Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Buying Japanese manga?

Buying Japanese manga?

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

Buying Japanese manga?

Postby tydin » Sun 03.14.2010 10:26 pm

あいさつ みな! First, I would like to say if this has already be discussed I'm sorry, but I could not find it.
I'm not really a big manga/anime fan, but I think it would be good reading practice. Unfortunately, all the shops I've been to either have ridiculous mark-ups or do not have what I want. Does anyone know of a shop with well-priced manga like Junjou Romantica, or Gravitation?
Hiragana 100%
Katakana 100%
Kanji 68
tydin

Native language: English

Re: Buying Japanese manga?

Postby chikara » Sun 03.14.2010 11:30 pm

Do you mean an online shop or a physical shop?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 03.14.2010 11:56 pm

tydin wrote:あいさつ みな!

:shock:
You looked up "Greetings" in the dictionary, and just picked one at random, didn't you? ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby tydin » Mon 03.15.2010 3:33 pm

I was looking for an online shop.

No, あいさつ was on the vocabulary list for the JLPT and I wanted to use it. :wink:
Hiragana 100%
Katakana 100%
Kanji 68
tydin

Postby Sairana » Mon 03.15.2010 10:41 pm

あいさつ is the noun, as in "a greeting" or "a salutation", not what one says to actually greet someone.

--EDIT: Guess this info was already passed along in another thread, but I'll leave it in for posterity. :P --
You should also be made aware that there's no such thing as JLPT lists anymore as far as I am aware. The JLPT has been revamped and they are not making public specific vocabulary/grammar/kanji for the various levels. There's now 5 levels instead of 4 (numbered N5-N1, easiest to hardest).
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby Hyperworm » Tue 03.16.2010 9:36 am

Sairana wrote:there's no such thing as JLPT lists anymore as far as I am aware.
Damn it. Well, I'm still going to learn the previous JLPT1 list before this year's test >_>

On-topic, I use bk1.jp for manga/book purchases. It has a good variety of shipping options, no markup over the MSRP/RRP or the shipping cost imposed by Japan Post, and decent stock. I usually have stuff shipped by SAL and it gets here (UK) in about 1 week without VAT or customs charges. (The one time I used expensive shipping, I got hit with VAT, though >_>)

YMMV if you're not in the UK.

When you factor in the miserable (gbpjpy) exchange rate and the shipping costs it's still not as cheap as I'd like but... ._.
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Postby DevilishMaiden » Tue 07.12.2011 5:30 pm

Not sure where you live, but Book Off is a good place to go. The store in NYC has a HUGE selection of manga in Japanese (also a nice selection in English) for just $1 (English a bit more, usually around $5-$7). I also went to their store in Torrance, CA - not as big of a selection in Japanese but it was a very small store. Keep in mind though - a lot are used books in good condition.

Unfortunately they don't have any online shop so you'd have to live near a location to have any use of it :( here's a link to their locations:
http://www.bookoffusa.com/?cmd=store#store7
DevilishMaiden

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions