Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 進撃の巨人/Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan

進撃の巨人/Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

進撃の巨人/Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan

Postby Mariya » Thu 11.28.2013 6:06 pm

Really surprised that I couldn't spot a thread on this series! (Forgive me if there is one, I couldn't see it anywhere)

Some say this is one of the most epic in recent years, others say its overrated. Personally, I thought it was a breath of fresh air and seriously awesome to watch! Anyone here seen or read it? What are your thoughts on it? If you haven't seen it yet, do give it a try!

Mariya

Re: 進撃の巨人/Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Fri 11.29.2013 5:55 pm

Well, it -is- overrated, but that's only because people are making all sorts of wild-eyed claims. It is very good, and it does break new ground in art style as well as moving away from anime cliches to an extent. (Although the art of the manga leaves a lot to be desired. The guy's clearly talented when he takes the time to draw a frame nicely, but so many frames are just hasty sketches...)

Well, there is a certain resemblance to mecha anime in some ways. Part of the story is only a small step away from 'mecha suit that can be only piloted by the one with the special heritage'. On the other hand, the world is fairly unique and interesting, and I like the 調査兵団 leaders and the way -they- fight is certainly different.

Although, the physics of everything is pretty absurd ... sometimes it's more believable if you -don't- explain it. Mostly I manage to ignore that though. You don't get a lot of realistic physics from Anime or from Hollywood, so I'm used to it.

In any case, I've watched the anime and I'm reading the manga. I'm about a volume or so past the end of the anime now.
SomeCallMeChris

Native language: English

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions