Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Worst Records

Worst Records

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

Worst Records

Postby kinch » Tue 07.05.2005 11:35 pm

I have a particular hate for most english dubs, and alot of times I feel very let down when I watch a non-fansub translation of a particular anime series. So, I've decided to offer a thread where people can vote for the worst that Americanised Anime has to offer. I won't actually have a real poll, just let people make their own comments.

Worst dub ever:
Great Teacher Onizuka

Without a doubt this was the worst casting in the history of mankind. And so consistently bad. Every single character was given a voice that totally ruined them. ugh. With a capital UGH.

Worst translation ever:
Rurouni Kenshin

This category is for actually changing the content/context of the original. The translation (subtitles) in this release aren't that bad, but the english dub just totally changed what the characters say for no reason other than to make it more "acceptable" to American audiences. ugh.

Worst anime ever:
Inuyasha

I only added this last comment because we have an abundance of fans here who see a few episodes of Inuyasha and suddenly "OMG! This is the greatest thing I've ever seen!". While I have watched the series (in japanese), and enjoyed most of it, there are better series out there, and everyone who thinks Inuyasha is the best thing ever really needs to expand their horizons.
kinch

RE: Worst Records

Postby zengargoyle » Wed 07.06.2005 1:24 am

Re: Rurouni Kenshin translation

can somebody please give some examples of Kenshin's speech pattern in the original japanese? in the dub it seems that he's always saying things like "that's a fine sword. yes it is." or "i really like this place. yes i do." ... there's often a seperate little confirmation phrase after most sentences.
is this just a speech pattern? does he always put a ね or よ after everything he says? curious minds want to know. :)
zengargoyle

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 07.06.2005 1:57 am

I have some rurouni kenshin comics sitting on the backburner because they're such a holy freaking pain to read. I'll snip out some quotes when I get home.

If memory serves, he speaks in a very roundabout and polite manner that may or may not come off as kind of bumpkin-ish. The voice in the English anime was cute for maybe the first episode, after which it was more like "STOP SPEAKING LIKE A RETARDED YODA!!!"

*giggles* Now I'm going to be amused at the idea of a retarded yoda for the rest of the day.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby natemb » Wed 07.06.2005 4:34 am

zengargoyle, Kenshin uses an old-fashioned version of the word "desu", which is "degozaru". (and degozaruna and degozaruyo for desune and desuyo). An example would be "私の名前はけんしんでござる" (watashino namaewa kenshin degozaru - my name's kenshin).

You may notice that "degozaru" is the plain form of "degozaimasu", which is the more formal way of saying "desu" that is used today. To the best of my knowledge, degozaru comes across as old-fashioned and polite, but not overly polite, maybe comparable to using "thou art" instead of "you are" in English? I think that "yes it is" is a pretty bad way to translate it. It's not repetitive, just archaic.

So, back on the topic, I would also have to say the Kenshin dubs are the worst I've come across. I generally don't like to watch any anime dubbed in English, even things like Princess Mononoke, which was released in both languages with famous actors doing the voices. Maybe it's just because I don't know enough Japanese to tell when there's bad voice acting.

As for good dubs, I thought the dub for Trigun was pretty good, but I never heard the original voices.
natemb

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 07.06.2005 7:28 am

Sorry, I seem to have sold my Kenshin books. ;)

I do remeber him saying gozaru alot. But there was another phrase that he used that I can't quite remember what it was. Other than Dono, anyhow.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby jaela » Thu 07.21.2005 12:32 pm

I think the best dubs I have heard so far are cowboy bebop (the only one I like 100% better than the originasl audio) and also, trigun.

It's interesting to note that while spike sounded good in the english dub, it just didn't work when they did GTO, considering that they are done by the same actor. I agree that in the dubbing for GTO, character development was ruined because of the bad voices. Which was a shame becasue I think we have in there a gret set of characters. I haven't seen the dubbed version of samurai champloo though. They say that the person who did spike was also the voice for mugen, so I hope that turned out pretty good ... :)
jaela

Postby Shibakoen » Thu 07.21.2005 9:17 pm

Kinch, can you suggest some of the "better anime?" I really like Watanabe Shinichiro's works Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo, but haven't found anything else comparable. Everything else is monsters and aliens and bad plot lines.
Shibakoen

Postby mithrila » Thu 07.21.2005 10:11 pm

Another note about Kenshin's style of speaking is that he uses "sessha" which, if you have read Clay's bit about talking like a samurai, this will sound real familier. "Sessha" basically means "this humble one." He uses "de gozaru" a lot, but when he gets mad, he goes to more regular Japanese speech, without the "sessha." He calls Kaoru, "Kaoru-dono" which I think got dubbed as "Miss Kaoru":@ *stupid dubbers*
Best blond moment (said to a Japanese person):

\"Can you understand Anime without the subtitles on?\"

*sigh* I wish I could claim that one!
mithrila

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions