Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Looking for new anime...

Looking for new anime...

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

Looking for new anime...

Postby japanesegryffindor » Fri 05.03.2013 3:23 am

I ran out of anime to watch, and now I don't know what to do with myself when I have free time.
My favorite anime are:

Clannad
Kuroshitsuji
Mirai Nikki
Code Geass
Toradora!
Princess Tutu
Fruits Basket

I have also watched and thoroughly enjoyed:

Tsubasa Chronicles
Cardcaptor Sakura
Naruto
Zero no Tsukaima
Death Note
Lovely Complex
Ouran High School Host Club
Yu-Gi-Oh! (<--the original series that was like 12 episodes long)
Inuyasha
Rozen Maiden
Vampire Knight
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Soul Eater

I tried watching Pandora Hearts and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, as well. While I liked what I saw, I only made it five or six episodes into PH and maybe twenty episodes into FMA:B before I lost interest. I wish I could get back into it because I liked the directions they were heading in, but they took too long to get past the setup :\
Any suggestions on what I should try watching next? :33
japanesegryffindor

Native language: English

Re: Looking for new anime...

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Fri 05.03.2013 4:07 pm

You should check out K, which is a really good 12 episode show from two seasons back, on hulu/funimation. Bleach is a big one that you didn't mention that I think you should give a chance.

You might be better to watch Full Metal Alchemist first rather than Brotherhood ; the original series has better pacing. The Brotherhood series covers the same time period, but with a different view and filling in a lot of side story, and it isn't really paced well as its own series.

There's some promising new stuff out this season on Crunchyroll, but I can't really say for sure as we're only a couple episodes into the season.

I haven't seen everything you have, so I don't know exactly all the styles you like, but anyway, Shin Sekai Yori is a really good science fiction story. Puella Magi Madoka Magica was surprising good, and a lot more darker and more twisted than the magical girl show it seems to be at first glance. Kind of a magical girl show for Serial Experiments Lain fans. (I assume you've seen Serial Experiments Lain. If not, you should do so.)
SomeCallMeChris

Postby phreadom » Fri 05.03.2013 8:19 pm

I highly recommend Hunter x Hunter. I didn't think it would be something I'd like, but once I started watching it I couldn't stop and it's definitely one of my favorites now. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby sampaguita » Fri 05.03.2013 9:24 pm

Have you watched Death Note?
sampaguita

Postby Shiroisan » Fri 05.03.2013 9:40 pm

Monster and Stein's Gate are among my favourites. I've also thoroughly enjoyed the anime you say you enjoy, so perhaps you'll like these two as well.
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby japanesegryffindor » Sat 05.04.2013 12:14 am

SomeCallMeChris wrote:You might be better to watch Full Metal Alchemist first rather than Brotherhood ; the original series has better pacing. The Brotherhood series covers the same time period, but with a different view and filling in a lot of side story, and it isn't really paced well as its own series.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will definitely look into all of them. I tried watching FMA first, but I only got about ten episodes in and literally could not continue--the pacing was tooooo sloooooow for the set up, for my tastes. I was interested, I liked the way it was going, but I just couldn't bring myself to watch another episode. *sigh*

phreadom wrote:I highly recommend Hunter x Hunter.

I'll look into that one, as well! :D

sampaguita wrote:Have you watched Death Note?

Yes, I have--I listed it in the first post :) I really liked it!

Shiroisan wrote:Monster and Stein's Gate are among my favourites. I've also thoroughly enjoyed the anime you say you enjoy, so perhaps you'll like these two as well.

Oh, I think I've heard of Monster? I haven't watched it, though... I'll definitely try both of those!
japanesegryffindor

Postby pauro03 » Fri 05.10.2013 3:27 pm

Judging from those animes that you've posted as your favorite means that you don't dislike love stories.. So I highly recommend, kaichou wa maid-sama.. 会長はメード様がかこい!!!!
ScribeOrigins, MKD 「先生のことが」
pauro03

Native language: NA

Postby japanesegryffindor » Fri 05.10.2013 4:50 pm

pauro03 wrote:Judging from those animes that you've posted as your favorite means that you don't dislike love stories.. So I highly recommend, kaichou wa maid-sama.. 会長はメード様がかこい!!!!

Haha, yeah, I like love stories and things with lots of life lessons or very interesting plots. I'll look into Kaichou wa Maid-sama! I've heard it's pretty good :33
japanesegryffindor

Postby pauro03 » Sat 05.11.2013 1:01 pm

japanesegryffindor wrote:
pauro03 wrote:Judging from those animes that you've posted as your favorite means that you don't dislike love stories.. So I highly recommend, kaichou wa maid-sama.. 会長はメード様がかこい!!!!

Haha, yeah, I like love stories and things with lots of life lessons or very interesting plots. I'll look into Kaichou wa Maid-sama! I've heard it's pretty good :33

One of the best shall I say, though if you want an anime that gives you life lessons or shall we say, "slice of life", then toradora would be nice as well, but you've already done watching it.. xD uuhhhmmm... what else, ore no imouto ga konna ni kawaii wake janai" is as well gooooood, and is so funny... It's not a love story though.. hehehe...
pauro03

Postby japanesegryffindor » Sat 05.11.2013 10:35 pm

pauro03 wrote:
japanesegryffindor wrote:

One of the best shall I say, though if you want an anime that gives you life lessons or shall we say, "slice of life", then toradora would be nice as well, but you've already done watching it.. xD uuhhhmmm... what else, ore no imouto ga konna ni kawaii wake janai" is as well gooooood, and is so funny... It's not a love story though.. hehehe...

I'll look into that one as well ^^ Thank you for the suggestions! :D
japanesegryffindor

Postby pauro03 » Sun 05.12.2013 12:50 pm

Just a little out of the topic, I can suggest as well two veryyyyy good Japanese drama love stories.. Try it as well, "proposal daisukusen" and "boku to star no 99 nichi".. :) Just by any chance, are you a girl? :)
pauro03

Postby japanesegryffindor » Sun 05.12.2013 11:44 pm

pauro03 wrote:Just a little out of the topic, I can suggest as well two veryyyyy good Japanese drama love stories.. Try it as well, "proposal daisukusen" and "boku to star no 99 nichi".. :) Just by any chance, are you a girl? :)

I am, in fact, a girl XD I will look into those dramas! The only dramas I've ever seen are 14sai no Haha and Liar Game, but I really enjoyed them both, especially 14sai no Haha. (Found myself wishing for more fluffy scenes, though... haha.) I now have a long list of dramas and anime I'll need to get around to! XD
japanesegryffindor

Postby pauro03 » Mon 05.13.2013 11:53 am

日本語をわかりますか?あなたは日本人ですか? uuhhmm.. haven't heard those that you've mentioned, what's the story of those two? just a brief though.. xD proposal daisukusen is both funny and sad, I almost cried on some of the scenes because it relates in my life. :( Anyways, japanese animes were really gooooooooooooooooooood, but as of with the dramas; for me there were only few that are amazing...
pauro03

Postby Courbois » Mon 05.13.2013 12:15 pm

I want to point out that the website JapanToday.com posted a topic last friday [2013 may 9], about anime backgrounds as a work of art in themselves. It directs to someone's tumblr website, on which that person posted a lot of anime movies background images, some of them digitally edited to remove the main characters in order to highlight the backgrounds themselves
[ no it isn't mine, really, i do not want to take any credit for somebody else's good work ]

Here are some links:
to the article on japantoday
http://www.japantoday.com/category/entertainment/view/anime-backgrounds-true-works-of-art
directly to that tumblr page:
http://anime-backgrounds.tumblr.com/
It contains the names and other information about highlighted movies. It is certainly worth a visit.

John
Courbois

Skype chat: courbois@outlook.com
Native language: Dutch [ Nederlands ]

Postby japanesegryffindor » Mon 05.13.2013 2:23 pm

pauro03 wrote:日本語をわかりますか?あなたは日本人ですか? uuhhmm.. haven't heard those that you've mentioned, what's the story of those two? just a brief though.. xD proposal daisukusen is both funny and sad, I almost cried on some of the scenes because it relates in my life. :( Anyways, japanese animes were really gooooooooooooooooooood, but as of with the dramas; for me there were only few that are amazing...

はい、すこしわかります。いいえ、アメリカ人ですが、日本語をべんきょうしています。
(don't know if the first sentence was grammatically correct... and I don't know whether I should have used te form or plain masu form for the second sentence.) Um, 14sai no Haha is about a 14 year old who gets pregnant and wants to keep the baby, and how that changes everything. And Liar Game is about this really honest girl who gets sucked into a game of trying to steal money, and a guy who helps her get out of the mess. Very interesting.

Courbois/John, I'll check the links out...
japanesegryffindor

Next

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions