Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Neon Genesis Evangelion

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby datdo » Wed 08.23.2006 9:58 pm

I haven't seen a recent thread on this so I decided to create one. I wanted to know what people thought of the series and movies... oh and what theories about the symbolism behind the series.
datdo

RE: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby Hatori » Wed 08.23.2006 10:15 pm

i love NGE!!! it's so awesome!! my favorite character is Mr. Kaji, who i think was killed by Misato. Misato just has... issues... but i'm not quite sure WHO really killed him. as i'd say with all of my friends:
"Mr. Kaji, He Tells Us What to Buy!" you wouldn't get it. it's a joke that i made up! hahhahahahasdklfjaslifjdaskljds.

i've read up the 10th manga book in this series. i like how it shows Shinji's point of veiw better, and i was laughing to said when Kaoru was try to make out with him XDD. but i don't go for Yaoi/Yuri and Shounen/Shoujo-Ai, but that was FUN-E.
for some reason, my friends and i are so weird, we made up a song about how gay Kaoru is, and changed the theme songs lyrics. if anybody would like to hear sometime, just ask. i don't feel like typing them right now. lol. anyways, the Kaoru being gay song, is not really offending to anybody who's gay. so yeah. it's nothing bad. :D
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Postby datdo » Wed 08.23.2006 10:22 pm

wow...that was more than i expected...yeah but is Kaoru really gay? Some ppl say he isn't cuz hes not really human and you also can't really be sure if hes male or female as with many other anime characters.
My friends like to discuss whether Rei harbored any feeling toward Shinji. It could just be motherly love cuz shes basically made with his mom's soul but it also could be more...
datdo

Postby neo2407 » Thu 08.24.2006 1:45 pm

I like NGE aswell, but when I watch the episodes with the flashing words like "Death" and all that, it makes me depressed, same with when i watch the end of NGE: End Of Evangelion. It's kinda annoying because of it I have to skip those episodes of stop End of Evangelion after the fighting.
neo2407

Postby Shigeru » Thu 08.24.2006 1:55 pm

Is one of my favorites series of all times, Mr. Kaji is one of my favorite to! But I never think what Misato can be the killer, I think what it was the informat women, but I don't know B)
All the NGE history is full of small very interest details, you never get tired of watch o read this history. :p
Shigeru

Postby Smooth » Thu 08.24.2006 2:27 pm

Do you all know the live action movie of NGE is coming out soon? Like in the next 2 years?

上の写真をクリクして
Smooth

Postby Sachi » Thu 08.24.2006 2:45 pm

Obviously, I'm a fan ;) But NGE just has so much in it, you really need to watch the series over more than once. And it still never gets old, because you realized how many details you missed, etc.

As for the symbolism, I'm not sure what I think about it.
Sachi

Postby neo2407 » Thu 08.24.2006 3:06 pm

Sachi wrote:
As for the symbolism, I'm not sure what I think about it.

BTW before I start I know the rules say no religious disscusion but I need to mention a few things to explain the possible symbolism of NGE.

I think it's something to do with christanity (or one of the off-shot religions). I mean look at the series, the Angels, Evangelion (Evangelical), the crucifixion of EVA unit 1 in NGE: End of Evangelion, and Adam.

It's been a little while since I saw the whole series so I can remember everything.

And I'm sorry for mentioning religion but I kind of had to.
neo2407

Postby Shigeru » Thu 08.24.2006 9:31 pm

I think what your are right neo2407, for explain some points of NGE the reference to religion are indispensable. :)
Shigeru

Postby Smooth » Fri 08.25.2006 5:33 pm

Well, if you go to Wikipedia they have a very well written analysis on ALL the religious symbolism going on. And I do mean ALL. It is a very good read if you like the series.

上の写真をクリクして
Smooth

Postby Christian_ » Fri 08.25.2006 5:48 pm

neo2407 wrote:
Sachi wrote:

And I'm sorry for mentioning religion but I kind of had to.

I don't think anyone cares about if you mention religion, as long as it doesn't start a whole thread where everyone is flaming, like we had.
Christian_

Postby zengargoyle » Fri 08.25.2006 5:55 pm

just remember:

"There are a lot of giant robot shows in Japan, and we did want our story to have a religious theme to help distinguish us. Because Christianity is an uncommon religion in Japan we thought it would be mysterious. None of the staff who worked on Eva are Christians. There is no actual Christian meaning to the show, we just thought the visual symbols of Christianity look cool. If we had known the show would get distributed in the US and Europe we might have rethought that choice." Kazuya Tsurumaki
zengargoyle

Postby datdo » Fri 08.25.2006 7:27 pm

aw. u ruined it...jk i've seen that quote many times before. its still fun to think about though
datdo

Postby zengargoyle » Fri 08.25.2006 7:57 pm

and if you're into this sort of thing... there's actually a very good Hentai doujin series out there that does a sort of alternate universe Evangelion take on things... minus the H part, it's a very good story. seriously. :) set you're google to 'Re-Take', there are 3 books out at the moment and the 4th is supposed to be coming soon.... ( ´_ゝ`)
zengargoyle

Postby Hatori » Fri 08.25.2006 11:02 pm

NGE has so much to it... i've like watched my boxset like 3 times, and i still don't understand. i actually got more confused. XDD

well, i feel like posting my Kaoru's "Gay" Song... it's funny.

"He's Gay"
Written by Hatori and Cobra (just our member names on this website)

He's Gay, He's Gay, He Swings Both Ways
Who Can be so hot 'n' gay in an anime?
He Doesn't go for Asuka, and for Rei
Shinji stay away from "Mr.Gay"
He can pilot a PINK Eva, without a manly color
HE'S GAAAAAAAY!

yeah, that was corny... but, it's funny if you actually listen to the recording of it. and it's kinda saying Kaoru is bi, too. :-P anyways, Kaoru is supposedly piloting a black eva.. but, the pink is funny. hahaha.

has anybody here read Angelic days?? IT'S FREAKIN' SCARY! i'm like "WTF?! What's up with everything happy? oh, when was that dude alive, anyways??" lol.

NGE has a lot religious meaning to it. i was like about to burst out crying in the middle of the 2nd movie, but then my disk was being retarded. and i never got to finish it. anyways, my friend, Yuki_Sohma207, made a copy of it for me. so it's not the real DVD... i have to finish watching it with Cobra... :( :( :( so sad.

what does everybody think about Asuka in the 2nd movie?? my friends all say that she's a b**ch, but i've always liked her. even if she really is one, i've always felt bad for her, and she's been like my favorite female character. [small]i don't like Rei...[/small]
but, i actually kind of think that Asuka should feel that her mother has been protecting her and stuff.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Next

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions