Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Anyone like Yaoi/Shounen-Ai?

Anyone like Yaoi/Shounen-Ai?

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

Re: Anyone like Yaoi/Shounen-Ai?

Postby Sairana » Thu 06.26.2008 11:29 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
here is teh definition of phobia..
now. let's look up prejudice ok...

now, with those two in mind, it's pretty easy to see that homophobia is not a prejudice but rather a fear.. of course feel free to read more into it if you'd like.. you will be wrong however.

Hooray for prescriptive English.

Homophobia is a word used by the majority populace to include all who fear AND dislike homosexuality. You can quote latin roots until you're blue in the face, but it won't change the word as it has permeated American society.

Now, who said I called you a homophobe? I said "homophobes and intolerant people". I would assume you ascribe yourself to the second party, as one who does not condone or tolerate homosexuality. Why take issue with the first if it doesn't apply to you anway?

Thanks for shifting the focus of the discussion away from the issue at hand, though.

This is an open, public forum. People have prejudices of all kinds from one side of the world to the other. Some are racial, some are religious, some are nationalist and some are sexual.

Chikara makes jibes with regular frequency at America, American life, and American people. I'm American. Should I throw a hissy fit and ask that he be administratively censored? If homosexual kissing is to be considered "too erotic", then light jibes against my country ought to be considered "too political", because they DO irritate me when I read them, and my national sensibilities are as important as your intolerance of homosexuality. So why don't I? Because he's as free to have his opinion of America and I'm free to have my opinion of him for it.

You can "not condone, tolerate, or accept homosexuality" all you want. You can even pop in the thread and say "I think yaoi/shounen-ai is icky". Here, watch, I'll do it.

I think yaoi/shounen-ai is icky. I don't like to see two men kissing each other. Not my thing. (Hey, I said that about a yaoi thing in another thread!) But I don't have to send the person to the site rules as if they did something wrong. It's against the spirit of the open nature of the forum. Leave your prejudice at the door.

If you'd prefer to take it to the next level, and apply censorship to the forums to rule out potentially offensive topics, then please, submit the suggestion in the appropriate forum where the site administration can review it. Until that time, leave the people alone.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby chikara » Thu 06.26.2008 11:46 pm

Sairana wrote:.... Chikara makes jibes with regular frequency at America, American life, and American people. I'm American. Should I throw a hissy fit and ask that he be administratively censored? .....
:oops:

Actually in this country comedians can be charged with an offence if their "jibes" are deemed to incite racial hatred or ridicule. If you can find evidence that my jibes are not acceptable in the wider community or are not G-Rated then I will happily take my punishment. :|

BTW my jibes at America (USA), American life, and American people come largely from my own experience of living in the USA as well as visiting on numerous business trips. My jibes are always meant to be good humoured but then I do understand that not every one gets the Aussie sense of humour. :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Sairana » Fri 06.27.2008 12:04 am

chikara wrote:My jibes are always meant to be good humoured but then I do understand that not every one gets the Aussie sense of humour. :)

I realize this, and respect it. Even so, they do sometimes irritate me. As I said though, you're free to have your opinions and I don't hold them against you. You're an asset to this site and it really wouldn't be the same without you. ^_^
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby chikara » Fri 06.27.2008 1:16 am

:oops:

If you think I overstep the line at times please let me know even if it is by PM.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby Wakannai » Sun 06.29.2008 12:11 am

Sairana wrote:
I don't like to see two men kissing each other. Not my thing.

That's sorta how I feel. Thinking of two men together makes my skin crawl in about the same way as thinking of my parents or grandparents together. It's offensive, not in a moral way, but in a glandular way.
Wakannai

Postby AJBryant » Sun 06.29.2008 12:21 pm

Wakannai wrote:
Sairana wrote:
I don't like to see two men kissing each other. Not my thing.

That's sorta how I feel. Thinking of two men together makes my skin crawl in about the same way as thinking of my parents or grandparents together. It's offensive, not in a moral way, but in a glandular way.

Two wimmin kissing, however, is just hawt. ;)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby wingedsoul007 » Mon 06.30.2008 7:04 pm

Akiahara wrote:Personally, a lot of manga/anime women annoy the crap out of me... I'd rather watch guys. I enjoy music by men more than women, too, usually... I'm not sexist, it's just a preference. *shrug*

I'm a girl and I really have to agree. It's not women in general, it's just the way we are portrayed in these anime/manga. So annoying. I like YAOI because it's like a constant battle for dominance. And besides, there's just something completely sexy about forbidden love. :wink:
wingedsoul007

Postby Pianogirl123 » Wed 07.02.2008 12:53 am

WHAAAAT?? chikara you are a guy?? I thought of you as a girl because of your indesicive nature. you are always questioning the meaning of things people post in the shout box. so i guess i'm sorry. but its ok.

shounen-ai manga are soo cute ^^ I thought it was just a phase in my interests, but I don't seem to be getting past it. I actually have my own manga i'm working on... I think it is very strange, but then I read some weirder story, and am reassured :mrgreen:
Pianogirl123

Postby Pianogirl123 » Wed 07.02.2008 1:00 am

piepiepie75 wrote:Gravitation was one of the first anime I ever watched, and I still like it today.

But anyways, yeah, shounen-ai/yaoi is awesome. Though, it is annoying to go into Barnes & Nobles, go to the manga section, pick up a yaoi manga and have some 12 year old kid try to warn you that the manga you just picked up is 'gay'. Of course, his mother complained that they shouldn't put those kind of books where kids can see them. Meanwhile, she's taking her 12 year old to the counter to pay for three Love Hina books :roll:.

wow, do you mind if I ever quote you on that?
Pianogirl123

Postby chikara » Wed 07.02.2008 1:03 am

Pianogirl123 wrote:WHAAAAT?? chikara you are a guy?? I thought of you as a girl because of your indesicive nature. you are always questioning the meaning of things people post in the shout box. so i guess i'm sorry. but its ok.........

That's OK I always think of you as an extremely immature little girl. :roll:

Do you know the difference between "indecisive" (you obviously can't spell it) and "questioning" :evil:
chikara

Postby Pianogirl123 » Wed 07.02.2008 1:21 am

chikara wrote:
Pianogirl123 wrote:WHAAAAT?? chikara you are a guy?? I thought of you as a girl because of your indesicive nature. you are always questioning the meaning of things people post in the shout box. so i guess i'm sorry. but its ok.........

That's OK I always think of you as an extremely immature little girl. :roll:

Do you know the difference between "indecisive" (you obviously can't spell it) and "questioning" :evil:

^^ see you just did it again. the reason I use the word indecisive is because it comes with questioning. or rather I may have made a mistake. instead of "indesicive" I think I meant you are to quick to decide, rather than thinking about what someone has said, taking into account some speaking errors they obviously made, and then saying something in return. but you did say something. I think it's pretty funny that your impression of me is "immature," of all things! I totally wasn't expecting that. :o

because I don't think any people who know me would think of me that way. But that's the same it is with you, people taking you for a girl! so I guess we can just admit it's hard to make an accurate judgement of a person's character based on things they said on the internet, and we could all try a little harder :wink:

but I do like yaoi. are you guys purposely trying to change the subject of this thread? because if you do, we can talk about hot guys being together with hot guys more and then you guys will get annoyed and... whatever.
Pianogirl123

Postby chikara » Wed 07.02.2008 1:25 am

Pianogirl123 wrote:...... I think it's pretty funny that your impression of me is "immature," of all things!
...... but I do like yaoi. ....... we can talk about hot guys being together with hot guys more and then you guys will get annoyed and... whatever.

Quod erat demonstrandum :P
chikara

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 07.02.2008 1:46 am

I appreciate the point you're trying to make; but really, QED? Although it may be the case that many (or even most) Yaoi fans are immature, I wouldn't go so far as to say it neccessarily follows.

/Not a fan of Yaoi myself, but I don't see how it's any more or less stupid/immature than other genres

Edited: Unless you were referring to the posting style, in which case you're probably right...
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby chikara » Wed 07.02.2008 2:00 am

becki_kanou wrote:I appreciate the point you're trying to make; but really, QED? Although it may be the case that many (or even most) Yaoi fans are immature, I wouldn't go so far as to say it neccessarily follows.

/Not a fan of Yaoi myself, but I don't see how it's any more or less stupid/immature than other genres

Edited: Unless you were referring to the posting style, in which case you're probably right...

I was referring to the posting style ...... whatever :roll:
chikara

Postby Pianogirl123 » Wed 07.02.2008 2:04 am

becki_kanou wrote:
/Not a fan of Yaoi myself, but ...

so, anime boards, Anyone like Off-Topic/Hopelessly-Lost-Threads? anyway, i don't really care if the way I write online doesn't quite match up with the way I am in real life. Honestly, there's a strange thing that happens to people who talk and don't hear or see eachother. I don't know if anyone's personality can truly be shown, regardless of how serious or meme-drowned the site is.
Pianogirl123

PreviousNext

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions