Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Anime... subs or dubs?

Anime... subs or dubs?

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

RE: Anime... subs or dubs?

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 01.11.2006 9:23 pm

Mayonaka wrote:
SUBS! I hate dubs.
1) they change the voices of the characters
2) they change what the characters are supposed to say
3) Japanese sounds way cooler then English, so... SUBS!

This is kind of a strange reasoning.

1) Of course the voices change. It's a different actor. The Japanese dubs of Disney movies are usually very close to the orignal voices, but often time not. It's just not possible to get two people to sound exactly the same when speaking a DIFFERENT language.

2) Well, that's called translation. As to what they are "supposed" to say, translations have to get the approval of the company that created the series, so what you hear in english is what it's "supposed to say". If you really wanted to hear what the REAL meaning was, you would be... watching it in Japanese.

3) That's just silly. Have you even WATCHED Howl's moving castle in Japanese? A travesty that beat the ears of every voice-actor in Japan silly. ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby ko_kun » Thu 01.12.2006 1:07 am

Subs<3 The only exceptions of me ever taking dubs over subs was yyh(yuyu hakusho) and fma(full metal alchemist). Full Metal actually had done well as to getting the main characters' voices to sound very similar to the original Japanese voices, and for yyh I was more used to watching the english version from when I was a kid. (so basically I was more accustomed to it.)

OTHER THAN THAT..I take subs over dubs any day B)
Japanese level 3 student, yoroshiku ;]
ko_kun

Postby ko_kun » Thu 01.12.2006 1:40 am

ishnar wrote:
Considering that it is the dubs that made the anime market worthwile to increase the influx from a trickle to a torrent, I have a healthy love for dubs. After all, when you were a kid and started liking anime, was it subs or dubs you watched? Most probably you started liking anime because of dubs. Thus, dubs are great.

Although I get annoyed with dubs if I watched the subs first. After watching over 150 episodes of Naruto, I was looking forward to seeing some dubs. Then they mangled Naruto's name to narudo. Kakashi sensei became caKAshi, and other sundry mangles.

Still, I love dubs, because without dubs, we really wouldn't have very many subs to watch. And some of the voice actors are actually pretty good. Good enough that if I hadn't watched the sub first, I can thouroughly enjoy them.

I agree with you on the NaruDO thing, I was looking forward to it....and as I expected (which sadly wasnt much to begin with) I was even more disappointed in how the dubbed version of one of my favorite current anime Naruto turned out.

About the comment of without having dubs, we wouldn't have very many subs to watch? What do you mean by that, because as far as I know, after being released to the Japanese audience watching TV, people(like Saiyaman) get the raw video and release them for people (Like Dattebayo) who subs the raw content. Then maybe when the anime gets popular, as Naruto did THEN it becomes dubbed. Also, there are now less groups that sub naruto, not more.(thats also how it generally is when an anime gets licensed -sigh-)

What sucks about an anime being licensed and getting dubbed, not only is the final dubbed product (usually) leaving out alot due to time restrictions or violent content(tv versions, not anime that just gets put on DVDs) but alot of people tend to stop subbing the anime (like how there were plenty of people trying to sub Naruto before the big hype and having it licensed to become dubbed)..Now its down to really just Dattebayo(<3) and also big famouse sites that carry torrents for anime immediately get shutdown once an anime is licensed (like Black Cat) which is kind of sad because alot of people including myself really would like to download and watch these anime. But with the lack of sub support and sometimes a subs group that just looses interest in an anime then doesnt release anything for a long time, to me it becomes frustratingly annoying just to search for it.

An anime getting licensed isnt really bad or anything and I'm not against it, I really just wish that people would still support and sub japanese episodes and release it to the public. (and thanks to those people who still do, much <3)

err...sorry about the double post -_-
Last edited by ko_kun on Thu 01.12.2006 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Japanese level 3 student, yoroshiku ;]
ko_kun

Postby redfoxer » Thu 01.12.2006 8:03 am

Sachi wrote:
Subs. I love trying to see how much I understand in Japanese, and you get so much out of anime more when it's not dubbed! It's good practice with added help, and gives the real full effect.

I agree with sachi :D

I think you do get more out of the subs if you actually understood the language and then didnt needed the subs. not saying im anywhere near enough good to watch a full episode of an anime and understand everything, but i was rewatching some old animes i have with no subs in jp, and i was laughin at the timing of what was said and the what actually occurred on screen at the same time! it was so good to watch anime the way it should be watched (i only understood like a quarter of the episode though :( )

I dont mind dubs but i will preference subs over dubs cos i love how the japanese language sounds (plus im a nifty reader so its not too hard for me).

I dont think one or the other should be abolished though. it was a dub that first got me into anime. and that made me watch the subbed version of anime. True the storyline changed (and sometimes i actually like the dubbed voice acting. its not bad when you get drawn into the storyline of most animes).

there we go. i dont think i made much sense. but go subs. yay!
日本語はとても面白いと思いますよ!私は日本語が大好きです!
redfoxer

Postby Nocturne » Thu 01.12.2006 9:43 pm

Dubbed anime, is at times, irritating. Though it does open up a whirlwind of thoughts about how particular voice actors even get a job in this industry (Lacus Cline's English dub comes to mind...:() But when you don't have the luxury of shelves & shelves of anime - I am glad it's there. I'd rather watch a dub any day then nothing at all. And hey - sometimes - they do a good enough job to make me crack a smile (Things like FMA, Orphen etc.) :)

Just my thoughts anyway...;)
Nocturne

Postby tsan_aznboi » Thu 01.12.2006 10:33 pm

Dubs are really annoying, no doubt about it. It should be eliminated.
Subs are okay :Dbut, its great without dubs and subs.:p
tsan_aznboi

Postby punkgrl326 » Mon 03.06.2006 9:03 pm

Mayonaka wrote:
SUBS! I hate dubs.
1) they change the voices of the characters
2) they change what the characters are supposed to say
3) Japanese sounds way cooler then English, so... SUBS!

But I can't always get subbed Anime, so somtimes dubs are ok.

It's really annoying how people automatically put down dubs before even giving them a chance. Sure the subbed version is definetely better, but since the dub is intended to introduce an anime to a wider audience, it will probably give kids a chance to see how great anime really is and might even compell them to watch the subbed version and see how much better it is compared to the dub. This might end up leading to other things, like an interest in the culture behind the anime. Honestly, dubs aren't as bad as ppl think they are. Heck, if it wasn't for dubs I might still be wasting my free time reading old newspapers :D. Oh yeah, and even though a certain japanese voice might sound cool to an english speaker, it might actually sound annoying as hell to a japanese speaker. I know this b/c my friend's japanese and she thinks Inoue Orihime from Bleach sounds awful. :p
punkgrl326

Postby Shuji » Mon 03.06.2006 9:05 pm

WacKostRacKo wrote:
subs always, its fun to read the subs and listen to the audio and try to translate it yourself...

well to me anyways..:p

That's wat I always do. Besides... I dispise Aerican voice acting *bleh*
"Love taught me what it means to cherish someone..."
Shuji

Postby kanadajin » Mon 03.06.2006 9:59 pm

subs!! I'm not even sure what dubs are -_-" I think i know but I'm not sure.
Last edited by kanadajin on Mon 03.06.2006 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kanadajin

Postby kohana » Mon 03.06.2006 10:27 pm

Subs. The only time I have ever watched dubs is when I was curious to hear the voices, and I postively despised them so I've never watched dubs since then... I think the main reason I hate dubs is because English people for some reason think that if they pronounce names and things in a Japanese accent, it'll sound weird. So then they say it with an English accent, and it sounds worse...
Well, no, I take that back. I watched the English-dubbed version of Fruits Basket, and I actually think they did quite a good job on that. :D (I say that after watching the Japanese verison.) But that was probably the only one.
kohana

Postby punkgrl326 » Mon 03.06.2006 11:33 pm

kanadajin wrote:
subs!! I'm not even sure what dubs are -_-" I think i know but I'm not sure.

Dubs are anime with replaced voices in a different language. In other words, the english ones we see on CN in the states and on YTV in Canada. Just lettin ya know....
punkgrl326

Postby kanadajin » Mon 03.06.2006 11:35 pm

Oh Okay! Thank you "Punkgrl326" Yea by reading what every one was saying.. I thought thats What they were.. Well I still say Subs! :D
kanadajin

Postby Oracle » Tue 03.07.2006 12:45 am

Anime... subs or dubs?

Neither!
Oracle

Native language: English

Postby CrazzyWarrior » Tue 03.07.2006 1:21 am

subs...subs...subs...subs...subs...subs...subs...subs...subs...subs...

yea that says it, dubs suck from personal experiences.
私の名前はセスです。
Watashi no namae ha seth desu.
[英訳] The ko (accumulated wisdom) of an old man is more precious than the ko (shell) of a tortoise.
「甲」と「劫」が同音であるところからできたことわざ。「劫」は極めて長い時間のことをいう。年長者の経験は尊ぶべきである。
CrazzyWarrior

Postby alex_2096 » Tue 03.07.2006 12:26 pm

its obviously gotta be subs!! but i hope to get to a stage like oracle and need neither
alex_2096

PreviousNext

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions