Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Manga Artists

Manga Artists

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

Manga Artists

Postby Akiru » Mon 02.05.2007 6:52 pm

[center]Alright people, heres the rules:
1. Helpful criticism. ( that means no "that picture sucks." " you need to do some work on the- ____ -part" is fine.)

2. If someone asks what an idea is for a comic, don't be afraid to speak your mind! Even if the idea is wierd, we want to hear it, so anything you say goes.

3. This is the sweetest thread on the website, respect it! That means no talk aboutt drugs, sex, violence (except for comic ideas) and NO CUSSING!!!!
TALK MANGA!
-Akiru Hakate B)
[/center]
Last edited by Akiru on Mon 02.05.2007 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Akiru hakate*
Akiru

RE: Manga Artists

Postby Akiru » Mon 02.05.2007 6:55 pm

[center]By the way, I'm open for any questions,
All artists or artists in the making may have my advise on Manga Titles, comic plots, character names, geography manga, tips on drawing, and or anyhting else!!! B)
-Akiru Hakate
[/center]
Last edited by Akiru on Mon 02.05.2007 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Akiru hakate*
Akiru

Postby Sapphiregirl » Mon 02.05.2007 8:40 pm

Hi!
What are some materials that would make high quality manga? (Any special paper, ink, etc?)

Also, do you know of any reference site (other than polykarbon tutorials) for proportions and muscle placement?

Thanks ahead of time! :D

sapphiregirl
Sapphiregirl

Postby Kisshu » Mon 02.05.2007 11:10 pm

Does it specifically have to be for manga or can you ask for criticism on single pictures?

Sapphire Girl

If you want to get started using manuel tools, I would suggest a "How to Draw Manga" series book that comes along with some of the basic tools (I have one, and it is awesome) it comes with the manga paper, inks, rules, and screen tones. If you want to buy it seperately though, i would be sure to search for good brands. If you are looking to make a manga, you will need professional paper, most likely in A4 size (B4 is for professionals) You will also need to spend some mony on inks and pens with good nibs. Or you could go onto the copic website and buy some multiliners. I have both and I think the multiliners work really well. One of the most important things you need, however, would be screen tones. These things are massively expense... usually between $8-10 for a 6x4 sheet. But they are necessary if you want a comic that people will look at. If you don't want to spend that much money...

I would buy Manga Studio Debut perhaps? It is an awesome computer-based program on which you can draw your manga in manga-sized paper, ink it using all the japanese nibs, make panels and word bubbles as well as type, and it also has over 1800 screen tones. It costs $50 but it is well worth the price. If you want to go all out, you could buy the full version for $300 which has 3,000 screentones lus some more extras. I have this as well, and it is my favorite cuz I payed for everything all at once instead of spending a couple more hundred on other things. You can import perviously draw pictures on there, but you will need a scanner. You can also draw directly onto it. If you are good with a mouse, that that shoukld be no problem. However, I use a Wacom tablet which is basically like a drawing tablet with a pen that acts like a mouse for your computer. I got mine for $130 off ebay, although at full price, they can be well over $300.

Colors are also something to consider. For professional looks, you can get markers sich as copic. Prismacolors are also pretty good and a lot easier to get as well as a lot cheaper. However, they do't have as many colors and dry out more quickly but they still work well. I mainly do all my coloring on the computer so I don't have to buy supplies. I use Photoshop CS. Of course you need a scanner. If you are looking for something cheaper than Photoshop, I would shop around, although Photoshop is top of the line. I was lucky to get mine for Christmas lol... you can get one for cheaper than list price on Ebay if you shop around

I think I have overloaded you, but maybe I was of somehelp...... manga requires lots of tools.
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Postby keatonatron » Mon 02.05.2007 11:52 pm

Moved to Anime and Manga forum.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby tanuki » Tue 02.06.2007 1:20 pm

Isn't this what the "!!!Cool Manga!!!" thread is for? Why have two threads dedicated to the same thing?
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Sapphiregirl » Tue 02.06.2007 2:12 pm

Thanks a lot kisshu!

I really appreciate your help,
shinpaishinaide,
it is not too much information :D

Well, i have to go. I don't know how long i can get away with using the school computer (using my username.....)

bye bye
Sapphiregirl

Postby Kisshu » Tue 02.06.2007 5:51 pm

No prob. Btw Tanaku.... this thread is for criticism... the other one isn't
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Postby tanuki » Tue 02.06.2007 7:13 pm

I see. One criticism: it is tanuki. ;)