Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Any requests on erm... Kid-friendly anime?

Any requests on erm... Kid-friendly anime?

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

RE: Any requests on erm... Kid-friendly anime?

Postby zengargoyle » Sat 06.09.2007 2:38 pm

Gundaetiapo wrote:
Pom Poko

Her mom would flip.

yeah, i guess Pom Poko is a bit violent... but it's like Over The Hedge violence, human expansion encroaching on the world of the wild animals... there's a bit of conflict bound to happen.
zengargoyle

Postby Kashin » Sat 06.09.2007 2:49 pm

Gundaetiapo wrote:
Daa daa daa is a very charming kid's anime. There's episodes on YouTube.

Pom Poko

Her mom would flip.

Hmm. I often forget that they're actually 狸 not just friendly raccons. Did you know that Pom Poko is rated R on the Wal-Mart online store?

Yeah i'd stick with the Miyazaki Ghibli flims. They usually always star a young girl as a heroine and always have alot of redeeming value. And you wont have to worry about scenes of tanuki attacking humans with their massive genitals.
Last edited by Kashin on Sat 06.09.2007 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What good is a farmer who tills the soil, but forgets the seed?

~落ち葉は風を恨まない~
Kashin

Postby tanuki » Sat 06.09.2007 3:40 pm

Kashin wrote:
Hmm. I often forget that they're actually 狸 not just friendly raccons.

狸 (tanuki) are raccoon dogs, not raccoons. And real-world tanuki are quite harmless, or so I've heard. ;)
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby AJBryant » Sat 06.09.2007 6:46 pm

And they love those caffeine-laced energy drinks...
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby yukamina » Sun 06.10.2007 12:47 am

witega wrote:
'Fruits Basket' was created specifically for junior hight girls and should be perfect for you and your sister. In fact, having watched it with my daughters when they were 11 and 13, I would highly recommend that you get your mom to watch it with you.

I'll toss in another vote for anything Ghibli.

A few other anime made for the junior high girl audience and available here which should pass any 'sex and violence' standards of your mom's would be Super Gals, Pretear, Princes Tutu, Marmalade Boy, Petite Princess Yucie and Cardcaptor Sakura (the uncut version, not the chopped-up dub which makes little sense). All of those were big favorites with my daughters.

I'm watching Princess Tutu right now, and it's full of nudity! Harmless, but I wouldn't recommend it to a 10 year old with an over protective mom.
I think Ouran host club was pretty suggesting(the twincest might not go over too well)

Hmmm...maybe Haibane Renmei, Hoshi no Koe, or Pita Ten...
yukamina

Postby Kashin » Sun 06.10.2007 1:46 am

tanuki wrote:
狸 (tanuki) are raccoon dogs, not raccoons. And real-world tanuki are quite harmless, or so I've heard. ;)

I'm very familiar with tanuki (I have a wooden figure of one hanging from my rear-view mirror and I wrote a story about one in my creative writing class). Just in the american verisons and descriptions of "Pom Poko" they're always described as raccoons, and you often forget they are tanuki until you see them shape-shift and attack police with their balls. :D
I wonder if anyone has domesticated a tanuki...
What good is a farmer who tills the soil, but forgets the seed?

~落ち葉は風を恨まない~
Kashin

Postby NocturnalOcean » Mon 06.11.2007 5:50 am

I really agree with Aria, it is one of my favourite shows, I recently finished reading all the manga of it as well. It is just a amazing show, emphasizing the small joys of life.
As for another great show, I recommend Lamune, it is a great show, slow paced, and also showing the joys of life and friendship/love. Should be very well suitable for your age.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby Hatori » Thu 06.14.2007 9:26 pm

Anything created by Miyazaki is kid friendly.
There's also Digi Charat which is great for the kiddies because it's cute and funny.
An anime that's in Japanese and the manga is currently being translated is Sugar Sugar Rune which you can probably find on YouTube.
The Prince of Tennis is on Cartoon Network with a new episode every Saturday night. Also there's Sister Princess in a boxset probably at your local Best Buy and there's Final Fantasy: Unlimited which is rated PG with non-blood violence (also in a boxset).
Full Moon O Sagashite may be good but it has references to death and dying due to the plot, but it's basically kid friendly otherwise.
Chance Pop Session is great too. It's just a bunch of girls growing up in their late teenage, early twenties (not sure on ages lol) and singing.
Haibane Renmei is pretty good. There's nothing violent but it has such an in depth meaning and mystery talking about life so it may be a bit hard for a child to understand. It may be better for a person a little older to warch to contemplate what's going on.
Ultra Maniac is ADORIBLE. I mean, it's clever and funny and any age can enjoy it.
Pretear is good. It's rated PG. They just say "crap" occasionally and it's just sparkles when people fight and is not graphic.
Azumanga Daioh is great, but sometimes it has alchohal references to make it funnier and sometimes it mentions about girls in bathing suits or underwear (very subtle and isn't that bad on a scale of pervertedness :P)
Tokyo Mew Mew would be good because it's sweet, cute, and has a few "Sailor Moon" type of superhero stuff in it.
Of course, there's Sailor Moon and Pokemon. Also the corny Digimon, which I thought was awesome when I was like in 2-5 grade. lol.
Doraemon is HUGE in Japan. I don't think I spelled it right, but it's a kid show.
---

See? :D There's a lot of kid friendly animes! It's also sort of funny that you mentioned Hello Kitty because last week I just BOUGHT the DVD set of Hello Kitty's little TV show. It's so cute. :3
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby ruisu81 » Thu 06.14.2007 9:48 pm

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but if you're looking for something with a "Disney Classic" feel, check out Legend of Sirius. Even if you're not, it's a really good story.

Trailer (don't read the comments: spoilers)

Actually...come to think of it I THINK this is a kids movie.
Last edited by ruisu81 on Thu 06.14.2007 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ruisu81

Postby Dehitay » Fri 06.15.2007 11:37 am

2 series I haven't seen mentioned yet are Card Captor Sakura and Ground Defense Force Mao-chan. I remember them both being cute to a point of being hilarious, and both are well suited for children
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby Thelostcup » Tue 07.31.2007 2:48 pm

SirFirestorm wrote:
I forgot ichigo mashimaro! :o that is a really great lighthearted comedy series! but zen im pretty sure the older sister is age 20 in the japanese version, it's the only one I watched.

Azumanga is very good too but some of the comedy is japanese cultural jokes, other than that no violence and a great series.

Azumanga is one of my favorite series, but I'd probably be careful about showing that to your mom.

It's targetted toward teenage boys, so the humor might offend some people (Kimura sensei), also there's a bit a cussing (I don't know if it's in the dubbed version or not). Otherwise it's fairly clean.
Thelostcup

Postby Tspoonami » Tue 07.31.2007 2:57 pm

Everything I've seen by Azuma Kiyohiko seems child-appropriate. Yotsuba& especially... But I don't think that that has been animated yet.
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Postby Kenitai » Thu 08.02.2007 2:11 pm

School Rumble, enormously kid-friendly and you'll laugh your socks off out of this one.
Kenitai

Native language: Dutch

Previous

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions