Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Drawing Manga

Drawing Manga

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

Drawing Manga

Postby kasutenchan » Wed 09.07.2005 8:44 am

:D:D I love to draw Manga!
If any 1 besides me likes to draw it.
go to bakaneko.com they have tutorials!
Once i learn nihon-go ill put it in my comics....:D
kasutenchan

RE: Drawing Manga

Postby toni » Wed 09.07.2005 3:32 pm

Our arts teacher always complained how girls imitate the manga style and that they should use and develop their own style instead. But I don't see anything wrong with it!
toni

Postby Sacari » Wed 09.07.2005 4:47 pm

I like drawing manga as well ^_^ Although, I don't just draw manga-style.

I found baka neko a while ago, it has some great turorials. Another great tutorial site is PolyKarbon.com

If you'd like to see some of my manga drawings you could visit my art site -> sacari.deviantart.com :D
Sacari

Postby Toriyama » Wed 09.07.2005 6:33 pm

I draw anime and manga. Most people say that these are the same thing, but when someone says that they draw anime, it means that they draw "still" shots, but when someone says that they draw manga, it mean that they actually draw out their own story into comic book form with separate panels. Just felt like giving my 2 cents.

I love making my own manga because anything can happen. Sometimes I just draw and see what turns out. If I don't like how it turns out, I just redo it and then take it from there.

One of the things that distinguishes manga from American comic (besides the art style and order of the panels) is the storylines. American comics have stories about superheroes and corny dialougue or a silly art style that is used to carry out a joke. Manga has very deep, detailed storylines and can be about anything, from a romance story to an action or martial arts storyline. There is also comedy and drama manga. There is such a broad range of stories that can be portrayed through manga. I love manga!B):D
Last edited by Toriyama on Wed 09.07.2005 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toriyama

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 09.07.2005 6:42 pm

Toriyama wrote:
One of the things that distinguishes manga from American comic (besides the art style and order of the panels) is the storylines. American comics have stories about superheroes and corny dialougue or a silly art style that is used to carry out a joke. Manga has very deep, detailed storylines and can be about anything, from a romance story to an action or martial arts storyline. There is also comedy and drama manga. There is such a broad range of stories that can be portrayed through manga. I love manga!B):D

There is manga about anything, just as there are American comics about anything. The amount of *silly art styles used to carry out jokes* in Manga far outweigh that of American comics, in my opinion.

Pick up a good american comic, and you'll see that all american comics aren't the crap you assume they are. Stop drawing the party line.

Good comic writers: Stravinsky, Bendis, Kevin Smith, Adam Warren, etc, etc.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Kates » Fri 09.09.2005 12:42 pm

I agree with both Toriyama and Hari-san. Too many people say that Japanese manga and anime are so much deeper and better than American comics and cartoons... but they must not have read the "Sandman" series, or any comics by Frank Miller, or heard about "Strangers in Paradise"... etc. And c'mon, "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends" is AWESOME. Give American cartoonists some credit here!

However... the most POPULAR stuff in the States is yes... about superheroes... not about your average 15-yr old junior high girl who gets sucked into a different world. (ooooh... WHICH MANGA could THAT be now? There's a million!) And the most popular stuff has been around FOREVER and is still going. But manga do it too--heard of Doraemon? Sazae-san? Atom boy?

Both have their merits.... you just have to look hard for the REALLY good American stuff cuz it doesn't get a lot of general press. (Pick up a "Wizard" magazine.... sheesh) And the really crappy Japanese stuff doesn't even reach our shores (in English, that is...)
Kates

Postby sa » Fri 09.09.2005 5:08 pm

写実的なデッサン(dessin、 a sketch、 a rough drawing)が上手に
描けるようになると、きっとマンガもうまく描けるようになりますよ

中村さんが作ったものすごく良いウェブサイト。日本語だけどね・・・・。
(女性の裸の絵があるけど芸術だからOKだよね・・・);)
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~zm5s-nkmr/index.html

写実的 (しゃじつ-てき、shajitsu-teki)
上手 (じょうず、jyouzu)
描ける (か-ける、ka-keru)
中村さん (なかむら-さん、nakamura-san、Mr.Nakamura)
作った (つく-った、tsuku-tta)
良い (よい、yoi)
ウェブサイト (うぇぶさいと、web site)
女性 (じょせい、jyosei)
裸の絵 (はだか-の-え、hadaka-no-e)
芸術 (げいじゅつ、geijyutsu)
にはウサギがいて、火星にはタコがいるらしいが…
sa

Postby yukisukinomoto » Tue 09.27.2005 9:39 pm

Thank you for the site, I'll go check it out.
yukisukinomoto

Postby kenpachi » Wed 09.28.2005 7:02 pm

sa! Thanks for the site and that post. Very helpful!
Now maybe I can both learn how to read japanese and draw at the same time.
I actually draw lots of comics and would love to have my own series published (I draw in the manga style but I'll never say I draw manga for some reason) but haven't so much lately because now I'm spending more time learning Japanese among other things.
I did plan a while ago to draw a comic in Japanese though and started the first page but it's very hard to write the story myself. (When I go to Japan, I'll kidnap an editor that speaks english) but yea I think that would be a fun way to learn japanese if there were someone to proofread it. I also tried translating my old comics into japanese but again I have the same problem of never knowing if it is right or not. Doesn't hurt to do it though, does it?

I was afraid in my art class that my teacher would look down on me as other people have in the past for drawing in this style but she was actually impressed. It's funny how I've met people that hate manga and think it an insult to like it over american comics (weird) and at the same time met people that hate american comics and love manga. There's both american and japanese comics I really like and at the same time ones I hate. (I like some manhwa too). There's really no reason to shoot down one based on what country it comes. (Although I'll admit I read a lot more manga than american comics now but I also grew up on comics)
kenpachi

Postby Christian_ » Wed 09.28.2005 7:25 pm

:) Edited By Me
Last edited by Christian_ on Sat 10.01.2005 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

Postby Apollo » Wed 10.12.2005 12:48 pm

Thanks for the site! I always try to draw manga, but I am not very successful at it lol. I hope your site works!:D
MY SIG IMAGE WAS OVER 100 PIXELS HIGH AND THE ADMINS SMOTE IT WITH A HAMMER OF SMITING.
Apollo

Postby Kisshu » Wed 10.12.2005 12:58 pm

I luv to draw manga!!! Its sooo sun! Not that I am any good at it tho.... my deviant site is http://k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com... although i think i have it in my signiture... whatever ^______^
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Postby taylorpelto » Mon 10.17.2005 9:25 pm

I have just an itty bitty problem with people who draw manga. Most manga just... LACKS ORIGINALITY. A lot of my friends draw it, but with every person it always looks the exact same. Blue hair, tiny skirts, pencil legs, hugely disproportional eyes, "demons" who's only demonic attributes are kitty ears and a tail, ect...
What I am saying is that people need to stop following these exact guidelines and branch off into their own personal style. I, for example, used to draw manga. I went to all the different websites where they try to tell you how to draw, I read all of the crappy online stories and I drew pretty much EXACT REPLICAS of all of the manga I SAW! Until one day I looked around and realized that everyone else was doing the exact same stuff I was! I have now branched off into my own little style, where I kind of blend my previous anime anatomy knowledge with much more realistic body/facial features. I even have a comic online (drunkduck.com!) and I am really happy with my work because I know this is not the generic crap that everyone else seems so apt to draw.
Please, everyone, dont let your mangas become filled with the mass-produced generic-looking-drawings-about-teenage-highschool-girls-with-kitty-ears-and-random-cute-sidekicks-who-get-sucked-into-alternate-realities ect...
Give your comics your own flair! develop your own style!
taylorpelto

Postby VincentValentine » Mon 10.24.2005 7:32 am

Kasutenchan, you rule! I read all of their tutorials yesterday and the are great!

Arigatou! :D
Last edited by VincentValentine on Mon 10.24.2005 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
VincentValentine

Postby kasutenchan » Thu 11.10.2005 9:41 pm

Hello everyone I found some more sites that might be useful.

howtodrawmanga.com
mangatutorials.com
sailorenergy.net
http://mangapunksai.deviantart.com

These sites have some stuff I found useful. I can't wait 2 start on my Manga called
shadows.
It's going to be so cool!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:):):):):):):):):):):):):)
kasutenchan

Next

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions