Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Most overrated anime/manga ever

Most overrated anime/manga ever

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

Most overrated anime/manga ever

Postby Jumpman » Fri 06.22.2007 1:06 pm

Naruto.

Stale plot. Boring charaters. Art gets worse later on.
And tween fan base don't make it any better.

The only thing good was the first few volumes.

* Waits for 11-year old Naruto fans to flame me :P *
Need some money for Japanese learning material?
Check my blog for advice on how to get money with little to no effort.
Jumpman

RE: Most overrated anime/manga ever

Postby Teh_Freak » Fri 06.22.2007 2:30 pm

I've seen a few episodes (and I mean a few) and didn't really like it that much; I've heard Inuyasha is also pretty hyped up, but I haven't heard any of it. That's probably why I like the show.

Besides those 'huge' shows, the only others I've really gotten a liking to lately are Blood+, Ai Yori Aoshi and Ghost in the Shell.
リモコンがどこに置きましたか?
Teh_Freak

Postby TomboyishFF » Fri 06.22.2007 3:38 pm

The art looks bad on scanlations after the time skip, but it actually looks kinda cool actually fixed up. XD As for in general...I'd, sadly, have to agree. It's like he's getting lazier the more popular he gets.

Full Metal Alchemist, in regards to the topic. I just don't get what everyone loves about it. ):
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why is the japanese language so much more fun than the french language? D:<
Kanji: Crying at how little I know
TomboyishFF

Postby SirFirestorm » Fri 06.22.2007 4:33 pm

I liked naruto in the beginning. Action packed progressive plot, great characters. I don't watch it anymore though, it got worse and worse.

oopsie daisy

As for me, Lucky Star gets mixed reviews. They brought in an all star cast, kyoto animation company, overhyped it to hell and then released a "Comedy" that is NOT FUNNY. They kept viewers with some fanboy advertising clips, changed the director, and scrounged up enough parody material to make 4 good episodes out of 12 so far. Too bad kyoto animations has such a big enough budget and fanbase to put out 24 failtacular episodes.
Last edited by SirFirestorm on Sun 06.24.2007 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
SirFirestorm

Postby Kashin » Sat 06.23.2007 3:22 am

I agree. Naruto was awesome when it was still kindof small and unknown outside of the Otaku community. Once the anime started on Cartoon Network/WB it all went downhill. It lost all of it's otakuness and turned into an over-marketed watered-down "kids" anime. I still like naruto and the plot/characters, etc. (see avatar) but as far as my interest and my motivation to buy any more past volume 8 I think i'll stick with more established manga.
What good is a farmer who tills the soil, but forgets the seed?

~落ち葉は風を恨まない~
Kashin

Postby Dehitay » Sat 06.23.2007 11:02 am

Naruto would have actually lived up to its rating if that overload of fillers didn't destroy it's greatness. They even had one episode that was nothing but flashbacks (and flashbacks of flashbacks).

But still, even more overrated than Naruto is Evangelion in my opinion. So many people were telling me how great the show was and yet it was annoyingly inconsistent. Shinji has 3 revelations throughout the show that promised he would become a better person, and then every time, he was the same cowardly whiney brat the very next episode.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby beautifulhispanicandblack » Sat 06.23.2007 12:23 pm

yea
beautifulhispanicandblack

Postby SirFirestorm » Sat 06.23.2007 2:29 pm

Nobody likes Shinji. -_-

Evangelion was a very original series at the time mixing psychological thriller with an action genre. It had many biblical references and life/death themes that is attributed to jump starting other later series. The characters were really good too aside from shinji, he's kind of like a running joke of loser character archetypes.
Even saying all that though, I dont rank it as one my top anime, although I wouldnt call it overrated, it wasnt that epic, certainly wasnt bad though and it gets points for originality, something you dont see much of these days. Just my opinion though.
One series i'm watching right now very similar to the themes of Evangelion is called Bokurano if you want to check out something new. The manga is really good, the anime is hmm... ;) gotta wait and see.

Another overrated series I can think of... Shuffle. A harem anime in the age of harem anime, not even close to the level of being good. I dont like the fake plots and cliched love stories mashed together for the sake of fanservice. Devoid of comedy, the story revolves around a little love triangle, lots of girls, boobs, and tops it off with a bad ending. The characters and animation were good though, just everything else was bad... =(
SirFirestorm

Postby hopu-chan » Sat 06.23.2007 3:10 pm

This thread makes me very sad...
I LOVE NARUxHINA!!!!!!!!!!! :@
You are slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter.
hopu-chan

Postby TomboyishFF » Sat 06.23.2007 3:51 pm

SirFirestorm wrote:

As for Full metal Alchemist, you are entitled to your opinion but ignorance is really nothing to brag about. If you cant even put a reason why you dont like it other than you dont understand the complex plot themes, I dont know what to tell you other than watch simpler anime titles.

...Woah, alright. Was there really a reason to flame me? <_< Sorry, next time I'll write a more detailed explanation. I didn't say anything about 'not understanding the complex plot themes', so how could you say that? XD; Does the fact I don't like bubblegum ice cream have to come with a detailed explanation as to why not, as well? I like FMA, sure, it's an OK anime, in my opinion, but I don't see why nearly every anime fan rates it as his/her #1 anime.

...What was I bragging about, anyways? I was just giving my honest opinion. ):

Still. I don't want a flame-war. So I'll leave it at sorry, next time I'll explain more thoroughly the reasons of my opinion. u_u

Evangelion always sounded like a cool anime, but I've never watched it, sadly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why is the japanese language so much more fun than the french language? D:<
Kanji: Crying at how little I know
TomboyishFF

Postby SirFirestorm » Sat 06.23.2007 6:28 pm

That was kind of the point of this, when people dislike something it is usually for a reason. "Just not getting it" made me think you don't know what you're talking about. That's all. On the internets you will find people disagreeing with your anime tastes, sorry if I offended you.
SirFirestorm

Postby flammable hippo » Sat 06.23.2007 6:38 pm

That was kind of the point of this, when people dislike something it is usually for a reason. "Just not getting it" made me think you don't know what you're talking about. That's all. On the internets you will find people disagreeing with your anime tastes, sorry if I offended you.

Just to let you know, he never said anything about not understanding the show or just not getting the show. He did say however that he didn't understand why other people liked it. His comment had nothing to do with his ability to comprehend the anime, merely his lack of ability to comprehend why people think so highly of it. Big difference.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Native language: English

Postby Kisshu » Sat 06.23.2007 6:43 pm

KILL NARUTO!
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Postby punkgrl326 » Sat 06.23.2007 7:51 pm

As a Naruto fan I have to agree that the story's getting pretty lame. I'll read the manga once in a while but I just can't stand the post-time-skip anime. It just drags on and on. It's really starting to kill my interest, and what's worst people at my school are going on like it's the best anime ever created, even more than DBZ. It's a shame really because in the beginning Naruto was actually pretty good, but it just went downhill during the filler arc.
"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily."

-Thomas Szasz
punkgrl326

Postby SirFirestorm » Sun 06.24.2007 3:49 am

flammable hippo wrote:Just to let you know, he never said anything about not understanding the show or just not getting the show. He did say however that he didn't understand why other people liked it. His comment had nothing to do with his ability to comprehend the anime, merely his lack of ability to comprehend why people think so highly of it. Big difference.

Yea, I misread it looking back now, sorry. =(

It a pet peeve of mine, when I'm all anime geek mode with a buddy of mine.

Me: You don't like (some highly acclaimed anime)? How come?
Buddy: I dont know, I didnt like it so I stopped watching.
Me: But what didnt you like about it? Its really good
Buddy: I dunno I didnt like it.
Me: What did you watch? what parts didnt you like?
Buddy: I dunno I just didnt like it.

I dont need an essay just an actual reason... all you can give me is "I just dont like it."
/sigh If you answer the question, "Why dont you like it" with something dumb like "Because I dont like it", what makes you think "Because I just dont like it" would be a better answer.
SirFirestorm

Next

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions