Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - first anime you have watched

first anime you have watched

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

Re: first anime you have watched

Postby miss kuchiki » Wed 09.22.2010 9:52 am

thefirst anime i watched is
dn angel
ididnt love it much :)
miss kuchiki

Native language: english

Postby micahcowan » Wed 09.22.2010 11:22 pm

I think Akira was the first, or nearly so. Unless you want to count videos of "Superbook" when I was a kid (Christian proselytization videos created by Pat Robertson - see wikipedia). I don't.

I didn't like Akira much. There were some other anime I enjoyed quite a bit more that showed at my university, and which I would skip class to watch, but I don't remember any of those (there's one I'd _love_ to get my hands on, but can't find anywhere - involving mechs (what else?), and some prince who pretended to be a completely retarded imbecile, so as to escape destruction by the wicked council or something, who ruled in his stead. He had some super mecha that was hidden underground, and there was some woman with colored hair. I remember her waking up somewhere at the end of the movie, and some children commenting on her hair... I'd love to find this, if somehow these scattered and strange references trigger someone's memory...)

But the first anime I remember watching that really triggered my obsession with them, would have to be Ghost in the Shell. Viewing Princess Mononoke years later certainly didn't hurt either.

Incidentally, I'm one of those weirdos that eventually got into anime through my love of the Japanese language, and not the other way around. :)
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby Namsuke » Thu 10.14.2010 11:09 pm

I don't remember exactly which was the first. But it's definitely one of these 3:
Saint Seiya, Digimon and/or Pokemon...
Namsuke

Native language: Spanish/English

Postby maboroshi638 » Wed 11.02.2011 1:24 pm

My first Anime were Captain Tsubasa and Sailormoon. However, back then I was like 6 years old and I did not know what Anime were and it was part of Sunday mornings kids tv.
The gods envy us. They envy us because we are mortal. Because every moment could be our last. Everything is so much more beautiful because we will someday die. (From "Troja")
maboroshi638

Native language: English and German

Postby Pianogirl123 » Wed 11.02.2011 2:44 pm

aw, how nostalgic! the first anime I watched was sailor moon. My mom rented it for me. I was 6 or 7. I didn't even know what Japan was!
Pianogirl123

Postby Killamanjaro » Thu 11.03.2011 9:28 pm

Azumanga Daioh and Ouran High School Host Club were my first animes. I started watching them at about the same time.
Killamanjaro

Native language: English

Postby Ayesha » Sat 03.10.2012 3:40 am

I watched my first anime when I was five. It was either Cardcaptor Sakura or Dragon Ball Z. I really don't remember but I do remember CCS was my fave and DBZ was my brother's. Yeah, those two were popular those days. I'll never get too old for Magical Girls Anime, I swear.
A young girl, with jaded eyes
Stands, and sings a painful tune
For the world to hear and wonder about
Yet no one knows that it is her
That young girl with those eyes
Those terrible, beautiful eyes
Ayesha

Skype chat: ash11597

Postby kanjiman » Mon 03.12.2012 7:16 pm

My first anime was Eureka Seven. Its still my favorite, and I'm rewatching it for like the bajillionth time lol.

My second, but I haven't finished it, is an old show called Urusei Yatsura.

My third was Birdy the Mighty. Its kind of funny how I came across it because I started learning Japanese, and got some Japanese music to help with that, and found this anime by its 2nd intro song (kiseki by Nirgilis, same guys who did Eureka Seven's 4th OP).
kanjiman

Native language: Eigo :)

Postby corvette57 » Thu 05.10.2012 4:48 pm

My first on was Dragon Ball Z and since then i have seen every episode and collected all twenty-six of the manga just for the sake of nostalgia.
corvette57

Postby shadowcat » Sun 05.13.2012 6:29 am

well, I think the first anime was Fruits Basket, I was like 3 or 4 years old and I watched it in French
when I see episodes of this anime on Youtube or Dailymotion it's like Nostalgia
~~Leave everything behind you and make your dreams come true~~
shadowcat

Skype chat: cold.memories
Native language: arabic, french

Postby SakeIt2Me » Sun 05.13.2012 3:34 pm

I would have been somewhere about 6-8 years old. We got 3 channels on our antenna in my little town, and if we got up at 6 a.m. Sunday, we could watch cartoons. Black and white cartoon Hercules, Rocket Robin Hood, but my favourite, and my very first anime (though I didn't know it was even called that) was Astro Boy. I loved it then and I really love it now that I own all the DVDs with the subtitles. It's so much better in Japanese...
Yes, very much nostalgic.
Maybe I will meet you one day, maybe Wednesday, maybe not...not
SakeIt2Me

Previous

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions