Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - QUESTION ON A MANGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUESTION ON A MANGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

QUESTION ON A MANGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Kisshu » Wed 10.05.2005 1:36 pm

Ok.. I just found this manga called Pat Labor which is all in Japanese. If anyone has read it, I am looking for a desciption on the difficulty level. I was hoping that this manga was either all katakana/hiragana or had furigana for the kanji.. anyone know? ?_____?

~~Edit~~

Or anyone know of a website where I could find out???
Last edited by Kisshu on Wed 10.05.2005 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

RE: QUESTION ON A MANGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Daisuke » Wed 10.05.2005 1:45 pm

Don't color your text like that. I don't think i am the only one who does not enjoy reading that.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby sexylexi » Wed 10.05.2005 1:52 pm

especially the yellow :@
Doumo arigatou gozaimasu. Dou itashimashite! :D
sexylexi

Postby Kisshu » Wed 10.05.2005 2:03 pm

OMGOSH! I am sorry! On the other sites that I've done this, people commented on how pretty it looked.... so I thought I would just "spread the love" here.. but apparently you peoples don't like it.. so I changed it. Gomen Nasai!:(
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Postby Hiro » Wed 10.05.2005 2:56 pm

Colours aren't bad when used for emphasis on something; but the flashy rainbow ouchy thing hurts peoples' eyes, lol. No worries. ^.^

Um, as for Pat Labor, I have never heard of it. lol, sorry. :(
Oh my God, I love クラビテーツヨン (Gravitation); and if you don\'t love it too, then you\'re crazy! I mean, just look at Shuichi-kun! I could die! I seriously could! [dies]
Hiro

Postby Infidel » Mon 10.10.2005 12:32 am

Patlabor is old stuff '80s. Haven't seen it in manga form so dunno whether it is at your level or not. But unless you have a good grounding on the grammar already, I'd save it for later.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 10.12.2005 2:09 am

Patlabor! That's what you were talking about! I was wondering what the hell pat Labor was. I was thinking maybe some republican pregnancy manga or something. ;)

The Patlabor movie was done by the same director who did Ghost in the Shell and Innocence, by the way.

Such crazy old school. Unfortunately, I've never read the comic, so I can't offer any advice on it. Do you know who the publisher is? I'll check it out at Book Off next time I go, and tell you the difficulty level.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Infidel » Wed 10.12.2005 2:48 am

I thought it was by Masamune Shiro too, but the Masamune Shiro pages don't mention Patlabor and the Patlabor pages don't mention who the artist is at all.

I will say that if it is by Masamune Shirow, then the technical descriptions give translators fits so whether it uses furigana or not, his crazy and convoluted explainations will put a strain on your abilities if you were good.

Though I don't remember him going all technn/magical with Patlabor the same way as Orion and Ghost in the Shell.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 10.12.2005 3:33 am

Masamune Shiro didn't have anything to do with the Innocense and Ghost in the shell movies, other than providing the source work. Mamoru Oshii was the guy who directed the movies, as well as the Patlabor TV show (1988) and Movie (1990). I have no idea who did the Patlabor comic book.

Masamune Shirow's Japanese is completely insane. Mostly because his obsessiveness with weapon detail is completely insane. I love translating, but I think I might kill somone if I ever had to translate one of his comics. (or at least his footnotes anyhow).

I had heard a theory from a classmate of mine about 5 or so years ago that Masamune Shirow was actually a foreigner living in Japan. I never heard anything more about the theory, true or not.
Last edited by Harisenbon on Wed 10.12.2005 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions