Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - subbed or dubbed

subbed or dubbed

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

subbed or dubbed

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Tue 11.20.2007 10:25 am

i like the animes with the subtitles on them the dubbing kinda ruins it in my mind.any one agree or disagree
Last edited by guitarplayer7694 on Tue 11.20.2007 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
guitarplayer7694

RE: subed or dubed

Postby Kisshu » Tue 11.20.2007 11:37 am

I dunno about subed or dubed, but i know that i like subbed better <3
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Postby TrashTreasurer » Tue 11.20.2007 3:44 pm

If we're talking about anime, subbed for sure. Mainly because that's the language it was meant to be presented in, and the voice actors can more accurately represent the situation occurring on the screen because they are native to Japan and can better show the social nuances and such. Think about it, other than for awkward humor purposes, would you really want to watch the simpsons, family guy, or other American cartoons in Japanese? They're American cartoons with western humor, and it's only natural that native American english speaking voice actors best depict the situations.
I want a clever signature, but I spent all my time trying to come up with a clever post!
TrashTreasurer

Postby Wakannai » Wed 11.21.2007 12:34 am

If we're talking about anime, subbed for sure. Mainly because that's the language it was meant to be presented in

The artists that make Anime have said that they do not want people to read their shows. They go through a lot of effort drawing every little detail, but no one except a savant can read their shows and enjoy the details as well.

and the voice actors can more accurately represent the situation occurring on the screen because they are native to Japan and can better show the social nuances and such.

also bunk. If you can't understand the voice actors, you have no basis to judge the quality of their performance.

They're American cartoons with western humor, and it's only natural that native American english speaking voice actors best depict the situations.

Which doesn't matter one little bit if you don't understand what they are saying.

There are advantages and disadvantages of each approach. If you don't understand the advantages of the other way, then any argument made is also bunk.
Last edited by Wakannai on Wed 11.21.2007 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wakannai

Postby TrashTreasurer » Wed 11.21.2007 1:46 am

...ouch. The main point I was drawing this all from was chobits, where Hideki's american voiced version repeatedly sounded violently angry as opposed to sexually frustrated, thus failing to convey the true nature of the situation depicted. It was wrong of me to make a blanket statement, but I don't watch anime having absolutely no knowledge of the language. I can't say that I've ever watched an anime staring at the bottom of the screen and missing animation. Do the people who made "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" feel that the visual s taking place on screen were ruined by the need for the watcher to read the dialog? I find myself more distracted by mouth movements that blatantly fail to correlate with the speech spoken, and tones that obviously fail to properly depict the situation, regardless of the words spoken or what language they're in.
I want a clever signature, but I spent all my time trying to come up with a clever post!
TrashTreasurer

Postby succubus » Thu 11.22.2007 2:19 am

I accidently got myself a dubbed version of Samurai Deeper Kyo that I started watching this morning. I have watched the subbed version before. The dubbed one bothers me immeasurably.

It would be fine if the voice actors were actually good, like in Princess Mononoke. But these ones are just awful.

I prefer subbing more, though, because I like being able to pick out the Japanese parts that I can understand. As part of studying I'll often watch something solely in Japanese, and then get the subbed version to see how close I was.
succubus

Postby nabilahforever » Thu 11.22.2007 2:49 am

i think subed is better.sometimes,i watch dramas,movies,animes bla..bla without subed,it can make me not understand what the story is about.so,i prefer subed. :D
Stop talking as if u know me..-YUI
nabilahforever

Postby Dehitay » Thu 11.22.2007 10:40 am

I prefer subtitled. On the usual basis, the Japanese voice actors are better than their English counter parts. English voice actors are used to making things sound realistic which doesn't work with some anime. Japanese actors are used to over emotionalizing lines and things that match the flow of a lot of anime. However, there are definitely some Japanese voice actors which I've hated and some English ones which showed a hell of a lot of skill.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby emanuen » Thu 11.22.2007 10:54 am

Wakannai wrote:

The artists that make Anime have said that they do not want people to read their shows. They go through a lot of effort drawing every little detail, but no one except a savant can read their shows and enjoy the details as well.

I'm a savant ... I can read and observe and listen and understand a little (cuz I've just started studying japanese) ... and not every anime has intricate / impressive drawings ...

I go for subbed .... everything not just anime .... dubbing is for kids who can't read .

^_^
Contrary to what my dog thinks , I do exist ... advice:NEVER CHASE YOUR DOG\'s TAIL !

meet my dog http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/3069007/2/istockphoto_3069007_stupid_dog.jpg
emanuen

Postby Obsessed_Saru » Sun 11.25.2007 1:26 am

Sometimes, rarely, but sometimes, the dub is better than the original voice acting. I usually use the dubbed version if I'm watching something with my family (my dad is dyslexic...dislexic...why would they make it such a hard word to spell? That just seems cruel...) but if I'm watching it alone, or other people who I know can keep up with subtitles, I'll go with them. :D
There are no dumb questions, therefore, they are all of equal stupidity.
Obsessed_Saru

Postby Gaddo » Sun 11.25.2007 12:14 pm

Subbed > Dubbed

/Thread
Gaddo

Postby Gundaetiapo » Sun 11.25.2007 3:30 pm

If I'm watching any kind of foreign film, I always aim to get the subbed rather than dubbed version. The evidence is most Americans don't, since the thought of broadcasted media having subtitles is practically absurd. However, I've heard some countries such as the Netherlands frequently broadcast with subtitles (Katafei?).

I guess I like subtitles since I can pick up on some of the ineffable meaning of the spoken language in addition to reading the translation. There are some Japanese expressions and words that are a lot easier to understand if you hear it rather than read it or hear a translation, for example 「なんということ」 or 「まーな」.

Another thing is that for some anime, it seems the dub script is written so as the voice actors can match the lips of the animation. This is a more constraining to the translation and to the voice acting, me thinks.

Good point.
Last edited by Gundaetiapo on Sun 11.25.2007 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gundaetiapo

Postby Tspoonami » Sun 11.25.2007 8:06 pm

'Subed or Dubed' sounds like the name of some Arabic gameshow, if Subed and Dubed are even Muslim/Arabic names... I mean, they could be.

As for the topic, I prefer subbed to dubbed.
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Postby kanadajin » Sun 11.25.2007 8:09 pm

Dubbing ruins everything, usually the voices are so exagerated and are such an annoyance.
kanadajin

Postby Gundaetiapo » Sun 11.25.2007 8:26 pm

'Subed or Dubed' sounds like the name of some Arabic gameshow, if Subed and Dubed are even Muslim/Arabic names... I mean, they could be.

And yet, no one has piped up about their love for lubed.
Gundaetiapo

Next

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions