Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Anime... subs or dubs?

Anime... subs or dubs?

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

RE: Anime... subs or dubs?

Postby Daisuke » Fri 01.06.2006 9:50 am

Subs.. Dubs are annoying. I think anime have to be Japanese, otherwise it is not real anime.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby OT86 » Fri 01.06.2006 10:21 am

It's nice that we're all in agreement here.

Anyone who's ever watched Ghost In The Shell or Rurouni Kenshin OVA's dubbed will know that a bad dub can totally RUIN an awesome anime. The Kenshin OVA's are very much more adult and serious then the TV series, yet the dub contains utterly unconvincing voice acting - which IMO takes away all seriousness.

Actually I bought the Japanese version of the OVAs just so I wouldn't have to suffer the dub (and the case designs are cooler) only to find that it had the crappy Samurai X dub on it!! :(

Personally, I will refuse to watch a dub unless it's done properly. Clearly, ADV, Funimation and Manga Entertainment are incapable of hiring decent voice actors (are they really actors?!) and so they don't deserve my money. Yes, Disney make kids films, but if Disney can employ good voice actors, why can't the Anime dubbers? Every dub I hear seems to represent a massive LACK of time and money spent.

In all honesty, they seem to spend as much time and effort dubbing animes as I do choosing what underwear to put on. In contrast most Japanese voices are well acted (you don't need to understand what they're saying to realise this) and actually give personality to the character they play.

IMO, that's exactly what represents the charm of Japanese Animes
OT86

Postby Kisshu » Fri 01.06.2006 12:35 pm

SUBS! All the way.. they usually kill the anime in the dubs!:@:(
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Postby shikamarufoo » Fri 01.06.2006 2:57 pm

Subs are like 10x way better then dubs. Hearing the Japanese langauge and their tones is way better is better then hearing English with sometimes dull tones, IMO. :)
shikamarufoo

Postby kawada2998 » Fri 01.06.2006 3:56 pm

Subs !B) dubs are way annoying, the voices ! :o
kawada2998

Postby Infidel » Sat 01.07.2006 2:17 am

Considering that it is the dubs that made the anime market worthwile to increase the influx from a trickle to a torrent, I have a healthy love for dubs. After all, when you were a kid and started liking anime, was it subs or dubs you watched? Most probably you started liking anime because of dubs. Thus, dubs are great.

Although I get annoyed with dubs if I watched the subs first. After watching over 150 episodes of Naruto, I was looking forward to seeing some dubs. Then they mangled Naruto's name to narudo. Kakashi sensei became caKAshi, and other sundry mangles.

Still, I love dubs, because without dubs, we really wouldn't have very many subs to watch. And some of the voice actors are actually pretty good. Good enough that if I hadn't watched the sub first, I can thouroughly enjoy them.
Last edited by Infidel on Sat 01.07.2006 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby OT86 » Sat 01.07.2006 6:25 am

Ishnar - a quick question.

Is english your first language or not?

I've not seen one dubbed anime where I would call a single voice-actor "good".

Yes, the first animes I watched were dubbed - but once I'd heard the Japanese versions I realised how bad the english dubs were.

And actually, it's an insult to call them "english" - they're "American".

May I point out that the dubs only turned the "trickle into a torrent" because for some reason, a lot of Americans don't like hearing a foreign language on their TV (god only knows why). Dubs are for people who are too lazy to read subs, don't like the sound of Japanese or just haven't heard how much better the original is.

For example, half the british programs they import have any voiceovers/narrators dubbed in American? Why?!

IF you still disagree with me - watch "Kung Fu Hustle" in Chinese first - and then watch it again with the English dub. Yes, I know it's not an anime - but it's an example of how a rubbish dub ruins a great film.
Last edited by OT86 on Sat 01.07.2006 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
OT86

Postby mandolin » Sat 01.07.2006 7:00 am

I think we can refrain from nationalistic and personal attacks in a thread about something like "Subs or Dubs".... don't you think?

We're all here for the same reason.
mandolin

Postby huskobon » Sat 01.07.2006 7:54 am

Subs, because it's original, and fits the character perfect. Dubs are just annoying, and sometimes they yell in the mic. The only Dubs I had no problem with was Dirty Pair Flash, Slayers, and Those Who Hunt Elves.
huskobon

Postby Infidel » Sat 01.07.2006 8:00 am

OT86 wrote:

May I point out that the dubs only turned the "trickle into a torrent" because for some reason, a lot of Americans don't like hearing a foreign language on their TV (god only knows why). Dubs are for people who are too lazy to read subs, don't like the sound of Japanese or just haven't heard how much better the original is.anime -

Err. So as a kid you prefered to read your tv? Even as an adult I get annoyed reading my screen. Why? Because when my eyes are focused on the bottom of the screen all this great art, particuarly small details, go unnoticed. With dubs I can watch the picture and enjoy all the little details. This isn't lazyness. Plus a lot of the actors really are good and in some cases better than the Japanese voice actors.

The fact is kids who start liking anime without even realizing it is anime grow up into adults that still like anime and then pay for it. Dubs are the foundation of the market. They are not some evil stepdaughter to be cast aside. Also, just because one thing is better than another doesn't mean it still has usefulness.

I like strawberry ice cream but Ben and Jerries New York Super Fudge Chunk is BETTER. Should I deride people who like Strawberry ice cream and treat them as a sub-species just because they prefer an inferior product? I mean really. The only reason people don't eat more New York Super Fudge Chunk is because they are too lazy to go outside and exercise it off, they don't like the sound of poop, or they just havent tasted New York Super Fudge Chunk and just don't know any better.

I also don't know where you got this idea that only Americans watch dubs.
Last edited by Infidel on Sat 01.07.2006 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Wasted » Sat 01.07.2006 8:23 am

I see your point ishnar... a lot of people probably did watch dubs when they were younger... mainly because young kids couldn't be asked to read the subs... and I think the dubs are really aimed for the younger audience... like Naruto's dub considering they take out the blood as put in annoying voice that kids wont mind to much, but people that have watched the sub get annoyed with.

But dub's didn't help subs...the dubs wouldn't of got anywhere if it wasn't for the fansubbing groups starting a good fan base aboard.. and the companies know if it's worth broadcasting it in America, but if there are loads of people on website waiting for the anime to come over... they know they can make money.

And OT86 has a point I watched load of Disney Films... One of my Favourites is Emperor's New Groove and all the voice's fit perfect... shame they can't do it with some anime's, but then I haven't heard it in another language so then it might suck… but then I think Disney budget maybe a bit bigger.
Wasted

Postby Mariya » Sat 01.07.2006 8:31 am

Its thanks to dubs that we have so many ... not using this as an offensive word here, but I don't know what to use instead...wannabes, that want to learn Japanese and are always squealing about anime characters and "kawaii!!-ing". :o

But at the same time, ishnar is right. I grew up watching dubs, and respect the dubbers for making the effort to bring the series to the west.
Mariya

Postby Daisuke » Sat 01.07.2006 12:19 pm

Mariya wrote:
Its thanks to dubs that we have so many ... not using this as an offensive word here, but I don't know what to use instead...wannabes, that want to learn Japanese and are always squealing about anime characters and "kawaii!!-ing". :o

It's very true ! >.< .. There are so many of these, and they will never learn the language if they base the reason to learn it on anime. At least, I find that hard to believe.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby Ashiouji » Sun 01.08.2006 5:35 pm

SUBS! I hate dubs.
1) they change the voices of the characters
2) they change what the characters are supposed to say
3) Japanese sounds way cooler then English, so... SUBS!

But I can't always get subbed Anime, so somtimes dubs are ok.
Last edited by Ashiouji on Sun 01.08.2006 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashiouji

Postby danvx6 » Sun 01.08.2006 10:16 pm

Definitely subs! While dubs can be good, they are ALWAYS worse than the original audio. I avoid watching dubs because the story is often changed, while subs keep things in the original perspective. (I especially like subs that explain "untranslatable" foreign words rather than change them to the closest word that the new language has) The biggest reason that I STARTED learning Japanese (I continue learning for other reasons) is because I wanted to experience the media in the way it was originally intended, not only anime but manga and other media as well.

Anyway, back on the topic of subs vs. dubs:
Yes, subs do sometimes distract from the great art or subtle events, but you get far more emotion from the voices anyway. In a few cases, I have seen both the English and Japanese versions of an anime. At an emotionally powerful scene, in Japanese, I was as close to tears as any fictional event has aver brought me. In English, the same scene, I was thinking "this is CORNY". A BIG difference. All animes that I have seen in both formats, I like the Japanese better, regardless of which I have seen first.
danvx6

PreviousNext

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions