Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Bootlegs & Costly Imports confused.

Bootlegs & Costly Imports confused.

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

Bootlegs & Costly Imports confused.

Postby caladwenaeariel » Thu 02.17.2011 9:12 am

I am going crazy trying to find an anime on DVD. It's called Natsume Yuujinchou, (夏目友人帳), and it's available on crunchyroll with english subtitles (legal or illegal, I am unsure) but nowhere for DVD (not amazon, not rightstuf, not anime corner..?).

I've been looking on CD Japan (a site that sells imports and the site is readable in english) has DVDs straight from Japan (available only in region 2, so you need a region-free DVD player) but they are EXPENSIVE! For 26 episodes, Natsume Yuujinchou costs $662.06 USD. CRAZY RIGHT? I also was looking for Tokyo Mew Mew (Tokyo Power something for the english version) and it came out to something around $500 dollars.

The Japanese version of Amazon ALSO has prices like this.

Everything else I have found is around the low price of 12-26 dollars, and has a funny stamp about the Malaysian government authenticating it. *heehee* BOOTLEG! Anyway, I can't find the REAL one at a low price. I think it doesn't exist unless I get the DVD from CD Japan or another store like that, as an import.

(It helps me appreciate the LOW cost of DVDs from VIZ media and all those companies who sub and dub anime in english for us!)

--->Anyway, have you guys had experience with this trying to find DVDs as authentic imports OR authentic companies that put the anime out in a format for english-speakers? Am I crazy for accepting that it's normal for imports to be $400-600 for a season (26-50-ish episodes)?

(I'm NOT interested in bootlegs, I KNOW how to find them, and I don't want them because I want true quality and to support the anime industry.)
caladwenaeariel

Location: Red Lantern #900, SPACE Sec.9 Orbital-524 [KALOTEI]
Native language: English

Re: Bootlegs & Costly Imports confused.

Postby Hyperworm » Thu 02.17.2011 11:57 am

(Crunchyroll is completely legal.)

Can't really help here I think...

YesAsia (which I use regularly and believe to be reputable) has the whole first season (up to ep 13) for $57, but it's the Region 3 DVD set intended for that market [3 - South East Asia (including Hong Kong, S. Korea and Taiwan)]... still in Japanese though. You'd need a region-free player. The DVD set appears to be legitimate but... I have no expertise on Chinese stuff at all so I really can't say. I wouldn't buy it personally in either case, because I'd want the originals.
Meanwhile they're asking $57 for the Japanese Region 2 Vol.1 containing just two episodes. -_-

HMV.co.jp has Vol.1 for a similarly astounding ¥4,396...

I'd like to build an anime collection like my manga one, but I don't re-watch episodes very often, and $30 for 25 minutes I'm probably only going to watch once is insane. I know they have production costs to recoup, but I'm never going to buy at that price. ._.
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Postby caladwenaeariel » Fri 02.18.2011 12:03 am

(I am so glad crunchyroll is legal, I always thought so until phreadom said something about it, maybe he just isn't sure. Yay crunchyroll!)

Anyway, thank you SO MUCH, I have never used YesAsia and that is a much better price for something that before, I could only find as bootleg DVDs, so I will check it out.

Later edit: Yes, they have it! It's out of stock right now, but I think the site is legit, and I'm happy. Hundreds of dollars for a season versus ONE hundred.... LOL
caladwenaeariel

Postby Infidel » Fri 02.18.2011 5:25 pm

Just to be clear, bootleg and a pirated copy are not the same thing.

A bootleg is a VIDEO recording of a showing. So you can take your video recorder into a concert, a theater, or your friend's house, prop up the camera and enjoy the movie. The movie is recorded complete with audience noises, people walking in front of the picture, crappy sound, and pretty often, the recorder and video player are not in sync, so you have a flickering picture too. And people periodically bump the camera, or just really loud noises can be enough to make the camera shake. And the picture is never centered either, since the bootlegger can't exactly set the camera in the middle of the theater. Joy joy.

Every once in a while a friend will tell me he has X movie, and invite me to watch, then I go, get all psyched up, and then look at the back of someone's head for a whole five minutes before I leave the room. If I haven't been clear. I hate bootlegs.

Pirated copies are copies of the DVD, Blueray, or whatever.

If you like Crunchyroll, support them by making a paid account.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby caladwenaeariel » Fri 02.18.2011 7:30 pm

Haha, oh. Now that I think about it, bootlegs would be different. Thanks for the info.
caladwenaeariel

Postby Maverynthia » Sat 02.19.2011 6:35 am

Infidel wrote:Just to be clear, bootleg and a pirated copy are not the same thing.

A bootleg is a VIDEO recording of a showing.

Err your not quite correct there.

A bootleg is any illegal or illicit product, usually passed off as the real object. Like the old Sonmay CDs for anime programs of old were bootleg CDs of the original CDs.

Pirating refers to the practice of selling such CDs and other copied material. Basically the act of obtaining unauthorized copies of a recording, software, etc.
マヴリンシア::Maverynthia
Maverynthia

Postby Infidel » Sat 02.19.2011 9:26 am

You may be right in a dictionary/legal sense. But I'm talking about if the pirates refer to the illegal goods as bootleg. Usually bootlegs are not passed off as the real thing, but copies may be. The law doesn't differentiate between types of pirated goods, but pirates do. Raws, scanslations, fansubs, rips, bootlegs, etc..

While I was in Greece last year, someone was outside the cybercafe selling movies for $1. All current blockbusters, or very recent. The dvd wasn't even out anywhere so I knew they were mostly bootleg--cant rip something that doesn't exist, but I went ahead and asked about the relatively older titles and he admitted it. My friend went ahead and almost bought the guy out even though I told him bootlegs were crap. I know you're probably thinking why didn't he just go on a pirate site and download it himself, but we live on a ship, so that was no good. Would take too long at the cybercafe, and I was hogging most of the bandwith myself downloading games through steampowered.

...which reminds me, Dungeons is probably available for dl now...
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby phreadom » Sun 02.20.2011 3:54 pm

caladwenaeariel wrote:(I am so glad crunchyroll is legal, I always thought so until phreadom said something about it, maybe he just isn't sure. Yay crunchyroll!)

They used to be technically illegal but a year or two ago they went fully legal. They are well known now for offering anime like Naruto subtitled in English the same day as the Japanese release. (you subscribe to the site to get stuff like that I believe)

I don't use the site myself, so I'm not familiar with the details. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions