Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Saddest Anime Ever?

Saddest Anime Ever?

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

RE: Saddest Anime Ever?

Postby zengargoyle » Thu 05.03.2007 11:41 pm

saddest anime...

Cowboy Bebop.
Spoiler:
Spike Dies...

Inuyasha.
Spoiler:
after 30 or so episodes it turns into a never ending story that goes nowhere for the next 100 episodes... :)
zengargoyle

Postby kohyin » Fri 05.04.2007 2:36 am

蛍の墓の悲しさは、ただならぬものがあると思います。一児の母として、あの戦乱のさなかに子供たちを後に残して逝ってしまった母親の気持ちを思うと、胸が引き裂かれる思いでした。あれほど切ない物語は、LAXのMuseum of the Toleranceで見聞きした物に匹敵するところがあります。 いざとなると我が身大事で かなり残酷になってしまう人間の性をあからさまに見せつけらたアニメでした。
緑@光陰
http://www.kohyin.com
署l署F、皆仲良くしましょう。
kohyin

Postby Takeo Saeki » Fri 05.04.2007 4:30 am

SirFirestorm wrote:
Edit: If you put yourself in Grave of the fireflies, having an atomic bomb dropped on your town, everyone you know, your parents and neighbors killed, and then watching your little sister starve to death, to me, that would probably do more than "bum me out", I *might* even cry, but maybe thats just me.

Thanks for all the spoilers. I haven't seen that one yet. :@
Takeo Saeki

Postby Valatunda » Fri 05.04.2007 5:30 am

Takeo Saeki wrote:
SirFirestorm wrote:
Edit: If you put yourself in Grave of the fireflies, having an atomic bomb dropped on your town, everyone you know, your parents and neighbors killed, and then watching your little sister starve to death, to me, that would probably do more than "bum me out", I *might* even cry, but maybe thats just me.

Thanks for all the spoilers. I haven't seen that one yet. :@

Do not worry, there is a bit of false information in SirFirestorm's quote.

Myself, the saddest anime I have seen is 火垂るの墓。Whether that can be considered the saddest anime ever, I do not know.
Valatunda

Native language: 英語

Postby SirFirestorm » Fri 05.04.2007 8:13 am

i made the whole thing up! thats not how it goes at all~! =( sorry =(

but seriously, I think that is more the setting of the story, it doesnt spoil much for the plot, the good parts are still to come. You can still watch it, i hope.
SirFirestorm

Postby NocturnalOcean » Fri 05.04.2007 8:27 am

Don't know about the saddest, but I would like to mention the movie "Beyound the clouds, the promised place" and the serie "Hanbun no tsuki ga noboru sora" as representatives of some sad anime.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby Silvanoshei » Fri 05.04.2007 10:04 am

Well, I just saw Saikano, (don't ya love the short 12 ep animes?), and I liked the violent side of it, kind of reminded me of elfin lied... however, it goes a little to far with the emotional rollercoaster. It seemed like every episode Chise would be crying, and it losses its effect. I hate to be overly critical too, so don't think I'm out to hammer this down just b/c it doesn't own up to Air TV...

They could of done so much more with it, they made sad parts humorous, for instants, the ending, (which was hyped up even by the freesub makers note'ing to end the series at 10 if you want a happy ending), made her arm fall off when they're about to make love lol... I laughed pretty good at that. *Spoiler ahead* All of the characters surrounding Shuji were so outer-connected, that when they all died, it didn't fit in too well. The focus on Shuji and Chise was overly done, and the time they were apart, they ended up alone and pushed out supporting cast. Also the story was... well... what was it? There's a war, nothing behind it, just bombs, and on top of all this is the world ending.

The reason I give it such a harsh review is because it could of done so much better, so much potential wasted! They just had no detail, no character development on the sides, it was really a disconnected type of anime. Gomen-nasai, please don't take my review personal or offensively. I liked Chise's personality, probably because it's about the only one we ever see. :P

Air TV still leads!

Can someone translate kohyin post on here? Arigatou!

NocturnalOcean wrote:
Don't know about the saddest, but I would like to mention the movie "Beyound the clouds, the promised place" and the serie "Hanbun no tsuki ga noboru sora" as representatives of some sad anime.

I haven't seen either of those, might take me awhile to watch both lol, ore wa ganbatte^^ arigatou nocturnalocean
Last edited by Silvanoshei on Fri 05.04.2007 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hiragana: 46/46
Katakana: 5/46
Silvanoshei

Postby kawaiicat » Fri 05.04.2007 2:01 pm

in what context are you using "saddest". one that makes you cry, or one thats soo poorly made it makes you cry? :)
"when you love something set it free, if it comes back it's yours if it doesn't it wasn't meant to be"
kawaiicat

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 05.04.2007 4:08 pm

well with crying being the equivalent of both, does it matter?
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Kisshu » Fri 05.04.2007 5:29 pm

LAWL... me thinks ill join the crowd... GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES! XD
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Postby mamba » Fri 05.04.2007 9:56 pm

I dunno what ur talking about but I also vote for Grave of Fireflies. I watched that about a year ago when i was a senior in highschool. Im also that kind of shy guy, talk to only super close friends, almost anti social, nonemotional dude thats just sits in class, works, leaves school. When i finished watching, i was crying like crazy, i mean i havent watching anything ever that made me jump to my bed and start crying in the pillow.

But since everyone does vote for it (thus wishing to exclude it) i would vote for the whole Evangelion series, movies also. Also if another thread comes up with best action, best story, best etc... Evangelion
mamba

Postby flammable hippo » Fri 05.04.2007 11:27 pm

I guess I'll be the 12th or something person to say that Grave of the Fireflies was the saddest anime I've ever seen. I was ready to cry but I did a good job of controlling myself. Although it wasn't the saddest thing I've ever seen and I felt it had too abrubt of an ending. I get really empathetic with the characters in movies, tv etc.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Native language: English

Postby zengargoyle » Fri 05.04.2007 11:47 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
well with crying being the equivalent of both, does it matter?

meh, tears can come from many emotions....

i can get teary eyed from something like Aria, or even a good episode of one of the various Star Trek episodes... there are also happy tears.
zengargoyle

Postby Takeo Saeki » Sat 05.05.2007 12:00 am

I've never had tears of happiness, even at my happiest moments. I sometimes wonder if that's a myth. : /
Takeo Saeki

Postby Seapony » Sat 05.05.2007 6:32 am

Well, I've never seen Grave of the Fireflies, so that doesn't qualify as the saddest in my book...yet. When I was a kid (dating myself here) there were two anime movies made based on a little unicorn called (aptly enough) Unico.

I always thought it was sad that in the end, he always ended up alone and could never stay with the friends he made. Sort of ironic considering his special ability was to create harmony or joy or something like that. So that one gets my vote.

:)
Seapony

PreviousNext

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions