in my first posts, and for that I apologize. I stated things rather matter-of-factly before reading the feel of the boards more, and that seems to have been my (hopefully not) fatal mistake. I think I have a better handle of how things go here. Other boards I sometimes post on are a little more "black and white". I hope there is the opportunity for me to make a second impression.

You'll find that the people here are rather forgiving to those posters who make a concerted effort to contribute to the board, no matter how inflammatory their first posts may have been. ;) Water under the bridge seems to be the unspoken motto.

Hell, Tony, Vladchick, Mike and myself all started out with rather strong first posts which caused a lot of heartache and grief, and now the first three are respected members of this board. ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby MMM » Wed 10.01.2008 10:05 pm

Harisenbon wrote:You'll find that the people here are rather forgiving to those posters who make a concerted effort to contribute to the board, no matter how inflammatory their first posts may have been. ;) Water under the bridge seems to be the unspoken motto.

Hell, Tony, Vladchick, Mike and myself all started out with rather strong first posts which caused a lot of heartache and grief, and now the first three are respected members of this board. ;)

My only intentions are to contribute, learn and discuss. I'll be progressing taking baby-steps...thanks, Harisenbon.
めちゃめちゃメディア
Mecha Mecha Media

MMM

Postby richvh » Wed 10.01.2008 10:20 pm

Harisenbon wrote:Hell, Tony, Vladchick, Mike and myself all started out with rather strong first posts which caused a lot of heartache and grief, and now the first three are respected members of this board.

Take what Harisenbon said with a grain of salt.
Spoiler:
He's a respected member, too.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby MMM » Wed 10.01.2008 10:27 pm

richvh wrote:
Harisenbon wrote:Hell, Tony, Vladchick, Mike and myself all started out with rather strong first posts which caused a lot of heartache and grief, and now the first three are respected members of this board.

Take what Harisenbon said with a grain of salt.
Spoiler:
He's a respected member, too.

I had already figured as much...thank you, Rich.
めちゃめちゃメディア
Mecha Mecha Media

MMM

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 10.01.2008 10:31 pm

Harisenbon wrote:Hell, Tony, Vladchick, Mike and myself all started out with rather strong first posts which caused a lot of heartache and grief, and now the first three are respected members of this board. ;)

Ooh...you've piqued my curiosity. I'll have to go digging through the archives now. :twisted:
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Sairana » Thu 10.02.2008 12:18 am

becki_kanou wrote:I'll have to go digging through the archives now. :twisted:

Don't forget to properly necro them. ^_^
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby AJBryant » Thu 10.02.2008 9:41 am

What they said. :)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 10.02.2008 9:52 am

Harisenbon wrote:
MMM wrote:It seems I came across a little strong in my first posts, and for that I apologize. I stated things rather matter-of-factly before reading the feel of the boards more, and that seems to have been my (hopefully not) fatal mistake. I think I have a better handle of how things go here. Other boards I sometimes post on are a little more "black and white". I hope there is the opportunity for me to make a second impression.

You'll find that the people here are rather forgiving to those posters who make a concerted effort to contribute to the board, no matter how inflammatory their first posts may have been. ;) Water under the bridge seems to be the unspoken motto.

don't forget my first post. I started off by telling Tony he was off base about Ninja and Samurai.. lol.. although I don't know that I consider myself "highly respected.." :mrgreen:
two_heads_talking

Postby AJBryant » Thu 10.02.2008 8:24 pm

Ah, the good old days. :)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby chikara » Thu 10.02.2008 8:43 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:don't forget my first post. I started off by telling Tony he was off base about Ninja and Samurai.. .... :mrgreen:

:shock:

You guys are arguing with someone who knows more about old Japan than the rest of us put together - he's an academic whose specialty is Japanese history, not someone who learned Japanese history by reading manga and watching anime ....

Thanks Rich :lol:

In my first post I spelt "romaji" incorrectly and Tony-san corrected me :oops:

I'm certainly not "highly respected", probably more "tolerated" :wink:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby ss » Thu 10.02.2008 10:03 pm

Brings back good memories. There were lots of laughter, arguments, conflicts, misunderstanding ...... but those were things which brought us closer to each other. Indeed .... good old days ....
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 10.02.2008 11:28 pm

chikara wrote:I'm certainly not "highly respected", probably more "tolerated" :wink:

Perhaps more like "This close to being beaten with a stick" than tolerated. [/jk] :lol:
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby chikara » Thu 10.02.2008 11:31 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
chikara wrote:I'm certainly not "highly respected", probably more "tolerated" :wink:

Perhaps more like "This close to being beaten with a stick" than tolerated. [/jk] :lol:

A virtual stick of course ;)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby MMM » Fri 10.03.2008 1:47 am

At the very least I was glad I could help recall such wonderful memories...
めちゃめちゃメディア
Mecha Mecha Media

MMM

PreviousNext

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions